• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is the 2021 Lions Tour Doomed?

@ArthurChat02 no, those are pm's between members

tap on the Rugby Forum logo at the top to go to the home page and then near the top should be a "Post Thread" button

your first thread better be a good one now

Last edited:
Aus offering to underwrite the entire tour... Smells like disaster to me.

I just dont see SA or the UK & Ireland being viable until next year. We dont know if there will be another strain yet appear and they dont even know if the current vaccines work against the SA variant

NZ and Australia for whatever reasons have this virus under better control and should be considered. There are many expats living in Aus from the UK, SA and Ireland who would happily watch. Not sure about the actual populations of Aus and NZ. From memory the 2013 tour wasnt really a sell out and I'm not sure what kind of interest the Kiwis would have in a none NZ game given they are fairly dismissive of Northern hemisphere rugby.
A Lions tour to Aus would sell out easily. Of course 2013 was a sell out. **** even the crappy pub i was working at at the time was booked out.

After refusing to participate in the RC, can SARU actually afford to host a tour that would almost certainly lose money without fans? That seems like the least likely option to me.

A Lions tour to Aus would sell out easily. Of course 2013 was a sell out. **** even the crappy pub i was working at at the time was booked out.

After refusing to participate in the RC, can SARU actually afford to host a tour that would almost certainly lose money without fans? That seems like the least likely option to me.
Was it? Seem to remember half empty stadiums and the Wartharhs fielding weakened teams to save their players for super rugby.

Was it? Seem to remember half empty stadiums and the Wartharhs fielding weakened teams to save their players for super rugby.
Oh dunno bout the warmups. Are they ordinarily a sellout in NZ and SA?

Guaranteeing sellouts in Australia sounds....optimistic at best
Think they'd be the only rugby nation I'd put money on not being able to sell out

If Bledisloe games aren't selling out there's no way a tour with two neutral sides will (especially as, as mentioned above, it didn't sell out when Australia was involved)

Do random warm up games that mean nothing sell out in Europe? Im constantly amazed by your appetite for sport.

I once worked as a steward (very long story) at a Championship game in Bristol and they packed it out. The ****?

We don't have anything like a Lions tour in Europe to compare it to.

Closest would be look at minnows games in the World Cup.

Proximity helps, as well - doubt you'll get many people flying from Perth to Brisbane to watch a dirt road game, whereas in the UK it's much easier to travel from one end of the country to the other to watch (comparatively) unimportant games

Anyway, the three actual games would sell out here. Highly unlikely the rest would.

Oh dunno bout the warmups. Are they ordinarily a sellout in NZ and SA?
Yes normally, admittedly Lions fans tend to make up 50% of the numbers and I believe there was a problem in 2009 SA due to the price of tickets but normally and thoughout the Lions history the warm up games get sold out.

Latest posts