• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is Rugby doomed to be a second tier sport in Oz

Its quiet amazing how much bad publicity the NRL received this year, yet they smashed records in ratings and attendances.

Its all about the product, and its entertainment value

Even at administration levels the NRL are amateur, they have split ownership which conflicts many interests in TV deal/rights, sponsorship and marketing avenues â€" The judiciary system is a joke, the referees are a joke â€" Yet somehow they have a product watched by more people.

They have less $$ to pay their players, there is little or no International value in rugby league

It speaks volumes the BIG 4 contribute to the game.

They are the countries greatest talents, they bring people together to watch what they do

Like Crickets BIG4 Warny, McGrath, Gilly and Punter â€" These guys changed the face of cricket in Australia to what it is today, and look at the strength of cricket â€" which was shambles in the 80’s, and its break-away rebel tours etc

The BIG4 are an exceptional batch of talent all come off the conveyor belt in the same decade â€" For them to ALL play League is a scouting/recruiting oversight by the ARU â€" And the NRL is now very strong and will be a lot stronger for it â€" just like cricket.

Union needs something â€"Its waining away because the current crop of players aren’t worth watching. (cricket Australia problem in the 80’s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
he was forced to quit league, by the union honchos at his high school
its all in the article, everyone can read and comprehend
it wasnt really a decision he made by independent choice, he was avenued into the inevitable

was a good decision too - or this thread WOULD READ "IS NOW A 2ND TIER CODE" - Without Giteau the Wallabies couldnt beat the pumas, and if we start losing to the argies, the other codes will thrive[/b]
Yes, it was horrible how the school he went to held the gun to his head and made him play for his 1st XV...that entire point is rediculious. In my school, if you have other priorities, besides school work, that could endanger your input into the 1st XV, you are not put in the team. Simple. First XV is a priority over other sports, that is what you agree to when you go in it. If there is another sport you are more interested in then you join that sport team and play social rugby. What about that is unfair?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 14 2009, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What about that is unfair?[/b]

Ask the man Matt Giteau himself
http://For a while, Matt Giteau remained part of the same insurgency. "They really build up the First XV and make that team the be-all and end-all," Giteau says, in language just that tiny bit more clipped, more carefully phrased, than that of your average NRL player.

"By the time you hit year 11 and year 12 ... they told me if I wanted to play First XV, I had to give up league - so I did." Fair? "Not really, but if you wanted to play in that top team, that's what they were saying. But league at that time was getting a bit stale for me and I was starting to enjoy my union.

I saw no reason why I shouldn't give it up."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Obviously not.

He didn't have to give up rugby league... he CHOSE to so he could continue playing in the first XV for Eddies.[/b]

lol :lol:
being told these are your options - is not really making your own decision - its certainly not what he wanted which was to continue playing both.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Obviously not.

He didn't have to give up rugby league... he CHOSE to so he could continue playing in the first XV for Eddies.[/b]

lol :lol:
being told these are your options - is not really making your own decision - its certainly not what he wanted which was to continue playing both.
[/b][/quote]

ak47... welcome to the real world...

He had to make a choice between which sport he wanted to pursue as a career... he chose rugby... he couldn't have both... in the end no one can...

St Edmunds didn't tell him he couldn't play rugby league. They told him that if he wanted to be part of their first XV then he couldn't also play league.

You have to grow up sometime.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
it wasnt really a decision he made by independent choice, he was avenued into the inevitable
was a good decision too - or this thread WOULD READ "IS NOW A 2ND TIER CODE" - Without Giteau the Wallabies couldnt beat the pumas, and if we start losing to the argies, the other codes will thrive[/b]

:lol: If you actually saw any of Australia's tri nations games you would see Giteua is a very overated international flyhalf. One advantage is NRL clubs pay players, inc. rep players.. while the ARU top up the Wallaby players, which is why it can be harder to drop the Giteuas and the Tuqiris. Why cant the ARU give out money to each union, have a salary cap and Wallabies are payed on money payments. Current top up system is a joke.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smartcooky @ Oct 13 2009, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cannot see why the ARU could not make use if the strongest Rugby competitions they have outside the Wallabies and the Super 14; the two existing Sydney and Brisbane Club competitions, the Shute Shield and the Hospitals Cup.

Why not have a sort of Australian Superbowl of Rugby.

At the completion of the two club seasons, take the top four Shute Shield teams and the top four Hospitals Cup teams, and throw them together in a Super 8 series.

► Each team carries forward the table points and points for/against from their matches against the other three teams that make the Super 8.

► Each Sydney team plays each Brisbane team (four matches each team) two teams at home in each city each weekend

► Top four make the semis (1 v 4, 2 v 3)

► Draft a couple of players into each team from the Brumbies, Force (and if they make it, the Rebels)

This would give Wallaby and Super 14 players a good 6 week comp at the end of the club season.

It would take advantage of the fierce Blue/Maroon rivalry.[/b]

Because the club competitions are of a poor standard. It's semi-amateur rugby.

Seriously, the top Canberra clubs would even do well in the Brisbane competition.

