• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is there a better big game player than Thierry Dusautoir?

Morne Steyn is one of the guys that has the most BMT... Well at least he used to have...

Jacque Fourie and big Victor too. Victor not so much recently but he's got to be considered top 3 locks of professional era on his past performances. Here they are working some sweet magic together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RR-ljRCIT8

- - - Updated - - -

No mercy!! Ma'a Nonu will be quaking in his boots

Barritt's the kind of player that when faced with a blatant clean break opportunity, would slow down and give the ball to his opposite number just so he could tackle him again.

Barritt's the kind of player that when faced with a blatant clean break opportunity, would slow down and give the ball to his opposite number just so he could tackle him again.

I actually can't think of a response to that... you've pretty much summed up Brad Barritt perfectly

Shane williams

- - - Updated - - -

Also Gavin Henson was a big game player in the 2005 6nations lol!!
For Wales I think martyn Williams has to be up there

Apart from win everything?
Premiership, Challenge, Heineken, Grand Slam, World Cup......absolutely nothing.
Top 14, IRB International Player of the Year, European Player of the Year, SPOTY, ;)

Top 14, IRB International Player of the Year, European Player of the Year, SPOTY, ;)

He never won with the Lions. Lost in 2001. Injured in 2005 I think?? Wasn't there in 2009.

He never won with the Lions. Lost in 2001. Injured in 2005 I think?? Wasn't there in 2009.
Yeah I've edited that out, I misread the last result I get 1997 & 2001 mixed up.

Shane williams

- - - Updated - - -

Also Gavin Henson was a big game player in the 2005 6nations lol!!
For Wales I think martyn Williams has to be up there

Good shouts there. Also Dwayne Peel, he was a fantastic scrumhalf.

For us another god shout is David Wallace. A fine fine 7.

Apart from win everything?
Premiership, Challenge, Heineken, Grand Slam, World Cup......absolutely nothing.

So, some junior series stuff? What about the real rugby games. Can't say he's done much else other than always been injured.

So, some junior series stuff? What about the real rugby games. Can't say he's done much else other than always been injured.
Hope that's a little younger in cheek. I think it's fair to say with Wilkinson how large his honours list would be had he not spent the best part of 8 years injured during what should of been his prime.

Hope that's a little younger in cheek. I think it's fair to say with Wilkinson how large his honours list would be had he not spent the best part of 8 years injured during what should of been his prime.

Neil Jenkins and his trusty boot won many a game for Wales and a Lions series in SA, he is now helping produce World class kickers in H'penny and Biggar for Wales and of course the last victorious Lions team.
Had Neil played more behind a dominate pack he would have received many more plaudits.

81st minute is just trying to get a rise out of people by slagging off all things non-Kiwi and all things southern hemisphere. Either that or he is a youngster. If not, then he is the most one eyes All Blacks fan in the history of rugby.

- - - Updated - - -

Neil Jenkins and his trusty boot won many a game for Wales and a Lions series in SA, he is now helping produce World class kickers in H'penny and Biggar for Wales and of course the last victorious Lions team.
Had Neil played more behind a dominate pack he would have received many more plaudits.

True enough. He was probably the best kicker in history in term of consistency and he's clearly passed on his methods to Biggar and Halfpenny. I still think Owen Farrell is the guy I would most like to have lining up to take crunch kicks though. That kid never misses.

Dusautoir seems back to his best level after 4 lackluster years, he was dominant yesterday against Canada.
He'embodies the big-game player type as he only really turns it on at every world cup...

Dusautoir steps up in big time games and is a clutch player.

As is(was) BOD, Victor Matfield, George Smith, Richie McCaw, and of course Sebastien Chabal who played like a psycho against the All Blacks.

I would say Jonny Wilkinson was at times too, Dan Carter won games in his prime by almost his own effort.

It's now NFL season so I struggle remembering too much about Super Rugby, but currently David Pocock, Faf De Klerk, Willie Le Roux, Liam Coltman, Elliot Dixon, Nasi Manu, Jorge Taufua, Charles Piutau, and Nemani Nadolo are up there too. Lima Sopoaga and Marty Banks have showed up in big game occasions too but that's a shameless Highlanders plug.

I wouldn't have guys like Beauden Barrett, Bernard Foley, Nick Phipps etc. - choke.

Against Australia, Jonah Lomu!

Also against Australia, (particularly in 2011) Jerome Kaino. I just wish he played a bit better this world cup, here's hoping.

Last edited:

Latest posts