• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italians may join Magners League

How are they shoehorn Italy into this competition?! Okay, there is space for possibly three or four more teams but where does that leave the other seven to six Italian teams?!

Riiiiight, lets make the ML even more silly and introduce nationality based relegation :lol:

So if that means Ospreys come last and Viadana come second from last, Viadana get relegated because they're the lowest placed Italian team while the hairsprays get to flop in the HEC or ECC yet again?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 6 2008, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How are they shoehorn Italy into this competition?! Okay, there is space for possibly three or four more teams but where does that leave the other seven to six Italian teams?![/b]

There's space for 2 teams max and the Welsh will have to stop playing in that mickey mouse competition if they are to come in. Obviously it wouldn't be a case of the teams as they stand fighting for a place, there's talk of Italian regions, which is a better idea but I can't see it working to be honest.

Exactly, the North of Italy is very similar to the Midlands of England: chock full of teams full of very house proud fans.

You've got the two Parma clubs, Calvisano, Viadana and I believe Beneton Trevisio. Thats five clubs within about half an hour of each other. Imagine the uproar if they all get lumped together into one region?

EDIT: If we were forced to pick a team to put in the ML though, I'd pick Viadana. Lovely stadium, awesome fanbase and a pretty awesome team as well..they could cut the mustard in the ML.

well they can't even get into the Heineken Cup so what makes you think they could hold their own in the Magners League? Even Connacht pull out better performances in the Challenge Cup than Viadana and they're by far the poorest team in the Magners League so I think your statement is a bit unfounded.

I dont want them in the Magners League,surely they would be better suited to the French Leagues?

again though I think they'd be out of their depth, sure sometimes they get a decent result once in a blue moon against some of the poorer teams in the Top 14 but chances are that said teams are playing in the Pro D2 the following season.

For me the Mangers is a Celtic thing, of course the trips to Italy would be nice but I reckon Italy playing closer to home would be better!

Viadana actually have a good record in European competition. The problem is that they're consistently under the radar and suffer the "once in a blue moon" jibes because they've been denied by a single try or penalty.

Last season for example they caused mayhem against the likes of Barritz, Glasgow and Saracens at home and away. The results almost ALWAYS seriously flattered the likes of the big teams.

Even this year, they've beaten Stade Montois, Bayonne and almost beat Saracens.

Like I reported back in October, this is a team to be reckoned with, if you just dismiss them out of hand like a lot of fans and teams have done, you're going to end up humbled. So far, they've had two French scalps and almost had a superclub scalp and a Caledonian one last season.

Next season? Don't rule them out, they're the Edinburgh of Italy ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 6 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 6 2008, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Riiiiight, lets make the ML even more silly...[/b]

You keep saying that but your Guinness premiership is in just the same boat.
[/b][/quote]

facepalm.jpg

and we all saw how good Edinburgh were last night. Beating Mont de Marsan is nothing to write home about they'll be back in Pro D2 next season and Bayonne have taken the French approach to Europe by changing at least two thirds of their team. Even Saracens managed to win there ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 6 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 6 2008, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Well there's a way to go about things... "I cannot defend my league so I'll criticize yours instead..."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 6 2008, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
and we all saw how good Edinburgh were last night. Beating Mont de Marsan is nothing to write home about they'll be back in Pro D2 next season and Bayonne have taken the French approach to Europe by changing at least two thirds of their team. Even Saracens managed to win there ;)[/b]

Don't say I didn't warn you....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 6 2008, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 6 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Well there's a way to go about things... "I cannot defend my league so I'll criticize yours instead..."
[/b][/quote]

Oh dear its the invasion from the Navy
Time for some ....

dafydd_iwan1.jpg

Dwyt ti'm yn cofio Macsen, Does neb yn ei nabod o, Mae mil a chwe chant o flynyddoedd, Yn amser rhy hir i'r co' ....

I can only speak for Wales but...

Magners League: Wales do not have the quality outside of the Regions that could possibly enable a system where teams are relegated and promoted. It's just not feasible, strength in depth and quality are not there.

Guinness Premiership, however seems to be in a much healthier position. I mean, it's simply a league made for 13 teams, but there's only room for 12. One team gets relegated from the premiership and it bounces back the very next season, same old story.

Latest posts