Israel Dagg likely to join Crusaders

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Rookie All Black Israel Dagg is set to be the latest star signing for the Crusaders.

The 21-year-old Hawke's Bay fullback has spent two years at the struggling Highlanders and appears to have had enough.

He considered the same move before this year's Super 14 when his best mate and fellow Bay flyer Zac Guildford transferred from the Hurricanes to the seven-time champion franchise.

But Hawke's Bay coach Peter Russell, who is also assistant coach of the Highlanders, convinced the silky goal-kicking No.15 to stick it out for another season.

The Dunedin-based franchise finished 12th this year, while the Crusaders were losing semi-finalists.

The lure of Guildford and after several meetings with Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder, Dagg revealed to Sportal on Tuesday his mind is made up.

"I'm certain I'm Crusader-bound," Dagg said.

"I've told my agent and I've spoken to a few people. I've talked to Todd a couple of times. I watched them this year. It's pretty special down there. Their culture and style of rugby is impressive."

"Zac loved it and said he had a great time and it's a good team to be a part of. It's one of the best franchises in the world. It's a great opportunity to be a part of that and expand my game."

"I've loved playing with Zac, so the more opportunity I get to play with him the better."

He expected to make a formal announcement this week, although Crusaders officals said the new franchise contracts would not be in place for at least a couple of weeks.

After his selection in the first All Black's squad of the year, Dagg was confident of nailing a permanent starting fullback role at the Crusaders.

He was excited to experience the All Black's culture you see on television, but was nervous and couldn't imagine what playing a Test for your country would be like.

Although both Dagg and Guildford will turn out for the Red and Blacks, if they are not selected in the All Black's Tri Nations squad they would return to Hawke's Bay for ITM Cup duties.

The pair is considered two of New Zealand's best young talents.

Guildford said he had tried to entice his mate to join him and also made light of Dagg's indecision last year.

"We've been talking about it," Guildford said of Dagg's impending move. "He's keen to come to the Crusaders, but he said that this time last year so I won't believe him until he puts pen on paper."

Guildford is contracted to remain in Christchurch until the end of 2010, but he hoped to renegotiate beyond that.

"I've thoroughly enjoyed my time down there. It's a great environment. There's a great bunch of guys with no egos who are all willing to help each other. I wouldn't change anything. I made the right move," he said.
http://www.allblacks.com/news/13168/Dagg-a-Crusader

I'm sure Dagg will benefit from joining the Crusaders, however I think Crusaders stealing the young talent from other NZ franchises is a bit of a worry. Robert Fruen, Zac Guildford and now Israel Dagg...In 3-4 years time, when those players hit their peaks, Crusaders backline will be pretty amazing, especially considering Colin Slade and Sean Maitland are still very young.

I'm sure Dagg will benefit from joining the Crusaders, however I think Crusaders stealing the young talent from other NZ franchises is a bit of a worry. Robert Fruen, Zac Guildford and now Israel Dagg...In 3-4 years time, when those players hit their peaks, Crusaders backline will be pretty amazing, especially considering Colin Slade and Sean Maitland are still very young.

Sonny Bill Williams and Adam Thompson are rumoured to be moving to Christchurch aswell. Ive also read that the Crusaders are looking to grab either Aled De Malmanche or Hika Elliot to offset the loss of Ti'i Paulo.
The potential lineup for next year could be;
1)Ben Franks
2)Corey Flynn
3)Owen Franks
4)Sam Whitelock
5)Brad Thorn
6)Adam Thompson
7)Richie McCaw
8)Keiran Read
9)Kahn Fotuaili'i
10)Daniel Carter
11)Zac Guildford
12)Sonny-Bill Williams
13)Robbie Fruean
14)Sean Maitland
15)Israel Dagg

16)Wyatt Crockett
17)Hika Elliot/ADM
18)Chris Jack
19)George Whitelock
20)Andy Ellis
21)Colin Slade
22)Jared Payne

Leaving Issac Ross, Ryan Crotty, Adam Whitelock, Kade Poki and Tu-Umaga Marshall in the stands.

That is ridiculous. Its almost to the point when the NZRU should step in before the Chiefs and Highlanders turn into the Lions and Cheetahs

Sonny Bill Williams and Adam Thompson are rumoured to be moving to Christchurch aswell. Ive also read that the Crusaders are looking to grab either Aled De Malmanche or Hika Elliot to offset the loss of Ti'i Paulo.
The potential lineup for next year could be;
1)Ben Franks
2)Corey Flynn
3)Owen Franks
4)Sam Whitelock
5)Brad Thorn
6)Adam Thompson
7)Richie McCaw
8)Keiran Read
9)Kahn Fotuaili'i
10)Daniel Carter
11)Zac Guildford
12)Sonny-Bill Williams
13)Robbie Fruean
14)Sean Maitland
15)Israel Dagg

16)Wyatt Crockett
17)Hika Elliot/ADM
18)Chris Jack
19)George Whitelock
20)Andy Ellis
21)Colin Slade
22)Jared Payne

Leaving Issac Ross, Ryan Crotty, Adam Whitelock, Kade Poki and Tu-Umaga Marshall in the stands.

That is ridiculous. Its almost to the point when the NZRU should step in before the Chiefs and Highlanders turn into the Lions and Cheetahs

Exactly, in fact I think the Highlanders need to be given an ultimatium. If they finish below 10th place next season, then the franchise should be submerged with the Crusaders. It's sad, because there are alot of Highlanders fans out there, but they are the only NZ team not competitive. I agree that the NZRU should step in. I think we may see Isaac Ross leave Canturbury and the Crusaders soon enough as he has to compete with three other All Blacks to try and get a spot at lock.

