• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Isn't the Maori player of the year award racist?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 23 2009, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 22 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But as I pointed out, the Maori culture in New Zealand is trying to be preserved. Wether we like it or not, the Maori culture has changed in New Zealand, because New Zealand has advanced as a nation with Maori, the two are not mutually exclusive. My point is that Maori as civilians shaped New Zealand to be New Zealand alongs ide New Zealand Europeans, and that ideas and customs that we as New Zealander's hold value, are a mix of values of both cultures. It isn't a case that Maori have purley had to survive in a European world, but have influenced New Zealand into an assimilated culture. Wether there is a equal balence of Maori influence to New Zealand European influence is debatable, however presumably our culture and modern Maori culture is a blend. Sure it has changed from compliete traditional tribalism, but the move has been mutually exclusive, just as New Zealand Europeans are unique from their British heiritage.[/b]

This is true.

However, the Maori side of NZ culture is unique to NZ. Like it or not, the Pakeha side is derived from British culture and heavily influenced (I presume) by the USA and Australia - in other words it's not as unique.

What's more, there is the question of ratios. I have a lot of respect for NZ compared to other countries governed by white immigrants because the indigenous culture seems to be far more integrated and respected; however I'd still say the fact that Maoris themselves, and their language, are in a considerable minority, means their part in NZ culture will reflect this.

Compare this to a place like Britain - about 90% of the most innovative music we make now is influenced from our Caribbean population; one of our national dishes derives from the South Asian population, and numerous other parts of our mainstream culture have a definite 'non Native' feel. Yet still, everyone who comes to the UK learns English. 60+ million of us speak a native language - whereas in NZ it's less than 5%. And while our culture has, as I explained, taken on parts of others, it remains distinctly British.

Clearly, if you grow up in New Zealand you are just as much a New Zelander as anyone - race doesn't come into it. But it's different when it comes to culture. The Maori culture survives far better than any indigenous culture in other white majority countries in the Americas or Australia. I don't think it's a coincidence that New Zealand is the only place that has had large race-related institutions to preserve the indigenous culture. So if this is how Maori tradition is best preserved, then so be it.
[/b][/quote]
You make some brilliant points.

I recently studied quite a bit about Maori-Pakeha relations. In the early 1900's Maori were certainly marginalized in society and did suffer quite a few injustices. The loss of land, in equal laws, different benefits etc but still their position in society was never that bad. It wasn't like Australia where aboriginal children were taken from their parents, or like South Africa where apartheid has only been gone 20 years and then you have Southern USA.

We do make a big effort to keep Maori culture alive. Not many people can speak Maori but everyone knows some common words, Maori culture is rightfully still a big part of New Zealand culture.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 23 2009, 03:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 22 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I prefered the post of gingergenius.[/b]
I thought you might, but I'm looking for an arguement so I'm asking nastier questions. Hes just soft on colonialism. Dont ever forget though, like a true Englishman he believes hes superior to you, but wishes he was Irish.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 22 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
2. The claim that New Zealand European cultures isn't unique as it has essentially been "imported" from over seas is irrelevant as all cultures are ununique in that regard. Maori culture can be linked to the culture of other Pacific Island cultures, and their culture can be linked to South American and Asian cultures, etc etc.[/b]
True but this was colonisation. You couldnt call it war as it was so one sided, but the result was the same. The examples you gave above were as a result of natural migration of the masses. One happened in Months (?) the others over generations.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 22 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That being said, an effort is made today to preserve the Maori culture, and while Maori attitudes and values have changed from traditional Maori tribalism, Pukeha's attitudes have changed from traditional European colonialism and therefore we have advanced together into, today's culture.[/b]
Only after the Maori culture has been completely destroyed and the "advance together" bit doesnt really upset any of the white folks.

And I can't honestly say that there is an equal imput of Maori culture as there is to European, but I believe that it is more then representational in terms of populations of Maori to Pukeha, is a system which shows the maturity of a united New Zealand, in which both traditional cultures are represented, both heritage protected, and a unified Kiwi culture developed.[/b]
I'm tempted to google that to find what speech it came from. Nice sentiment, but its all happening after the damage has been done.

