• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is Rugby doomed to be a second tier sport in Oz

What about to start off just televising more games? How can you expect people to be interested in the sport if they can't watch it. I think Jethro was also mentioning this somewhere. The very first step to be taken must be to broadcast Rugby Union on free-tv. I can't be bothered justifying it comprehensively right now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Private Schools seem to think they own you. I remember being told the same thing during my private educational time. I then realised the real world, in that I have options galore in the public system, and finally played AFL and League and @ the same time when I was 16. Its no coincidence by then I had played my last game of union. I still loved the game, but I was rebelling against the hard snotty nosed arrogant demographic that private schools populate.[/b]
Just because someone goes to a private school doesn't mean that you are snotty nosed and arrogant. That sounds like a stereotype that is generated by people from public schools, most of whom have tall poppy syndrome.

In response to what people were saying earlier, at my school playing both rugby and league is encouraged. Our 1XIII loos quite similar to our first XV. I don't see why the two sports can't live together. Saying someone can't play one sport is just ridiculous as long as they can still meet all their training commitments.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Nov 26 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I did not write this article, but its speaks volumes of the state of the game down here

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-...91126-jt5p.html[/b]

NRL match attendances have climbed an average of 300 people since 2007 while Super rugby has lost an average of 1300 per game.[/b]

Ouch!!!!! Must admit to being part of the 1300 non-attending in 2009

Again though I quote this:

All Blacks coach Graham Henry admitted in August that rugby's law makers need to think about "how we could improve the product, so that it's more enjoyable to play and better to watch".[/b]

THEN STOP TELLING YOUR GUYS TO KICK THE BALL ALL THE TIME!

Its no coincidence that all of this started with the referees dictat that the breakdown be more strictly policed earlier this year which has resulted in more penalties, more people being pinged and more aerial ping pong as nobody wants to get caught with the ball.

The 2009 Lions Series has been the exception to the rule so far in the past 18 months and that produced some of the best rugby of the decade and they didn't need any ELVs or rule changes to pull that off.

Saying we need to change the rules to encourage a return to what we were enjoying barely five years ago under the regular rules anyway is one of the most incredibly lazy and dangerous things I've heard out of Rugby's establishment since somebody suggested that collapsing the maul was safe.

Just:

1) Tell the referees to give the break down some slack.
2) Bring back rucking (not changing a rule, just bringing one back).
3) Get all the head coaches together and agree that a climbdown in physical gym work is needed to reduce the overall size and weight of rugby players by RWC 2015.
4) Shoot Morne Steyn the next time he kicks the ball.

There. Simples!

Latest posts