• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Isn't the Maori player of the year award racist?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Dec 28 2009, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm sure Maori's are very proud of their heritage and any award for playing rugby is an honour, but if i was a Maori, and i got an award for being 'best Maori' i'd feel a bit dumb.[/b]
If that not a contradiction though? Pride mixed with embarrassment for recognising that pride?

On the other point, you guys continue to talk about recognising Maori culture but any attempt to separate a Maori rugby player is racist? So are you allowed to recognise Maori culture but only if you include the white settler folk and don’t really differentiate between Maori and the Whities?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (K-Pac @ Dec 31 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well ur not maori so u dont have to feel numb or what ever and you didnt get an award! but heres one, an award for being a tool! congratulations![/b]
And who's a clever boy? You write that yourself?

And Logohrrea, you can be proud of your culture, but the fact that you were recognised in a different way then your peers could be embarrassing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 27 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Okey Dokey. Every bit of diplomatic and intelligent debating I have done through this thread was singly thrown out the window with wjd23104.

First of all, while I disagree with some of Logorrhea's points, many of them are valid and an outside point of view is welcomed.

If you didn't want two sides of an argument, why did you create the topic?

Calling someone a retard, really pushes my point of New Zealand's tolerance, thank you.

K-Pac got banned for a day or so for name calling, you really want to go there?

Your point about "what the hell do you know" seems you now don't have the right to comment on any cultural or political matter unless you experience it first hand.

I have full faith in Logorrhea understanding the issue, it's just he has a different point of view, which is generally is one of the best ways to debate, as an argument with no different points of views, is generally seen as an agreement.[/b]
Ok i went over board a bit. However Logorrhea made a comment like they have the right to reconise the fact their culture is different. By they and their i believe he refers to Maori of some description. This is where i don't think he understands the thread. The NZRU is not Maori and therefore its not Maori recognising Maori. Its the NZRU patronising Maori players and racially discriminating against players of all other races. I do want debate, it just appeared he didn't understand the topic. I apologize for my reaction.

As for the comparison to K-pac i'd like to think even my comments weren't as bad as that guy. He seems very odd.

This thread deals with real and serious social issues that affect not only New Zealand, but all of western society in the early 21st century. In that spirit I'll make my contribution:

Understand-Bunny_(Toilet_Roll).jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wjd23104 @ Jan 4 2010, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 27 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okey Dokey. Every bit of diplomatic and intelligent debating I have done through this thread was singly thrown out the window with wjd23104.

First of all, while I disagree with some of Logorrhea's points, many of them are valid and an outside point of view is welcomed.

If you didn't want two sides of an argument, why did you create the topic?

Calling someone a retard, really pushes my point of New Zealand's tolerance, thank you.

K-Pac got banned for a day or so for name calling, you really want to go there?

Your point about "what the hell do you know" seems you now don't have the right to comment on any cultural or political matter unless you experience it first hand.

I have full faith in Logorrhea understanding the issue, it's just he has a different point of view, which is generally is one of the best ways to debate, as an argument with no different points of views, is generally seen as an agreement.[/b]
Ok i went over board a bit. However Logorrhea made a comment like they have the right to reconise the fact their culture is different. By they and their i believe he refers to Maori of some description. This is where i don't think he understands the thread. The NZRU is not Maori and therefore its not Maori recognising Maori. Its the NZRU patronising Maori players and racially discriminating against players of all other races. I do want debate, it just appeared he didn't understand the topic. I apologize for my reaction.

As for the comparison to K-pac i'd like to think even my comments weren't as bad as that guy. He seems very odd.
[/b][/quote]

Yes, he does seem to want to start a NZ based Maori version of the KKK. He seems to think that Maori people are entitled to seperatist policies about things that aren't about culture at all. I'm all for Maori culture being recognised, promoted and past short-comings being recognised and addressed, but rugby wasn't part of any cultural robbery from Maori.

