• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is Rugby doomed to be a second tier sport in Oz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 02:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The complexity of the rules and interpretations in Union will never be attractive to women, who are half the audience

Women love AFL â€" It doesn’t matter where they are from, they love AFL:
2 reasons â€" They wear short shorts, and the rules are simple â€" There basically aren’t any rules, its simple game which can be explained to women.

Soccer is also farely simple sport to follow â€" The rules are black n white in most cases.

Rugby Union â€" Well the amount of times, the commentators disagree with the referee, and then talk about interpretation, and then on top of this â€" The players standing there with arms in the air, and we get explained by the commentators one thing, then the ref on the TV says another â€" There is no level ground of comprehention, it’s a farcical farce ‘hands in the ruck’, didn’t stay on feet, came in from the side, deliberate this, unintentional that, accidental this â€" try telling that to your girl and her friends â€" They run away.

Rugby League â€" Well its no coincidence this sport derived from union, and had its worse year of officiating, and also has trouble attracting women to the game, partly due to off field stuff, but the complexity of the rules also play a role. League seems to posses the same obsession at commentary and officiating levels to look into the smallest things and make a call, which turns into a rule. The problem is again interpretation. The new obstruction rule is shambles â€" its interpretated.

I don’t know how they can fix it â€" but it turns women away from sport, who only want to know how points are scored â€" What the ref does better be easy to understand, and in league and union it isn’t.[/b]

This is really only a problem in Australia where rugby league has infected the masses.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That's funny.

I don't watch rugby league because I think it's a boring one dimensional retarted-fish frog sport.[/b]

Exactly, and its the same response from all the union fans.
its about entertainment at the end of the day for me - Union WAS more free flowing and everyone knows this
Watching a sport that 85% of the points scored are from infringements and penalties - and not from attacking dominence over defensive flaws, referee REMOVED from the equation - doesnt do it for me

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This is really only a problem in Australia where rugby league has infected the masses.[/b]

MASSES = $$
Its only a problem in australia - I agree - Its what this thread is about.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 02:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is really only a problem in Australia where rugby league has infected the masses.[/b]

MASSES = $$
[/b][/quote]

The problem is that if Australia were winning big matches and playing attractive rugby then we wouldn't be discussing this.

And of course we need a proper 3rd tier competition.

Rugby is flourishing all over the world, but it's only in Australia do you see these kinds of complaints about the style of the game, the rules, blah blah blah blah blah...

My philosophy is a simple one - if you don't like it, don't watch it.

Also, my girlfriend doesn't have a problem with the rules. And she thinks all rugby league players and fans are a bunch of idiot rapist thugs.

Women huh?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The problem is that if Australia were winning big matches and playing attractive rugby then we wouldn't be discussing this.

My philosophy is a simple one - if you don't like it, don't watch it.[/b]

yep - they need the big 4 who play nrl - they will provide more spark than the current crop of strangers wth no ability

tv ratings prove what we watch - and under your philosphy what we like - and thats U20 Toyota Cup ahead of Waratah S14 rugby! (Yep the U20's outrated plenty of Tahs matches this season)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 01:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My philosophy is a simple one - if you don't like it, don't watch it.[/b]

yep - they need the big 4 who play nrl - they will provide more spark than the current crop of strangers wth no ability
tv ratings prove what we watch - and under your philosphy what we like - and thats U20 Toyota Cup ahead of Waratah S14 rugby! (Yep the U20's outrated plenty of Tahs matches this season)
[/b][/quote]

Why would rugby want more overhyped, overpaid rugby league converts who struggle to adapt to the game and then return to the rugby league a few years later to ***** and moan about it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Rugby is flourishing all over the world, but it's only in Australia do you see these kinds of complaints about the style of the game, the rules, blah blah blah blah blah...[/b]

Its no coincedence only in australia does a similar code exist, that is well funded and televised at all levels

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
would rugby want more overhyped, overpaid rugby league converts who struggle to adapt to the game and then return to the rugby league a few years later to ***** and moan about it?[/b]

You make it sound like they all fail - I'll have you know they dont all fail.

Is the **** poor effort from Tahu the foundation of your arguement?

Matt Giteau hasnt come back to league

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rugby is flourishing all over the world, but it's only in Australia do you see these kinds of complaints about the style of the game, the rules, blah blah blah blah blah...[/b]

Its no coincedence only in australia does a similar code exist, that is well funded and televised at all levels
[/b][/quote]

I think it's fair to say that Australia (well, NSW and QLD at least) is unfortunately the only country (with Papua New Guinea) where rugby league is a more high profile sport.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 01:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
would rugby want more overhyped, overpaid rugby league converts who struggle to adapt to the game and then return to the rugby league a few years later to ***** and moan about it?[/b]

You make it sound like they all fail - I'll have you know they dont all fail.