Exactly, in fact I think the Highlanders need to be given an ultimatium. If they finish below 10th place next season, then the franchise should be submerged with the Crusaders. It's sad, because there are alot of Highlanders fans out there, but they are the only NZ team not competitive. I agree that the NZRU should step in. I think we may see Isaac Ross leave Canturbury and the Crusaders soon enough as he has to compete with three other All Blacks to try and get a spot at lock.

Isaac Ross can always play for Hawkes Bay and the Hurricanes we will have him if Canterbury don't. Isaac Ross in the Black and White :)

Then NZ would have 4 as opposed to 5 S15 franchises, or would you propose another franchise from somewhere? Or even offer it to South Africa/Argentina as another spot (for large amounts of capitol)?

That word stealing... I don't think it's stealing when the players themselves WANT to come to ChCh... They aren't forced to sign the contract if they don't want to...

Poor Colin Slade will be bench warming again... Same goes for Payne...

I don't think Chris Jack should've come back. I rather have Isaac Ross in there than Jack, CJ has past it...

That potential team you have put up ranger is a team of superstars... If it works out like that, man the Saders are going to be pretty lethal next year... I wouldn't mind that as the default line up in the Rugby 2012 game for the Crusaders :)

I think it's poor for the game in New Zealand and the competition in general that whenever a young player with potential emerges he gets signed by the Crusaders. Then again I don't blame anyone for wanting to leave Otago.

I think the solution is to disband the Highlanders and create a new team with the founding member unions of Otago, Southland and either Taranaki or Hawkesbay. The Naki and Hawkesbay players get overlooked most of the time and end up in the Highlanders via the draft anyway so you mayaswell make that the default team. Split the home games down the middle between Otago and HB/TAR with one game game going to Southland. It would keep the game alive in one of the heartlands of rugby down south and the player strength and fanbase in HB/TAR would strengthen the franchise on the field and financially. Otago has history, but they just aren't strong enough to sustain a franchise on their own anymore.

The lack of games in Otago could actually increase interest in the team, if you only get what three games a year at Carisbrook then you could really pump up those games as special occasions, instead of getting 7 games in half empty stadiums you could have 3 packed houses.

9. Andy Ellis
10. Dan Carter
11. Zac Guildford
12. Sonny Bill Williams / Colin Slade
13 Robbie Freuan
14. Sean Maitland
15. Israel Dagg

Adam Thomson is also discussing a move to the Crusaders, that would also be a lethal loose trio, probably the best in club rugby, 6. Thomson 7. Mccaw 8. Read

It isn't stealing, Dagg wants to move. Guildford was a bench warmer for the Canes with Gear and Smith being the main wings and Freuan was never going to break the combo of Nonu-Smith, who are the All Blacks centre pairing incase you've banged your head and lost all mental capability. They were not getting game time at the Canes, they weren't even protected by the draft, so they had every right to move if they wanted to.

Sonny-Bill Williams despite what people say I think its a quality player and he displayed this in the Amlin Cup Final. Hopefully he will get a good number of caps for NZ in the future.

I struggle to understand how Sonny Bill-Williams would ever replace Nonu at second-five for the All Blacks. If anyone has seen him play, he is good but he isn't fantastic. His second pro fight in June obviously highlights aswell, his interest in playing in New Zealand, which is none. He is just a spoilt brat who is going to chase the money, New Zealand doesn't need him and not many people want him. He is 24? 25? I think Robbie Freuan is a better option at 12 for the All Blacks than Sonny-Bill Williams.

I struggle to understand how Sonny Bill-Williams would ever replace Nonu at second-five for the All Blacks. If anyone has seen him play, he is good but he isn't fantastic. His second pro fight in June obviously highlights aswell, his interest in playing in New Zealand, which is none. He is just a spoilt brat who is going to chase the money, New Zealand doesn't need him and not many people want him. He is 24? 25? I think Robbie Freuan is a better option at 12 for the All Blacks than Sonny-Bill Williams.

Disagree completely. What he offers instead of Nonu is creative skill! I think if he is good enough to compete at more than one sport then good on him, show how much of a sportsman he is. He has been quiet with Toloun and I have seen nothing of this spoilt bratneess that you say. I would never count him playing in NZ. He is a type of player that could be useful to the All Blacks, I have watched four or five games this season with him and I am nothing short but impressed with him. This guy is a good player and has shaped many a game for Toloun.

Disagree completely. What he offers instead of Nonu is creative skill! I think if he is good enough to compete at more than one sport then good on him, show how much of a sportsman he is. He has been quiet with Toloun and I have seen nothing of this spoilt bratneess that you say. I would never count him playing in NZ. He is a type of player that could be useful to the All Blacks, I have watched four or five games this season with him and I am nothing short but impressed with him. This guy is a good player and has shaped many a game for Toloun.

I agree with you - from the few games I saw he looked very impressive (especially for someone whos only played union for about a year!). I certainly wouldn't rule out seeing him in an All Black jersey within the next year or so.

What I should have added to the above ... I don't think he will displace an onform Nonu ... but if Nonu does not perform and Sonny is playing in NZ then he would offer a very different type of attack for the All Blacks.

From the 2nd half of this years S14 season, Nonu didn't look happy playing at all, along with all his shoulder tackles, muttering frustration to himself to giving the F bomb 6 times on radio... He needs to go to NRL... :p

I agree with you - from the few games I saw he looked very impressive (especially for someone whos only played union for about a year!). I certainly wouldn't rule out seeing him in an All Black jersey within the next year or so.

SBW is playing in top14 Nonu's proved himself at international level in the last few years french top 14 is not international rugby Nonu at 12 and SBW at 13 would be a mean center combo Sonny bill needs to play against the best teams nz teams and s.a teams.

Latest posts