Actually, the top Canberra clubs would also be competitive in the Sydney competition... but no match for the poaching giants - Sydney Uni, Randwick etc.... although in a years time half of the Randwick team will be Canberrans... :lol:

Australian rugby seriously needed a professional competition that bridged the gap between backyard club rugby and the Super 14.

However I doubt it'll ever happen now with an extended Super series.
[/b][/quote]

Australia didn't need another competition. The ARC was a joke. I seriously think SH rugby should follow the European model and have separate leagues then have a Heinekin cup. EG Aus/NZ league and a SA/ARG league. Then the heinekin cup/super cup attracts the top 4 from both leagues, maybe a Japanese team. When you only play 13 times a season Australian fans are over watching their team play 2/3 games at 1am in South Africa.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Oct 14 2009, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: If you actually saw any of Australia's tri nations games you would see Giteua is a very overated international flyhalf. One advantage is NRL clubs pay players, inc. rep players.. while the ARU top up the Wallaby players, which is why it can be harder to drop the Giteuas and the Tuqiris. Why cant the ARU give out money to each union, have a salary cap and Wallabies are payed on money payments. Current top up system is a joke.
[/b][/quote]

I actually saw them all - very painful
He may be overrated in some eyes, but god damn who else is there?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

He had to make a choice between which sport he wanted to pursue as a career... he chose rugby... he couldn't have both... in the end no one can...

St Edmunds didn't tell him he couldn't play rugby league. They told him that if he wanted to be part of their first XV then he couldn't also play league.

You have to grow up sometime.[/b]

I will never be told what sport I can play, and I will never be told when I can go to the toilet â€" All breeds within the private school system.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Oct 14 2009, 05:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smartcooky @ Oct 13 2009, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cannot see why the ARU could not make use if the strongest Rugby competitions they have outside the Wallabies and the Super 14; the two existing Sydney and Brisbane Club competitions, the Shute Shield and the Hospitals Cup.

At the completion of the two club seasons, take the top four Shute Shield teams and the top four Hospitals Cup teams, and throw them together in a Super 8 series.

► Each team carries forward the table points and points for/against from their matches against the other three teams that make the Super 8.

► Each Sydney team plays each Brisbane team (four matches each team) two teams at home in each city each weekend

► Draft a couple of players into each team from the Brumbies, Force (and if they make it, the Rebels)

This would give Wallaby and Super 14 players a good 6 week comp at the end of the club season.

Seriously, the top Canberra clubs would even do well in the Brisbane competition.

Actually, the top Canberra clubs would also be competitive in the Sydney competition... but no match for the poaching giants - Sydney Uni, Randwick etc.... although in a years time half of the Randwick team will be Canberrans... :lol:

Australian rugby seriously needed a professional competition that bridged the gap between backyard club rugby and the Super 14.

[/b][/quote]

Australia didn't need another competition. The ARC was a joke. I seriously think SH rugby should follow the European model and have separate leagues then have a Heinekin cup. EG Aus/NZ league and a SA/ARG league. Then the heinekin cup/super cup attracts the top 4 from both leagues, maybe a Japanese team. When you only play 13 times a season Australian fans are over watching their team play 2/3 games at 1am in South Africa.
[/b][/quote]

There's no point having a Japanese team in there if they're no better than the 14 teams we already have...

It'd also take some time for Argentina to get some good quality teams up to scratch.

The problem Australia has is that players not involved with Wallaby duties have NOTHING after the Super 14.

This leads to two things - more players heading overseas... and players being stuck playing in the backyard rugby comps which don't really help their development.

It's quite sad that as a top rugby nation we don't have a domestic competition.

Edit: I'd also like to add that for New Zealand and South Africa - the Super 14 is the southern hemisphere equal of the Heineken Cup... they have their own domestic competitions which are in line with the GP, Magners League and Top 14...

I think Australian fans need to realise that just because our situation isn't good then we shouldn't expect other countries to revise their setups to accommodate us...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 06:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to grow up sometime.[/b]

I will never be told what sport I can play, and I will never be told when I can go to the toilet â€" All breeds within the private school system.
[/b][/quote]

As interesting as this thread has become... I'd just like to pause for a moment and reflect on the point that Giteau obviously did not want to pursue rugby league professionally, and cannot be placed in the same category of professional rugby league players who converted to rugby union without any real experience in the game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Oct 14 2009, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I actually saw them all - very painful
He may be overrated in some eyes, but god damn who else is there?
[/b][/quote]

Berrick Barnes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Oct 14 2009, 05:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

There's no point having a Japanese team in there if they're no better than the 14 teams we already have...

It'd also take some time for Argentina to get some good quality teams up to scratch.

The problem Australia has is that players not involved with Wallaby duties have NOTHING after the Super 14.

This leads to two things - more players heading overseas... and players being stuck playing in the backyard rugby comps which don't really help their development.

Edit: I'd also like to add that for New Zealand and South Africa - the Super 14 is the southern hemisphere equal of the Heineken Cup... they have their own domestic competitions which are in line with the GP, Magners League and Top 14...