Matt Giteau hasnt come back to league - I guess the $$ in the pocket is enough to keep him yawning
[/b][/quote]

Matt Giteau only played rugby league as a kid.

If you were to actually make a valid point you could have brought up Berrick Barnes, or Jason Robinson.

The success stories are very few.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If you were to actually make a valid point you could have brought up Berrick Barnes, or Jason Robinson.

The success stories are very few.[/b]

I know of these - We all do, but its all arguable - Lets agree to disagree on the converts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 02:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Matt Giteau only played rugby league as a kid.[/b]

dude he only played league up until he was 11, when he changed schools and the new school had a compulsory rule, if you played league, you played union, so one union code didnt suffer at the school....he played both codes until he left shool

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/austral...0362064359.html
[/b][/quote]

Yes. Matt Giteau only played rugby league as a kid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 02:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dude he only played league up until he was 11, when he changed schools and the new school had a compulsory rule, if you played league, you played union, so one union code didnt suffer at the school....he played both codes until he left shool

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

when u say kid, you make it sound like he didnt pass under 10's.
'kids' play up until under 18's

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 02:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 02:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

when u say kid, you make it sound like he didnt pass under 10's.
'kids' play up until under 18's
[/b][/quote]

That's right.

Earlier you made the rather illogical suggestion (which you've obviously edited when you realised how stupid the statement was) that money was the only thing keeping him in rugby, despite the fact that he had quit playing rugby league by the end of high school.

And you also tried to compare Giteau to the recent converts who played professionally in the NRL without a rugby background.

Dumb.

he was forced to quit league, by the union honchos at his high school
its all in the article, everyone can read and comprehend
it wasnt really a decision he made by independent choice, he was avenued into the inevitable
was a good decision too - or this thread WOULD READ "IS NOW A 2ND TIER CODE" - Without Giteau the Wallabies couldnt beat the pumas, and if we start losing to the argies, the other codes will thrive

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 03:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
he was forced to quit league, by the union honchos at his high school
its all in the article, everyone can read and comprehend
it wasnt really a decision he made by independent choice, he was avenued into the inevitable
was a good decision too - or this thread WOULD READ "IS NOW A 2ND TIER CODE" - Without Giteau the Wallabies couldnt beat the pumas, and if we start losing to the argies, the other codes will thrive[/b]

Obviously not.

He didn't have to give up rugby league... he CHOSE to so he could continue playing in the first XV for Eddies.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MASSES = $$
[/b][/quote]

Thanks ak47

To reiterate somewhat Rugby is problematic in Australia due to it drifting out of public sight, the S14 for example isn't on free to air in any form. In Australia the ARU have to compete for viewers and sponsor dollars with the dominate AFL, the NRL (which has had a bad year except where it counts in terms of viewing figures, finances etc), and the growth of Soccer (expect another surge in player numbers if the national team do well again at the World Cup).

In order to survive in a crowded market, and remember we aren't even mentioning netball, hockey, various horse related sports etc, something needs to be done that doesn't involve JON's grandiose ideas for S15, which is not going to sell to the average punter outside the major centers.

The danger here is the hinterland could pretty much turn it's back on Union and adopt other sports. For example the Central Coast is the fastest growing region in Australia but only has one nation league team .. the Mariners in the "A" league. There's a proposal in for an NRL franchise, and if they happens it's going to be pretty much good night to Union in this region.

A re-vamped ARC with in depth coverage is needed. JON needs to spend some money around the traps or pretty soon he is going to find Rugby becomes even less relevant to the public.

I keep pointing to the complete implosion of the NBL as an example of what happens to a sport in this country if it does not maintain a free to air presence.

just my two cents; I wish i could call rugby a tier 2 sport...but rugby here really isn't even on a tier. or if it is, it's behind

Hockey, Football (gridiron), Baseball, Soccer, basketball, and yes - even golf.

They are trying to increase it's popularity here, with the creation of the BC Bears, and the introduction of the Americas Rugby Championship, and there are even talks of building a rugby stadium to lure international matches to British Columbia, Canada.

Which i think would improve rugby here greatly - with international experience and to create a larger fan base. Cause as it is now it's like professionals playing amateurs when canada plays anyone else other than america.

Latest posts