• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is Six Nations Expanding to Seven?

Rugby quality wise the 6 Nations standard is lower than TRC so in that regard it would be a down grade, however it makes sense both from a money and time zone perspective.

Out of the TRC teams only SA have a favourable TV schedule. Matches at 2am kills it for the casual fan.

Japan replacing SA makes a lot of sense again from a money and time perspective.

On a personal level it would suck no being able to watch the Boks live on a regular basis like I do now but I'm assuming they'll tour down in Aus and NZ?

I just think, from a global rugby perspective it would be a mistake. It would detract massively from the Rugby Championship and weight the balance of power (financially at least) even further in the Northern Hemisphere (even though SA would never actually be located in the norther hemisphere).

B*llocks to that.

Being a local tear up gives the 6N its unique flavour and makes it so great. It doesn't need to be bigger, it doesn't need to be "better". It ain't broke, so don't fix it.

If the Boks left TRC they might as well scrap it as the ABs 2nd XV would win at a canter every year.

But CVC might like the idea......

Rugby quality wise the 6 Nations standard is lower than TRC

Bit subjective really. You could argue that NZ drag TRC up and Italy drag the 6N down if you were looking at a quality weighted average. TRC don't have an Italy to bring the average ranking points per side down.

Personally I love the 6N and the 'local tear up' aspect as Old Hooker described plus all the hype and build up that goes with it. Today's Calcutta cup between England and Scotland for example was first played in 1879. There are certain fixtures and rivalries in the 6N that are truly captivating.

Last edited:
Personally as much as it would pretty much be one of the bigger sacrifices I would make I'd vote with my wallet on this one. I have no interest in any other teams outside Europe joining the premier NH tournament. I think relegation / promotion could be viable but doubt that any of the weaker teams in the current set up would vote for it. The gap between tier 1 and 2 needs serious effort (see Japan) to bridge and the resources simply aren't there.

South Africa are a fine team with an awesome heritage. They shouldn't be near the six nations............

Please no.

Geography should be the only factor and they're just not in the right part of the world. I don't know why people continue to try to f*** with the best tournament in the sport.

Ronan O'Gara speaking sense on Virgin at the minute.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. We've got a great thing here, we should stop trying to screw it up.

Ronan O'Gara speaking sense on Virgin at the minute.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. We've got a great thing here, we should stop trying to screw it up.

upload_2020-2-8_13-22-11.jpeg

"Correct!"

"Is six Nations expanding to seven?"
No.

We won't be going back to an odd numbered competition.
South Africa won't be joining (they've only been talking about trying for 25 years, it's never got beyond the stage of showing unhappiness with the trinations).

If we do expand, it will be locally, likely adding Georgia and Romania, but the most likely change would be to introduce promo and rele with the ENC.

I'd be amazed if any of the 6N, let alone all of them, agree to bring in SA.
The 6N is a success, it doesn't need SA.
The QN is commercially dodgy, which is why SA likes to throw its weight around and keep threatening to joing the 6N

I think if South Africa are accepted, then the competition will change even more after they have been established for a few years, because a Global Season will be the future.

I can see CVC wanting it.
But IIRC they don't own the 6N, and would still need the committee's support - which I don't see coming?

I'm far more worried about losing the 6N to pay-TV

Not until a global season with dates etc reorganised.
The more International fixtures the less the players can play for clubs , so could imagine huge backlash there.

Bit subjective really. You could argue that NZ drag TRC up and Italy drag the 6N down if you were looking at a quality weighted average. TRC don't have an Italy to bring the average ranking points per side down.

Personally I love the 6N and the 'local tear up' aspect as Old Hooker described plus all the hype and build up that goes with it. Today's Calcutta cup between England and Scotland for example was first played in 1879. There are certain fixtures and rivalries in the 6N that are truly captivating.

South Africa are World Champions.

I believe that the Southern Hemisphere TV Contracts are being renewed this year.

I wonder if this is the South Africans putting pressure on the Australians and New Zealanders to get a better a deal.

The Rugby Championship is (in my opinion) the best rugby competition. The last 4 world cup winners have come from the RC

South Africa are World Champions.

I believe that the Southern Hemisphere TV Contracts are being renewed this year.

I wonder if this is the South Africans putting pressure on the Australians and New Zealanders to get a better a deal.

The Rugby Championship is (in my opinion) the best rugby competition. The last 4 world cup winners have come from the RC
Definitely, SA are in great position for increasing money from TRC. They are WC and in a good time zone for 6N. The AB's and Aus will have to take a pay cut in the new TV contract. Either way both are going to be losing money.

Latest posts