Look I'm doing all this tongue in cheek and I certainly dont want to knock New Zealand as a country. Compared to what has happened on other Colonies you guys are a recipe in how to do it correctly and its not as if its a strategy you are looking to implement. I was mainly defending K-Pacs outrage and raising the question of a nations rights, once its been conquered cause its a damn interesting question. Northern Ireland poses similar questions as a policy of intentional immigration was implemented there too.

What New Zealanders are doing is commendable but remember its all being done AFTER the damage was done (by other people). Thats all I'm saying.
[/b][/quote]
The speech is a NickDNZ original.

Yeah, I get that this is more of an argument for the sake of argument sake, and that you're no bashing New Zealand as a country. The fact that a Maori Player of the Year award, has been linked to the bigger picture of New Zealand's modern race relations and culture is funny. Only one small point really.

You say this is only happening when the damage has been done, I'm trying to say that it is not like over the last few years we are trying to save Maori culture, I'm saying their culture was influenced by ours and visa versa. As I mentioned, there is no equal ballence of culture, but there were/are compromises on both sides. When we were colonised, the settlers took a more mature approach to settling then in USA or Australia, and while there were several injustices thoughout, there certainly was on erradication of the Maori culture which exsisted in USA and Austrealia, and traditional Maori culture has more or less been an accepted culture for the last 50 years. The worst injustices were unfair land confiscation, which under the Treaty of Waitungi, Maori who have claim to the land, may seek to retain it. This is fixing past mistakes, and attempting to presurve Maori culture. The other injustice is Maori wern't allowed to speak Maori in schools, which is actually pretty light considering other colonial approaches.
Regardless of this, I don't believe on principile, that an award should be given due to race. You can claim it is given as more of a cultural acknowlegment, however it can be given to ANYONE with any Maori heritage, which I think essentially takes the cultural aspect out of it, and more makes it an award which is defined purely on racial terms.

And I really do just want world peace.

im back!, **** u guys didnt have to ban me for that. how about you pm me what you want me to say ca iverson. then the conversation will go exactly how you guys want it to go. yeah pats on the backs for you guys!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (K-Pac @ Dec 23 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
im back!, **** u guys didnt have to ban me for that. how about you pm me what you want me to say ca iverson. then the conversation will go exactly how you guys want it to go. yeah pats on the backs for you guys![/b]

Didn't have the time. It's a busy time of the year. Just make points in a thread and don't calling anyone whatever name you want to throw. Random name-calling and pot-shotting is not a debate, it's just low-level abuse, which someone gets offended at and gradually turns into higher level abuse. Threads which discuss any race or culture are a more sensitive area and direct insults to other members are monitored closer than most other threads. Same goes for all.

My initial reaction is to say it's racist, however, after reading through the thread and thinking about it, I don't think it is. It is, I believe, their right. I know I probably need to back this up, but I'm not 100% sure my reasoning is correct and I don't want to say something that isn't true. I say their because there is no point denying the fact that they're Maori and and I'm Pakeha, we are all New Zealanders and share the New Zealand culture, but to me there is a difference between the New Zealand culture and the Maori culture.

Of course there can't be Caucasian awards. That is racist, and not because it's singling out Pakeha. It's racist because we might be from New Zealand, but we all have different heritage. To lump all Pakeha into one category would totally disregard our separate heritage and ancestory.

I think Logorrhea makes some very good points. Sometimes I feel like what is done to preserve the Maori culture is more 'you can have your culture back, but only some parts'. The damage done could never fully be ammended without doing more damage to other people, which is unfortunate and frustrating at the same time.

Basically what I mean to say is, no, I don't think it's racist. Like a lot of things I feel that it only becomes racist when you get extremists or idiots who ruin it for everyone else by making racist comments and hiding behind their own race as an excuse.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Dec 24 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My initial reaction is to say it's racist, however, after reading through the thread and thinking about it, I don't think it is. It is, I believe, their right. I know I probably need to back this up, but I'm not 100% sure my reasoning is correct and I don't want to say something that isn't true. I say their because there is no point denying the fact that they're Maori and and I'm Pakeha, we are all New Zealanders and share the New Zealand culture, but to me there is a difference between the New Zealand culture and the Maori culture.

