Italy v England

A

An Tarbh

<div align="center">
Italy.gif
Italy v England
England.gif
</div>

The pressure is certainly on England ahead of their trip to Rome following their dramatic second half collapse against Wales.

Injuries will certainly force Ashton into making changes but will we get the changes that are being asked for?

Any chance that Wilkinson and Balshaw will be axed or will they get another chance?

As for Italy, they clearly lacked a fly half in Dublin and to be honest you'd expect a much tougher encounter against this English side than what they got at Croke Park.

What changes can Mallet make to see an improvement in Rome on Sunday?

Is there any chance of Italy getting a first 6N win against England or is it simply a question of margin of victory?

If England can recreate the stuff of the first 40 minutes against Wales for a whole 80 minutes then they'll breeze through.

However, Ashton really has to re-evaluate his options both on the first XV and the replacements. He'll have no choice, five injuries, some of them to the guys who came off of the bench.

Don't think England haven't won away in the six nations since this fixture two years ago. They'll win but slightly unconvincingly...

Just in case Italy pull off a shock victory, lets just get the bitterness out of the way in advance by saying England lost the game and Italy definitley didn't win. :bleh!:

Just in case Italy pull off a shock victory, lets just get the bitterness out of the way in advance by saying England lost the game and Italy definitley didn't win. :bleh!: [/b]

shut_up_bitch.jpg

[blink]CALLING ALL SAXONS SQUAD - CALLING ALL SAXONS SQUAD[/blink] [/b]

Know what the most annoying thing is? There are some experienced guys on the Saxons, guys who really could have been around to help out when Wilko lost his head.

My predictions for the whole tournament were based on home wins. So with that going in to reverse yesterday (with Italy coming close), England should definitely take this one.

But I feel they're going to find a way of screwing it up, somehow. Those wacky, unpredictable anglo-saxons against the dour, lacklustre latins.

I have no idea what team we'll put out. I can't think of a centre pairing that would give me much confidence, nor a scrummaging back three. And the front 5 will have a much tougher task than they did on Saturday.

I can't think of a fit English scrum half, who I'd like to see in the team. With Sackey & Cueto on the wings, it will be distinctly reliant upon what happens inside them, but 'safe' enough. Vianikolo being an impact sub.

My only hope is that Italy lack the flair to expose us as they did against Ireland (and during their 6 Nations tenure).

And please, please, please. No Balshaw.

And if Strettle is going to miss one game, it has to be this one doesn't it. When we really need a penetrative quick jinking runner, we haven't got one.

I reiterate. Please, please, please. No Balshaw.

I agree no Balshite. And Gomarsall too.

Please god let Ashton call up Lewsey.

Is croft fit? Would like to see him. Hopefully Tait will start, as he has the potential to be awesome. I expect a backlash, they'll be so annoyed at throwing the game on saturday! Maybe Cipriani to have a go at some point to see what happens...I don't remember when Wilko last had an outstanding game for England, reputation is one thing and I personally think he walks on water but the Italy match is the perfect time for Cipriani to show his credentials...

We need some more experience in the replacements. V Wales we needed an old head to come on and calm things down, start the team playing back to basics. By the end of the Wales match none of the old heads in the pack took it on themselves to pick up the forward effort (could have been any of Vickery, Sheridan, Regan, shaw, Borthwick or Kay-all very experienced) and we only had Wilko behind the pack trying to make decisions (which rapidly became the wrong decisions). I think Tindall going off really hurt England. Whether you rate him or not as a player, England need someone with strength and experience to take some of the load in running the backline. Even though our team was full of players out of position, we still had loads of options. Some big experienced guys up front offered none of the dynamic driving seen in the first half, and Wilkinson could have called some simple backs moved just to get things running. (Vanikolo charging up the middle would seem like a good option).

the Wales game showed us how good England can play, but also how fragile they are mentally and how lacking in leadership.

Problem is i've no idea who to bring in to ensure we don't see a perfromance like the 2nd half. I don't think any of the saxons squad fit the bill, especially given that after the first half the first XV are clearly quite capable of playing good rugby.

