• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is Will Greenwood the greatest commentator ever?

Is Big Will the greatest?

• More than likely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. Yes he is

• Commentating God. Nuff Said.

• Total voters
R

RC

Ok, ladies and gentlemen.
This poll is very difficult. Do you claim Will Greenwood MBE is the greatest, do you claim that he is a commentating god? I'll leave that up to you.
Will%20Greenwood.jpg

He sees beauty in the game - his words flow from him like poetry.
He says things people wouldn't normally say whilst commentating...the man is amazing!

The man is a total genius. Enough said.

When playing, he flowed through gaps and caressed balls into the arms of waiting players like a true gentleman. He never was over the top, he didn't need to do dopey things like pass balls between his legs like some special needs student. He didn't even take the credit for most of his moves, passes or tries, the satisfaction of a job well done was enough.

And now, he brings his enormous skills to bear on the microphone. And by golly what a tremendous relief that he has a superb pundit and comentator!

Everyone has neglected to mention his exquisite control of the written word. The man writes like he speaks - pure gold.

A very good point Webby, i think we should all appreciate how good his articles are when he writes for the Telegraph.
I am as of yet to read (or purchase) his autobiagraphy - as long as it wasn't ghost written then i assume it will be an absolute joy.

A very good point Webby, i think we should all appreciate how good his articles are when he writes for the Telegraph.
I am as of yet to read (or purchase) his autobiagraphy - as long as it wasn't ghost written then i assume it will be an absolute joy.
[/b]

Trust me, if you like him now, you'll declare a new religion when you read his autobiograpghy.

I'm sure most people know about the problems he and his wife had during pregnancies - now I'm not usually one to get openly emotional, but some passages almost had me in tears. Genuinely.

And that's besides all the beautifully written stuff about rugby itself. My signed copy (Oh yes, I'm that cool) has a pride of place on my bookshelf. Shorter than some, but probably the best sporting autobiography I've read.

He's a good commentator, but not great. My favourite is Johnathan Davies because the stuff he comes out with is really funny.

Yes. He is.

Although I love Murray Mexted at the moment, who just seems to stumble through a match.

GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENWOOOOOOOD!

greenwood is very good
jd is also very good, not many english like him though :/

mexted is hysterical

I've never heard him commentate unfortunately, but from this thread and from what I have heard frm others he must be pretty bloody good!

Does anyone have any snippets of his commentary? Any youtube videos or anything?

Sorry, but Johnathan Davies is a knob. [/b]

Being a knob doesn't stop someone from being a good commentator. I suppose in saying that it makes me a knob too ay?

<div class='quotemain'> Sorry, but Johnathan Davies is a knob. [/b]

Being a knob doesn't stop someone from being a good commentator. I suppose in saying that it makes me a knob too ay?

[/b][/quote]

The reason he's a knob is because he simply doesn't care about the game he's commentating on unless something Welsh is involved. Otherwise, he's got the most drab, whiney voice that puts you off watching the match. If he's commentating a 6 Nations game while I'm at home, I put the radio commentary on just to avoide the miserable git.

Eddie Butler is an example of a good Welsh commentator, plus his bickering with Brian Moore is legendary!

Still, Will Greenwood is the CHABAL!!! of commentators.

Murray Mexted was commentating on the Ireland-Georgia game and the amount of times i heard the man admit that he didn't know much about Gerorgia or certain Irish players was shocking. So he and the other commentator talked about f***ing wine and the first time they toured France and everything. Bloody hillarious.

But, in the words of Mite:

Still, Will Greenwood is the CHABAL!!! of commentators.
[/b]

Eddie Butler is an example of a good Welsh commentator
[/b]

Woah, woah, woah.

Woah.

Butler is arguably the worst commentator in the northern hemisphere. Davies knows what he's talking about, so I don't mind a bit of bias coming from him, but Butler is unbearable.

McLaren and Greenwood for the ultimate commentary team!

<div class='quotemain'>
Eddie Butler is an example of a good Welsh commentator
[/b]

Woah, woah, woah.

Woah.

Butler is arguably the worst commentator in the northern hemisphere. Davies knows what he's talking about, so I don't mind a bit of bias coming from him, but Butler is unbearable.

McLaren and Greenwood for the ultimate commentary team!

[/b][/quote]

McLaren had an interesting turn of phrase, but he understood so little of the modern game. Nice enough to listen to but never helped your understanding of what was going on.

McLaren had an interesting turn of phrase, but he understood so little of the modern game. Nice enough to listen to but never helped your understanding of what was going on.
[/b]

So what? Thats where Greenwood comes in. If McLaren hasn't got an understanding of the modern game then Butler hasn't got a clue, period. Besides, look at all the old rugby commentators, did any of them go into minute detail about the game? No, they just relayed what they saw to the viewer in beautiful prose, the guy commentating the greatest try ever in the Barbarians vs All Blacks game in the 1970s as a case in point.

McLaren to provide the amazing dialouge aided by a knowledgable and affable Greenwood.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

So what? Thats where Greenwood comes in. If McLaren hasn't got an understanding of the modern game then Butler hasn't got a clue, period. Besides, look at all the old rugby commentators, did any of them go into minute detail about the game? No, they just relayed what they saw to the viewer in beautiful prose, the guy commentating the greatest try ever in the Barbarians vs All Blacks game in the 1970s as a case in point.

McLaren to provide the amazing dialouge aided by a knowledgable and affable Greenwood.
[/b][/quote]

Wouldn't suit me, i just never liked listening to McLaren, regardless of who he was comentating with.