Of course there can't be Caucasian awards. That is racist, and not because it's singling out Pakeha. It's racist because we might be from New Zealand, but we all have different heritage. To lump all Pakeha into one category would totally disregard our separate heritage and ancestory.

I think Logorrhea makes some very good points. Sometimes I feel like what is done to preserve the Maori culture is more 'you can have your culture back, but only some parts'. The damage done could never fully be ammended without doing more damage to other people, which is unfortunate and frustrating at the same time.

Basically what I mean to say is, no, I don't think it's racist. Like a lot of things I feel that it only becomes racist when you get extremists or idiots who ruin it for everyone else by making racist comments and hiding behind their own race as an excuse.[/b]

It's all so clear now.....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Dec 24 2009, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Dec 24 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Basically what I mean to say is, no, I don't think it's racist. Like a lot of things I feel that it only becomes racist when you get extremists or idiots who ruin it for everyone else by making racist comments and hiding behind their own race as an excuse.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Sorry, I couldn't really get the point across that I wanted and then I kind of just gave up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Dec 24 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Dec 24 2009, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Dec 24 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Sorry, I couldn't really get the point across that I wanted and then I kind of just gave up.
[/b][/quote]

Fair enough, lol. These things happen, have a good christmas. :)

I don't think it's insulting or racist, rather it's condescending and extremely patronising. Maori's are not an immigrant ethnic group, they are a cultural group original to New Zealand, or Aotearoa.. therefore it cannot be racist in that sense, but it is singling out a certain cultural group when it's totally unneccessary. A bit of an own-goal really.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 23 2009, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 22 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My point is that Maori as civilians shaped New Zealand to be New Zealand alongs ide New Zealand Europeans, and that ideas and customs that we as New Zealander's hold value, are a mix of values of both cultures. It isn't a case that Maori have purley had to survive in a European world, but have influenced New Zealand into an assimilated culture.[/b]
Sounds like something a politician would come out with. Completely unbelievable but a great soundbite. "Keep telling them we give a f*** and eventually they will believe we give a f***. Either way they will do what we say then eventually just give up fighting us and die off".

You dont really believe that there is a real mix do you. Even in posts here posters have said THEM, and THOSE when referring to Maori. The national language is the one you were given, the national sports are the ones you were given, your political alliegences are the ones you were given, your religion is the one you were given (I think, total guess that). Where exactly did Moari culture get integrated?

I'm not saying you havent done anything, but what has been done is like celebrating someones birthday years after they have died :)
(Nobody mention the J word!). A luvely though, but no one really gives a f*** and as time goes by, less peop remember.
[/b][/quote]
First off, What in the hell do you know! Second Maori and Non Maori can follow which ever religion they like, including Maori exorcisms. Some group of inbred Maori hicks got together and drowned a woman because they thought she had demons. Thankfully most New Zealanders (Maori or otherwise) aren't that dumb.
And what is this rubbish about forcing our (apparently) national sport and political alliegences on them? does everyone have to play gallic football and support the IRA where you come from? Have you heard of the Maori Party (which anywhere else in the world would be described as obviously racist but i digress). Please if you don't understand the topic (the New Zealand Rugby Union giving out a racist award) please ask for clarification don't lecture us.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Dec 24 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't think it's insulting or racist, rather it's condescending and extremely patronising. Maori's are not an immigrant ethnic group, they are a cultural group original to New Zealand, or Aotearoa.. therefore it cannot be racist in that sense, but it is singling out a certain cultural group when it's totally unneccessary. A bit of an own-goal really.[/b]
let me see, its not racist to give out an award that only individuals of a certain race can win. Are you mentally retarded ! Maori is an ethic group/race. Are you saying as long as they didn't immigrate here its not racist,do you think Maori magically appeared out of thin air. just because they immigrated centuries ago doesn't mean they didn't immigrate. Maybe i'm getting the wrong end of the stick can you try explaining your point again?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wjd23104 @ Dec 26 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
First off, What in the hell do you know! Second Maori and Non Maori can follow which ever religion they like, including Maori exorcisms. Some group of inbred Maori hicks got together and drowned a woman because they thought she had demons. Thankfully most New Zealanders (Maori or otherwise) aren't that dumb.
And what is this rubbish about forcing our (apparently) national sport and political alliegences on them? does everyone have to play gallic football and support the IRA where you come from? Have you heard of the Maori Party (which anywhere else in the world would be described as obviously racist but i digress). Please if you don't understand the topic (the New Zealand Rugby Union giving out a racist award) please ask for clarification don't lecture us.[/b]

Fully appreciate your feedback. You of course have failed to grasp a single point I was trying to make but thats to be expected every now and then. I'll use smaller words next time.

