• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is the 2021 Lions Tour Doomed?

So just so I'm clear here,

SA V Georgia canned
Bulls V Lions canned
And 2 Lions players now in self isolation...

Honestly even with my doomongering I didn't think it would go this badly just over a week into the tour.

Lots of talk about canning the weekly tour games, and playing only the tests plus the SA A game.

If the tour games do get cancelled, then the long run up to the actual tests could see a possible idea to move the tests to UK and Ireland, to increase revenue including spectators.

Should've done that to start with, tbh

Would it be possible on short notice?
Not sure how insurance n all that works out in the pro game (and I think Twickenham has a limit on games that can be played there per year? and there's been two more than usual due to the summer tours being moved)

South Africa is on the red list, as well - two weeks quarantine coming into the country for everyone, they'd need to leave sharpish (and then how would that effect prep - locked in a hotel room for two weeks)

Should've done that to start with, tbh

Would it be possible on short notice?
Not sure how insurance n all that works out in the pro game (and I think Twickenham has a limit on games that can be played there per year? and there's been two more than usual due to the summer tours being moved)

South Africa is on the red list, as well - two weeks quarantine coming into the country for everyone, they'd need to leave sharpish (and then how would that effect prep - locked in a hotel room for two weeks)

Where there is a will there is a way. I think Boris would love the idea of having the 3 tests at Twickenham in front of 80,000 fans.

I still think the most likely outcome is that the 3 tests will be played in South Africa. Not sure that all other games will happen though

Where there is a will there is a way. I think Boris would love the idea of having the 3 tests at Twickenham in front of 80,000 fans.

I still think the most likely outcome is that the 3 tests will be played in South Africa. Not sure that all other games will happen though
Why Twickenham? why not spread them around? one each Twickenham, Murrayfield, Millennium Stadium with SA A match in Dublin

The automatic arrogance thinking only Twickenham will do astounds me

Why Twickenham? why not spread them around? one each Twickenham, Murrayfield, Millennium Stadium with SA A match in Dublin

Only country stupid enough to be easing restrictions enough to make it worthwhile, monetarily

I did say UK & Ireland in my original post. But Oly's point is valid about lifted restrictions allowing paying spectators in.

What about other large footy stadiums in different parts of the country to create a slight impression of a tour feeling.

But would have definitely loved to have seen the Lions tour the Unions home stadiums too!

Think now they are in S.A it is too late. Maybe if the decision was made before they left.

Thinks its all too late. Twickers rules and local residents probably precludes it no matter how much Johnson would want it.

It would be the best option due to attached hotel and the ability to use the stoop as possible training ground. But again all in the past now.

I can see them making a movie out of this tour. Invictus 2. In this case it will be the Boks and the Lions linking arms to defeat the virus with an amazing show of rugby.

Gatland sounded like he had the c virus in his interviews prior to the japan game.

Four more positives in the Boks camp, bringing the total to 26 (14 players - 12 staff)

Six more positive players named:

Looks like their bubble is protecting the public from the Boks rather than the other way round

I know someone was saying the players are double varied. But the way its gone through he teams there's no way they are or they've had placebos.

Six more positive players named:

Looks like their bubble is protecting the public from the Boks rather than the other way round

My reading is that there are only 6 positive players in the camp