Second issue is injuries. Who should replace Rees, Moody, Tindall and Strettle? I'd keep Vanikolo on the bench. He was good, but vs Italy we may be in need of impact players to take a close game after 60 mins.

This is a good chance as we will ever have, but we will not win... I dont think so anyway.

Id like to see this

1. Lo Cicero
2. Ghiraldini
3. Castrogiovanni
4. Dellape
5. Del Fava
6. Sole
7. Ma. Bergamasco
8. Parisse
9. Travagli
10. Marcato
11. Masi
12. Mi. Bergamasco
13. Canale
14. Robertson
15. Galon

At the moment someone needs to stand up and drag the team out of the crap mentality they are in at the moment. We've lost some key players (especially with Strettle out) so i'm hoping some of the lads from the saxons squad get a call up and perform as emphatically as they do at club level.

If the right players speak up and take some sort of leadership, then I wouldn't be surprised if there was a huge resurgence. However, at the same time, if this doesn't happen then I wouldn't be surprised if Italy get the win by a few points. Up front, they can match nearly any pack, its the backs that let them down i'm afraid.

If Italy win it will be brilliant for the tournament but a disaster for my liver as i think its just about ready to pack up and sod off after saturday night. If England win, then it will be through playing a tight game.

I'd also like to take this moment to issue a jihad on Iain Balshaw. Let the banter against him rain down like a british summer!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7225333.stm

Three players called up to England.

Lee Dickson (Newcastle, Scrum-half)
Shane Geraghty (London Irish, Fly-half, Center)
Magnus Lund (Sale, Flanker)

First good news in ages. Now they've got to find their way into the matchday 22.

EDIT: My apologies Italy but Nick Mallet has made two changes to the team which pushed Ireland all the way last weekend.

Gloucester's Carlos Nieto replaces Calvisanos' Lorenzo Cittadini and Enrico Patrizio replacing Pablo Canavosio of Castres at centre.

Link to that -> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7225489.stm

My apologies Italy but Nick Mallet has made two changes to the team which pushed Ireland all the way last weekend.

Gloucester's Carlos Nieto replaces Calvisanos' Lorenzo Cittadini and Enrico Patrizio replacing Pablo Canavosio of Castres at centre.
[/b]
they're not changes by coach decision

Canavosio got injured after 20 mins at Croke Park: I dunno if it was due to that but he was really inconsistent and in his side italian defence was very weak (the irish try came form there...) so I hope he would have been changed all the way

El Chango (Nieto) couldn't go to Dublin because of familiar problem (his father died) but now he's back in the squad as it has to be (I hope he will start at 3 with Castro at 1, but I guess NM will picck up the same frontrow we saw at Croke Park)

I think Mallet will select the same starting XV we saw at Dublin with Masi at flyhalf (I loved the way he played his first career game at flyhalf: didn't kick away possession and tried to open the game even if course he has to develop a kicking game and find some creativity) and Bortolussi at fullback (despite his bad performance, but he always struggles under pressure), except for the winger position where a youngster (Sgarbi or Patrizio, as Pratichetti is injured) has to be selected

Masi had a good introduction to the wacky world of being a fly-half and Travagli was great at scrum-half! I was worried about what Italy would do after Troncon but if Travagli can keep doing what he's doing (and it seems Troncon is working with Nick Mallet on this) then number 9 will be one position that Italy won't have to worry about!

How good is Enrico Patrizio?

Masi had a good introduction to the wacky world of being a fly-half and Travagli was great at scrum-half! I was worried about what Italy would do after Troncon but if Travagli can keep doing what he's doing (and it seems Troncon is working with Nick Mallet on this) then number 9 will be one position that Italy won't have to worry about!

How good is Enrico Patrizio? [/b]

Masi looks like the choice for the future, but his kicking game needs work. He is their best fly half for a long time for moving the backline. Shame they don't have more kicking options throughout the backline.

I really hope to see Galon at 15 instead of Bortolussi, but my wish may not come true... I think Bortolussi is allowed to have another chance anyway, his World Cup was good on occasions and he may deserve another test... this or play Marcato at 10 and Masi at 15 or vice versa is an idea.

Will Sgarbi play on the wing? It would be good to see this.

Latest posts