Israel Dagg likely to join Crusaders

Discussion in 'Super Rugby' started by TRF_nickdnz, Jun 2, 2010.

1. TRF_nickdnz

TRF_nickdnz Super Moderator

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

http://www.allblacks.com/news/13168/Dagg-a-Crusader

I'm sure Dagg will benefit from joining the Crusaders, however I think Crusaders stealing the young talent from other NZ franchises is a bit of a worry. Robert Fruen, Zac Guildford and now Israel Dagg...In 3-4 years time, when those players hit their peaks, Crusaders backline will be pretty amazing, especially considering Colin Slade and Sean Maitland are still very young.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. TyphoonsRugby

TyphoonsRugby Member

Finally an All Black fullback back in the Crusaders :D

4. ranger

ranger Senior Member

Club or Nation:

Bordeaux

Sonny Bill Williams and Adam Thompson are rumoured to be moving to Christchurch aswell. Ive also read that the Crusaders are looking to grab either Aled De Malmanche or Hika Elliot to offset the loss of Ti'i Paulo.
    The potential lineup for next year could be;
    1)Ben Franks
    2)Corey Flynn
    3)Owen Franks
    4)Sam Whitelock
    5)Brad Thorn
    6)Adam Thompson
    7)Richie McCaw
    8)Keiran Read
    9)Kahn Fotuaili'i
    10)Daniel Carter
    11)Zac Guildford
    12)Sonny-Bill Williams
    13)Robbie Fruean
    14)Sean Maitland
    15)Israel Dagg

16)Wyatt Crockett
    17)Hika Elliot/ADM
    18)Chris Jack
    19)George Whitelock
    20)Andy Ellis
    21)Colin Slade
    22)Jared Payne

Leaving Issac Ross, Ryan Crotty, Adam Whitelock, Kade Poki and Tu-Umaga Marshall in the stands.

That is ridiculous. Its almost to the point when the NZRU should step in before the Chiefs and Highlanders turn into the Lions and Cheetahs

5. TRF_nickdnz

TRF_nickdnz Super Moderator

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Exactly, in fact I think the Highlanders need to be given an ultimatium. If they finish below 10th place next season, then the franchise should be submerged with the Crusaders. It's sad, because there are alot of Highlanders fans out there, but they are the only NZ team not competitive. I agree that the NZRU should step in. I think we may see Isaac Ross leave Canturbury and the Crusaders soon enough as he has to compete with three other All Blacks to try and get a spot at lock.

6. lance2010

lance2010 Senior Member

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Chiefs

Isaac Ross can always play for Hawkes Bay and the Hurricanes we will have him if Canterbury don't. Isaac Ross in the Black and White :)

7. Haysie

Haysie Senior Member

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Reds

Then NZ would have 4 as opposed to 5 S15 franchises, or would you propose another franchise from somewhere? Or even offer it to South Africa/Argentina as another spot (for large amounts of capitol)?

8. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Country Flag:

New Zealand

That word stealing... I don't think it's stealing when the players themselves WANT to come to ChCh... They aren't forced to sign the contract if they don't want to...

Poor Colin Slade will be bench warming again... Same goes for Payne...

I don't think Chris Jack should've come back. I rather have Isaac Ross in there than Jack, CJ has past it...

That potential team you have put up ranger is a team of superstars... If it works out like that, man the Saders are going to be pretty lethal next year... I wouldn't mind that as the default line up in the Rugby 2012 game for the Crusaders :)

9. Wally

Wally Senior Member

I think it's poor for the game in New Zealand and the competition in general that whenever a young player with potential emerges he gets signed by the Crusaders. Then again I don't blame anyone for wanting to leave Otago.

10. ranger

ranger Senior Member

Club or Nation:

Bordeaux

I think the solution is to disband the Highlanders and create a new team with the founding member unions of Otago, Southland and either Taranaki or Hawkesbay. The Naki and Hawkesbay players get overlooked most of the time and end up in the Highlanders via the draft anyway so you mayaswell make that the default team. Split the home games down the middle between Otago and HB/TAR with one game game going to Southland. It would keep the game alive in one of the heartlands of rugby down south and the player strength and fanbase in HB/TAR would strengthen the franchise on the field and financially. Otago has history, but they just aren't strong enough to sustain a franchise on their own anymore.

The lack of games in Otago could actually increase interest in the team, if you only get what three games a year at Carisbrook then you could really pump up those games as special occasions, instead of getting 7 games in half empty stadiums you could have 3 packed houses.

11. Iron Mike

Iron Mike BANNED!!!

9. Andy Ellis
    10. Dan Carter
    11. Zac Guildford
    12. Sonny Bill Williams / Colin Slade
    13 Robbie Freuan
    14. Sean Maitland
    15. Israel Dagg

Adam Thomson is also discussing a move to the Crusaders, that would also be a lethal loose trio, probably the best in club rugby, 6. Thomson 7. Mccaw 8. Read

12. Iron Mike

Iron Mike BANNED!!!

It isn't stealing, Dagg wants to move. Guildford was a bench warmer for the Canes with Gear and Smith being the main wings and Freuan was never going to break the combo of Nonu-Smith, who are the All Blacks centre pairing incase you've banged your head and lost all mental capability. They were not getting game time at the Canes, they weren't even protected by the draft, so they had every right to move if they wanted to.

13. TRF_Cymro

TRF_Cymro Cymro The White

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Barbarians

Sonny-Bill Williams despite what people say I think its a quality player and he displayed this in the Amlin Cup Final. Hopefully he will get a good number of caps for NZ in the future.

14. Iron Mike

Iron Mike BANNED!!!

I struggle to understand how Sonny Bill-Williams would ever replace Nonu at second-five for the All Blacks. If anyone has seen him play, he is good but he isn't fantastic. His second pro fight in June obviously highlights aswell, his interest in playing in New Zealand, which is none. He is just a spoilt brat who is going to chase the money, New Zealand doesn't need him and not many people want him. He is 24? 25? I think Robbie Freuan is a better option at 12 for the All Blacks than Sonny-Bill Williams.

15. TRF_Cymro

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Barbarians

Disagree completely. What he offers instead of Nonu is creative skill! I think if he is good enough to compete at more than one sport then good on him, show how much of a sportsman he is. He has been quiet with Toloun and I have seen nothing of this spoilt bratneess that you say. I would never count him playing in NZ. He is a type of player that could be useful to the All Blacks, I have watched four or five games this season with him and I am nothing short but impressed with him. This guy is a good player and has shaped many a game for Toloun.

16. Darwin

Darwin AKA Dingo_Darwin

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Highlanders

I agree with you - from the few games I saw he looked very impressive (especially for someone whos only played union for about a year!). I certainly wouldn't rule out seeing him in an All Black jersey within the next year or so.

17. TRF_Cymro

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Barbarians

What I should have added to the above ... I don't think he will displace an onform Nonu ... but if Nonu does not perform and Sonny is playing in NZ then he would offer a very different type of attack for the All Blacks.

18. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Country Flag:

New Zealand

From the 2nd half of this years S14 season, Nonu didn't look happy playing at all, along with all his shoulder tackles, muttering frustration to himself to giving the F bomb 6 times on radio... He needs to go to NRL... :p

19. lance2010

lance2010 Senior Member

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Chiefs

SBW is playing in top14 Nonu's proved himself at international level in the last few years french top 14 is not international rugby Nonu at 12 and SBW at 13 would be a mean center combo Sonny bill needs to play against the best teams nz teams and s.a teams.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!