Maori culture is Maori culture. Maori as a race of people is a race. Recognising one race seperately isn't something that any modern rugby union can get away with anywhere in the world, except New Zealand. It's a race-based award, not cultural. If a New Zealand caucasian guy grew up in South Auckland and immersed himself in Maori culture all his life and only had maori friends, he would not be eligible for this award. It's simply and purely race based.

I'm also sick of being told that I "took something away" from Maori. My great-great grandfather and his brothers came here from Denmark, bought land from Maori landowners, not through any british colonial style shady deal and it was such a good deal that theres never been a land-claim or grievance. Also, they were so much part of the areas indigenous community, that theres plenty of Maori blood in my family now. Not sure how much I have, but I'm predominantly caucasian, so I don't worry too much about it.

It's a shame there's so much ill-informed ignorance from the isles interfering in the thread.

I got what you were meaning wjd23104, (and your not even a guy I agree with very often) but yeah bad wording. I know where it starts to annoy the heck out of you though. Some people from abroad think they know our societal issues inside out and are really just acting like know-it-all pretentious gits.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wjd23104 @ Jan 4 2010, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok i went over board a bit. However Logorrhea made a comment like they have the right to reconise the fact their culture is different.[/b]
Why are you saying that to Iversen and not to me? Either way, I did understand the question. I just asked a few other questions to challenge the likes of yourself to look in a different direction. Otherwise the thread could have been over in two posts. Is it racist? Well if its based on the colour of your skin (which it appears to be) then of course it is. What if it wasnt just race, but what if all that nonsense about saving Maori culture was actually true? Would the award be racist then? Of course not because you have to factor in how Race, Culture and Ethnicity combine. Its very difficult to recognise a culture without acknowledging their race and ethnicity.

Now for the fun bit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jan 4 2010, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm also sick of being told that I "took something away" from Maori.[/b]
So the whole colonial thing was just bad press or poor interpretation of what was actually just a damned great property deal for the local Maori "land owners" why then fecked off back to some other Island? I mean who cares if their country was renamed by whitey, they were now being governed by a white queen on the other side of the planet, by her (white) laws, which I presume the property deal was set out under. Did the colonials buy the rights to that too? I presume the Maori just picked up and sold you lot the whole country? Fair and Square.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jan 4 2010, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's a shame there's so much ill-informed ignorance from the isles interfering in the thread.[/b]
Its a shame that people can call me ignorant and a pretentious git (though indirectly which is odd) yet they arent capable of debating a single point I've raised. Ive no problem with name calling but at least debate the points and point out where I'm wrong. Ive never said I understand your society inside out. I'm just posing questions and happy to accept any answers that are offered once they make sense.

This is not a question or a debate unique to NZ. and I'm not accusing anyone of anything so I dont know why you would get defensive about your own history. The planet has been shaped by similar occurances since time began. The strong kill the weak and write history as they see it. Norther Ireland (part of "The Isles") has a more recent and violent history as a result of a cultural divide manufactured by the colonial power.

Its the same question really, when should the Maori just give up and die, what right have they to a culture of their own. Surely to recognise that culture is racist isnt it? Down with that sort of thing I say.

f*** your a tool wdj! come in here speaking ****, get put back in ur place and now ur trying to be nice to every one. *****! sort of worked on iverson because now it sounds like he wants to suck ur dick! did u two get a beat down by a maori boy when u guys went to school or what? cause if you didnt i'd like to give u one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (K-Pac @ Jan 4 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
f*** your a tool wdj! come in here speaking ****, get put back in ur place and now ur trying to be nice to every one. *****! sort of worked on iverson because now it sounds like he wants to suck ur dick! did u two get a beat down by a maori boy when u guys went to school or what? cause if you didnt i'd like to give u one.[/b]
Sweet lord jesus I give up :rolleyes:
You deserve to be banned.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jan 5 2010, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wjd23104 @ Jan 4 2010, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok i went over board a bit. However Logorrhea made a comment like they have the right to reconise the fact their culture is different.[/b]
Why are you saying that to Iversen and not to me? Either way, I did understand the question. I just asked a few other questions to challenge the likes of yourself to look in a different direction. Otherwise the thread could have been over in two posts. Is it racist? Well if its based on the colour of your skin (which it appears to be) then of course it is. What if it wasnt just race, but what if all that nonsense about saving Maori culture was actually true? Would the award be racist then? Of course not because you have to factor in how Race, Culture and Ethnicity combine. Its very difficult to recognise a culture without acknowledging their race and ethnicity.

