• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy U20 V New Zealand U20

Shaggy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Looking forward to this match ... can New Zealand get off to a good start by defeating the home side, in their quest to defend it's ***le

New Zealand open the scoring with a try to full back Piutau, Anscombe fails to convert 5 -0

11 minutes gone - penalty to NZ, Anscombe kicks the goal 8-0

Try to right winger Mitchell Scott, which is converted by Anscombe 15 - 0 (after 15 minutes)

Second try to Piutau, Anscombe converts from out front 22 -0 after 20 minutes

New Zealand's fourth try to Lock Steven Luatua, Anscombe converts 29 - 0

Try to NZ left winger Francis Saili, which is converted by Anscombe 36 - 0

Half time:- New Zealand's 36 points have come on the back of good support play, the NZ line out hasn't looked the best. Italy are competing well at the breakdown, and the scrum is also strong

Last edited:
Forgot this one was on, have been watching SA/Scotland instead,

Suppose this is why Jonah Lomu was in the crowd for the England match? (They're on the same pitch)

Second Half - Try to Italy ... left wing Visentin and converted 36 - 7, New Zealand still have a man in the bin

Anscombe scores a try for New Zealand and converts it 43 -7 at the 54 minute mark

Try to Lima Sopoanga, Anscombe converts, 50 - 7

Beauden Barrett sets up TJ Perenara for a try which Anscombe converts ... 7 conversions is apparently a tournament record ... 57 - 7

Beauden Barrett cuts through the middle to score under the posts, which is converted by Nathan George 64 - 7 with 6 minutes left

Full time NZ 64 - Italy 7 ... the New Zealand replacements sure had an impact, it will be interesting to see what the run on side against Wales will be

Last edited:
Sounds like a good start for NZ.
I'd imagine we will start our top side v Wales, with the likes of Codie Taylor, TJ Perenara, and Beauden Barrett all coming into the starting lineup.

Sounds like a good start for NZ.
I'd imagine we will start our top side v Wales, with the likes of Codie Taylor, TJ Perenara, and Beauden Barrett all coming into the starting lineup.
You can look at the highlights and full match replays on the IRB website. The battle between NZs firstfives was the most interesting part of the match; Anscombe directed the team well and picked up an NZ kicking record, Sopoaga showed bucketloads of attacking flair from the 12 jersey, but it was Barrett who completely ripped the defense apart off the bench who looked the best of the 3.

Im not sure if they will trot out the complete top side against Wales, they tend to spread the selection around in all the pool games. Bedwell-Curtis and Shields both looked strong off the bench so i have a feeling one or both will start the next match with Whitelock at the back.
Naholo should move up to the bench ideally and Rhys Llewellyn should really be given a shot against his old mates.
I also have a feeling they might move Saili back to his prefered 12 jersey and tell him to use Matt Morgan as a speed bump.

You can look at the highlights and full match replays on the IRB website. The battle between NZs firstfives was the most interesting part of the match; Anscombe directed the team well and picked up an NZ kicking record, Sopoaga showed bucketloads of attacking flair from the 12 jersey, but it was Barrett who completely ripped the defense apart off the bench who looked the best of the 3.

Im not sure if they will trot out the complete top side against Wales, they tend to spread the selection around in all the pool games. Bedwell-Curtis and Shields both looked strong off the bench so i have a feeling one or both will start the next match with Whitelock at the back.
Naholo should move up to the bench ideally and Rhys Llewellyn should really be given a shot against his old mates.
I also have a feeling they might move Saili back to his prefered 12 jersey and tell him to use Matt Morgan as a speed bump.

Yeah I plan to try to catch a replay of the game sometime over the next day or so. It was interesting to hear Mark Anscombe on the radio a couple of days ago saying that Sopoaga has been picked primarily as a 12, while Barrett has been picked as a fullback. It sounded as though it was unlikely that either would be given any game time at all at first-five during this tournament (he stated that they had picked two 10's: Anscombe and George). I suppose at least that guarantees that his son starts the important matches at 10!

Latest posts