I think Australian fans need to realise that just because our situation isn't good then we shouldn't expect other countries to revise their setups to accommodate us...
[/b][/quote]

Making it a longer season and players will have something to do. In my eyes, S14 is no different to a magners league.. The NPC/ANZC can have the 5 Australian teams and its a provincial tournament again and none of the nickname rubbish. SA reverts to its currie cup, possibly having 1-2 Argentina teams. Then have a few weekends off which revolve around a HC and internationals.. season goes longer and players don't leave. Similar to the NH model which is getting better and better.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As interesting as this thread has become... I'd just like to pause for a moment and reflect on the point that Giteau obviously did not want to pursue rugby league professionally, and cannot be placed in the same category of professional rugby league players who converted to rugby union without any real experience in the game.[/b]

Yes...I should have stuck one of these :p in after bringing Giteau up

:)

OK, so a post season club competition between Sydney and Brisbane clubs wouldn't work due to lack of interest outside those areas.

Then what could you do to get those regions interested? Did the any teams in the ARC represent those regions in any way?

I see your problem as not having a "natural" regional setup the way NZ has its provinces. The States are too big, and there are only two of them anyway where rugby is really popular, and there are no further subdivisions (unless you count the parishes, counties and hundreds.)

That leaves you with NSW, NSW Country, ACT, QLD, QLD Country and maybe Victoria. Not much to work with I'm afraid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smartcooky @ Oct 14 2009, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
OK, so a post season club competition between Sydney and Brisbane clubs wouldn't work due to lack of interest outside those areas.

Then what could you do to get those regions interested? Did the any teams in the ARC represent those regions in any way?

I see your problem as not having a "natural" regional setup the way NZ has its provinces. The States are too big, and there are only two of them anyway where rugby is really popular, and there are no further subdivisions (unless you count the parishes, counties and hundreds.)

That leaves you with NSW, NSW Country, ACT, QLD, QLD Country and maybe Victoria. Not much to work with I'm afraid.[/b]

The ARC had teams that represented Sydney (city/east), Western Sydney, Central Coast NSW, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Canberra, Perth and Melbourne.

Obviously if there were to be another similar competition it could encompass those same areas.

The idea behind the ARC was right... but unfortunately it just was set up poorly... and some of the team names were just stupid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 14 2009, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I will never be told what sport I can play, and I will never be told when I can go to the toilet â€" All breeds within the private school system.[/b]

Without a private school education I wouldn't know how to wrap my penis around my wrist or play flaming arseholes with a bunch of other naked men. Kids don't do that **** in co-ed public schools, they're all too busy having sex and smoking ice.

Anyway, to be honest any public school student who is actually interested in rugby and has the goods will be poached and put on a sporting scholarship at Barker or Kings. What's left over are probably skilled players who would prefer to play league because of the bullshit class division that permeates the two codes in this country. It shows when you see public sides play, fifteen backs all wearing league shorts who have been roped in by a mate to play some posh c***s.

One thing (among others) private schools do have going for them in this country though is their forceful attitude towards sport. You might consider this coercive, but in a nation with lowering rates of team-sport participation- a growing prevalence of obesity, type 2 'diabetus' and circulatory disease; compulsory sport within the public school system is well warranted. Not only will it give fat shits a kick up the arse, it prevents potentially good sportsmen slipping through the cracks due to being disillusioned with their lack of natural ability (what is that at 12?) and/or opportunity to play.

All of this, of course, would hinge upon federal grants to state schools and thus a federal govt. that actually saw one of the largest health problems in our country as an issue worth addressing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Oct 14 2009, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Oct 14 2009, 05:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Making it a longer season and players will have something to do. In my eyes, S14 is no different to a magners league.. The NPC/ANZC can have the 5 Australian teams and its a provincial tournament again and none of the nickname rubbish. SA reverts to its currie cup, possibly having 1-2 Argentina teams. Then have a few weekends off which revolve around a HC and internationals.. season goes longer and players don't leave. Similar to the NH model which is getting better and better.
[/b][/quote]

Sorry the ANZC is neither ever going to include non Kiwi teams, by definition it's the premier domestic competition. Pretty sure zero of the G9 unions would agree to off shore provincial inclusion. Though the top couple of ANZC teams playing the top couple of Curry Cup teams would probably have some backing. Through in a team from Argentina, the Islands, and the winners from Sydney and Brisbane and that might float as a sort of end of year super league.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smartcooky @ Oct 14 2009, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
OK, so a post season club competition between Sydney and Brisbane clubs wouldn't work due to lack of interest outside those areas.[/b]

Nail on the head right there :bravo: And no inclusion in the ARC of teams outside the traditional power bases though plenty of applications went into the ARU for franchises, Central Coast, Central NSW are two I know of, whisper is there were a few others from this state alone. Think as far as they got was dropping a team down in Melbourne, which garnered jack all support.

Travel costs for a competition isn't worth it, it's better off having each states premier competition and televising it.

Latest posts