Now for the fun bit

I'm also sick of being told that I "took something away" from Maori.[/b]
So the whole colonial thing was just bad press or poor interpretation of what was actually just a damned great property deal for the local Maori "land owners" why then fecked off back to some other Island? I mean who cares if their country was renamed by whitey, they were now being governed by a white queen on the other side of the planet, by her (white) laws, which I presume the property deal was set out under. Did the colonials buy the rights to that too? I presume the Maori just picked up and sold you lot the whole country? Fair and Square.

It's a shame there's so much ill-informed ignorance from the isles interfering in the thread.[/b]
Its a shame that people can call me ignorant and a pretentious git (though indirectly which is odd) yet they arent capable of debating a single point I've raised. Ive no problem with name calling but at least debate the points and point out where I'm wrong. Ive never said I understand your society inside out. I'm just posing questions and happy to accept any answers that are offered once they make sense.

This is not a question or a debate unique to NZ. and I'm not accusing anyone of anything so I dont know why you would get defensive about your own history. The planet has been shaped by similar occurances since time began. The strong kill the weak and write history as they see it. Norther Ireland (part of "The Isles") has a more recent and violent history as a result of a cultural divide manufactured by the colonial power.

Its the same question really, when should the Maori just give up and die, what right have they to a culture of their own. Surely to recognise that culture is racist isnt it? Down with that sort of thing I say.
[/b][/quote] I responded to CA Iverson because his post was the one that grabbed my attention, nothing personal. I don't think it's you that most of this stuff is directed at, its just that i have and sounds like others have, been on the wrong end of some tongue lashings from individuals from the UK. So your comments were taken in a harsh light. I especially hate when people bag NZ for poaching Pacific players because its not a one way thing and a lot of players people think of as purely pacific islanders were born in NZ but again thats not you. Its difficult to argue with your points because half the time its not clear what your trying to say.

On the points you've made, well the point Iverson seems to be making is not that there weren't abuses by the Colonials. What he's saying is not everyone with white skin is responsible for those mistakes and people (Hone Harawera for instance) seem unable to see that .

I don't know what your last point is about no one's asking anyone to give up on their culture. You lost me again.

Hey Logorrhea, I'll try and argue the points you raised.

In 1840 the Treaty of Waitungi was signed, in which most cheifs signed. Not all, but most, which is why there is an issue of it being unfair, and there were also slight differences in translation.

The treaty established british soverignty. It also established fair trade etc.

It is also important to remember, then was no unified New Zealand, just different tribes, so New Zealand didn't exactly have a name, political alliances or internatrional trade.

The third point to remember is that if the English didn't take over, the French would...And I don't speak french.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
f*** your a tool wdj! come in here speaking ****, get put back in ur place and now ur trying to be nice to every one. *****! sort of worked on iverson because now it sounds like he wants to suck ur dick! did u two get a beat down by a maori boy when u guys went to school or what? cause if you didnt i'd like to give u one.[/b]

Please don't ban K-Pac, he's ammusing. On the topic of sucking dick, K-Pac clearly feels like he is missing out and wishes to voice his opinions that he's pretty keen. Wjd, this is your chance to let Mr Pac beat you up, providing that you wern't beaten up by a Maori kid on an earlier date, which is the rules established in his previous post.

I don't actually bother responding to one of the posters above much anymore. I have arrived at the conclusion that he is a person who will absolutely not see my point of view on any issue that exists, or could even move toward compromise or middle ground on issues. So it'd be a pointless exercise to respond really. I'm not going to waste 10,000 words on getting nowhere.

As for K-Pac Harawira he's can spend the next two weeks loading up his rifle and shooting the New Zealand flag if he wants to. I'm sure he'll be back sooner or later. Seeing as he asked I was actually going to post some info for him on the times I've had altercations with people over the years. Then I realised that it'd achieve nothing as he has a mental block about his racist idea that europeans are all weak. Good for him.