Warmest regards,

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wjd23104 @ Dec 26 2009, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
let me see, its not racist to give out an award that only individuals of a certain race can win. Are you mentally retarded ! Maori is an ethic group/race. Are you saying as long as they didn't immigrate here its not racist,do you think Maori magically appeared out of thin air. just because they immigrated centuries ago doesn't mean they didn't immigrate. Maybe i'm getting the wrong end of the stick can you try explaining your point again?[/b]
I'd just like to take this opportunity to point you to the red and white x on the top right hand corner of your screen. Click that and all will be revealed.

Well done ............. in advance of course.

Okey Dokey. Every bit of diplomatic and intelligent debating I have done through this thread was singly thrown out the window with wjd23104.

First of all, while I disagree with some of Logorrhea's points, many of them are valid and an outside point of view is welcomed.

If you didn't want two sides of an argument, why did you create the topic?

Calling someone a retard, really pushes my point of New Zealand's tolerance, thank you.

K-Pac got banned for a day or so for name calling, you really want to go there?

Your point about "what the hell do you know" seems you now don't have the right to comment on any cultural or political matter unless you experience it first hand.

I have full faith in Logorrhea understanding the issue, it's just he has a different point of view, which is generally is one of the best ways to debate, as an argument with no different points of views, is generally seen as an agreement.

I'm sure Maori's are very proud of their heritage and any award for playing rugby is an honour, but if i was a Maori, and i got an award for being 'best Maori' i'd feel a bit dumb. Not cos i got an award, or was called a Maori, but cos it reflects with my rugby playing peers. Like saying the best black player at Harlequins 08-09 was Ugo Monye, he might be, but it's not a valid measure of an award in anyway, shape or form.

In my mind, 'racism' is when you use a term, endearment or an action that is solely directed at a race in a negative way, and it is normally about appearance, or their culture. Like if i said 'africans have thick lips' or 'chinese have slitty eyes'. An observation, that is actually quite rude or acceptable.. depending on how you say or use it.

No-one has said, Maori's are anything.. no-one has dissed their culture, but to single them out is probably more embarrassing for them as they would, like any would to be judged by talent and form, not ethnic diversity. If it was for best player for the NZ Maori, that'd be different.. because it'd be judged on the best player performance of who represents NZ Maori.

Capische?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Dec 28 2009, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm sure Maori's are very proud of their heritage and any award for playing rugby is an honour, but if i was a Maori, and i got an award for being 'best Maori' i'd feel a bit dumb. Not cos i got an award, or was called a Maori, but cos it reflects with my rugby playing peers. Like saying the best black player at Harlequins 08-09 was Ugo Monye, he might be, but it's not a valid measure of an award in anyway, shape or form.

In my mind, 'racism' is when you use a term, endearment or an action that is solely directed at a race in a negative way, and it is normally about appearance, or their culture. Like if i said 'africans have thick lips' or 'chinese have slitty eyes'. An observation, that is actually quite rude or acceptable.. depending on how you say or use it.

No-one has said, Maori's are anything.. no-one has dissed their culture, but to single them out is probably more embarrassing for them as they would, like any would to be judged by talent and form, not ethnic diversity. If it was for best player for the NZ Maori, that'd be different.. because it'd be judged on the best player performance of who represents NZ Maori.

Capische?[/b]

Post of the thread.

Thread opened. I closed it because i thought it'd run it's course or was going to get a bit spicy. But it's open again if you want to have your say :)

well ur not maori so u dont have to feel numb or what ever and you didnt get an award! but heres one, an award for being a tool! congratulations!

Latest posts