I'm a poster above... :(

This has turned into a thread that I'm betting will be closed soon.

On a slightly different note K-Pac, I think it's only fair to warn you that CA Inversen has a black belt in Colonisation.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jan 5 2010, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't actually bother responding to one of the posters above much anymore. I have arrived at the conclusion that he is a person who will absolutely not see my point of view on any issue that exists, or could even move toward compromise or middle ground on issues. So it'd be a pointless exercise to respond really. I'm not going to waste 10,000 words on getting nowhere.[/b]
You dont seem to have a problem calling me me a pretentious git or ignorant yet when challenged you call me you completely refuse to back up anything you say.

Funny thing is I wasnt actually attacking you until you went off on one. I was attacking the assumption that colonialism isnt a dominant part of NZ history, and this assumption that the token gesture to save Maori culture is more than politics.

Either way, i'll keep my opinion of you to myself and just carry on posting.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jan 5 2010, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jan 5 2010, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't actually bother responding to one of the posters above much anymore. I have arrived at the conclusion that he is a person who will absolutely not see my point of view on any issue that exists, or could even move toward compromise or middle ground on issues. So it'd be a pointless exercise to respond really. I'm not going to waste 10,000 words on getting nowhere.[/b]
You dont seem to have a problem calling me me a pretentious git or ignorant yet when challenged you call me you completely refuse to back up anything you say.

Funny thing is I wasnt actually attacking you until you went off on one. I was attacking the assumption that colonialism isnt a dominant part of NZ history, and this assumption that the token gesture to save Maori culture is more than politics.

Either way, i'll keep my opinion of you to myself and just carry on posting.
[/b][/quote]

"Some people from abroad think they know our societal issues inside out and are really just acting like know-it-all pretentious gits."

Some is the key word in that sentence. If you choose to call yourself that kind of guy, then it's you choosing that, not I.

I'll accept an apology for saying that I called you that. Seeing as you can assume anything you like, I'll assume you did apologise to me. thank you Logohrrea, I appreciate it. Good boy! (Pats Loco Logo on the head).

Intersting again how you make a point of responding to someone you dont respond to.

Care to say anything on topic? Land grab? Colonialism? the link between race and culture? Maori genocide? Anything, anything at all?

or are you going to just sit there and call me names and hope one of your mates backs you up?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jan 6 2010, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Intersting again how you make a point of responding to someone you dont respond to.

Care to say anything on topic? Land grab? Colonialism? the link between race and culture? Maori genocide? Anything, anything at all?

or are you going to just sit there and call me names?[/b]

Again I didn't call you names, well at least not the names you earlier said. Loco Logo is probably the only thing I've truely pointedly called you and thats all about love.

Mates? Me, you have the wrong dude there, lol.

Oh on topic. All white New Zealanders are racist. There we go. :)

Excuse me, I'm sadly mistaken in believing that on topic is about the award itself being specifically racist or not, not land grab, Maori genocide or colonial history. Sorry for being the first to take this off-topic, lol!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jan 5 2010, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't actually bother responding to one of the posters above much anymore. I have arrived at the conclusion that he is a person who will absolutely not see my point of view on any issue that exists, or could even move toward compromise or middle ground on issues. So it'd be a pointless exercise to respond really. I'm not going to waste 10,000 words on getting nowhere.

As for K-Pac Harawira he's can spend the next two weeks loading up his rifle and shooting the New Zealand flag if he wants to. I'm sure he'll be back sooner or later. Seeing as he asked I was actually going to post some info for him on the times I've had altercations with people over the years. Then I realised that it'd achieve nothing as he has a mental block about his racist idea that europeans are all weak. Good for him.[/b]

So the poster above is not me?

I won't miss K-Pac.

Oh on topic. All white New Zealanders are racist. There we go.

yep, after reading all this, we can safely assume that if you are white, you are racist, and if you are a maori, you are not and deserve an award. lol.

Latest posts