• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy v New Zealand

D

darwin_23

Could be an interesting game with rumors that the AB's could rest a large number of first choice players and give some of the other squad players some game time. I'd expect to see the Flynn, Franks, Boric, Messem, Latimer, Ellis, Donald, Delany, MacAlister, Ellison, and Ben Smith either starting or getting some extended game-time from the bench.

I fear that even a second-string AB's team may prove to be too good for Italy who have not really had the best of years (despite competing well against the AB's in NZ). Italy should be able to compete in the forwards- they obviously have a strong front-row with Perugini, Castrogiovanni, and Agüero as props, and Ongaro or Ghiraldini at hooker. While I'm unsure about their locks, they have a number of quality loose forards in Bergamasco, Parisse, and Zanni. The AB's should dominate the Italians in the backs though, so I expect the AB's to play a bit more of an open game plan than they have been previously playing - hopefully the likes of Guilford and Ben Smith get a chance to show what they can do given a bit of space!

Yeah, really looking forward to this game. I would imagine that both Delany and Smith will make their debuts which I hope for Smith's sake he impresses as I'd much rather have either Rokocoko or Gear in the squad. I also question wether Sivivatu will play after his ban. I hope he does because with his pace and the AB's propably looking 4 an open game, he should make quite an impact.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Nov 9 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah, really looking forward to this game. I would imagine that both Delany and Smith will make their debuts which I hope for Smith's sake he impresses as I'd much rather have either Rokocoko or Gear in the squad. I also question wether Sivivatu will play after his ban. I hope he does because with his pace and the AB's propably looking 4 an open game, he should make quite an impact.[/b]
Whether Sivivatu plays is and interesting one. I still think the AB selectors rate him as there number 1 wing - if they want to play him against England the following week they will have to start him in this game, as he is someone who needs game-time to get into top form. This would mean either a demotion for Zac Guilford (who had a superb debut against Wales) or they start Sivivatu on the right wing and Guilford on the left with either Ben Smith, Jane, or Muliana at full-back (or even Ellison). Personally I think they will start Sivivatu, Ben Smith and Jane in the back three, with Zac Guilford to get half a game from the bench.

Should be a good game for our new players and recalled players. Expect to see a blowout but both teams should gain some experience from this match and hopefully better themselves.

I can remember earlier this year we played Italy and might of beat them by about 21 points but for Italy it was a victory and they celebrated like they had won and us being the ever critical Rugby nation that we are didn't really celebrate. For us I guess it wasn't as good as we wanted it to be but for Rugby it was a victory and hopefully Italy can show us some of those talents they used in that match and it'll make it a awesome game to watch.

The thing that I'm most excited about is the fact it's a sell-out. 80,000 people in a football mad country is great for the game in my opinion.

On the actual game, I obviously expect the All Blacks to win. From what I've heard from the Italian I speak with, the Italian team isn't at full strength/some good players have been left out, which makes matters harder. However, with such an intimidating stadium to play in, I don't think the All Blacks will walk all over them. There will definitely need to be some old heads, e.g Brad Thorn, in there to help guide the young guns through the game.

Brad Thorn recons that the coaching staff wont field him, which is a shame because he has started and remained on the field for all 880 minutes of international rugby this year.

from the training field (Arena, Milan) NZ is reported to go for a full second string unit

15. C. Jane 14. B. Smith 13. T. Ellison 12. L. McAlister 11. S. Sivivatu 10. M. Delaney 9. A. Ellis 1. W. Crockett 2. C. Flynn 3. N. Tialata 4. A. Boric 5. T. Donnelly 6. L. Messam 7. T. Latimer 8. R. So'oialo ©

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Nov 9 2009, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Could be an interesting game with rumors that the AB's could rest a large number of first choice players and give some of the other squad players some game time. I'd expect to see the Flynn, Franks, Boric, Messem, Latimer, Ellis, Donald, Delany, MacAlister, Ellison, and Ben Smith either starting or getting some extended game-time from the bench.

I fear that even a second-string AB's team may prove to be too good for Italy who have not really had the best of years (despite competing well against the AB's in NZ). Italy should be able to compete in the forwards- they obviously have a strong front-row with Perugini, Castrogiovanni, and Agüero as props, and Ongaro or Ghiraldini at hooker. While I'm unsure about their locks, they have a number of quality loose forards in Bergamasco, Parisse, and Zanni. The AB's should dominate the Italians in the backs though, so I expect the AB's to play a bit more of an open game plan than they have been previously playing - hopefully the likes of Guilford and Ben Smith get a chance to show what they can do given a bit of space![/b]

I think that Italy could really surprize a lot of people. They have some incredible backs who are noted as quality players in France like Mirco Bermagasco, Canale and Gower. What Mallet ahs done has been very positive even if Italy have not been winning the games. He has corrected the positional errors of the past. Getting Mirco Bergamasco back to the wing has allowed him to contribute better to his team. It has given Italy a solid 11-14 combination with Kaine Robertson which has meant teams now are atttacking much more through the centres and flyhalf areas than outside. In June Italy did well vs Australia and New Zealand in this area. They were able to prevent potential tries which not so long ago would have led to Italy conceeding 6 triesds or more a match and losing by 60 points. Take a look at Italy losing to New Zealand in Marseilles at the World Cup and see where they attacked. What will happen over the coming year - year and a half in preperation for the World Cup is Italy will have a much improved defensive set up as Parisse and Bergamasco will increasingly be making more tackles as attacks target the 10-13 area. Italy could turn over more ball and will of course be a harder team to score against.

It is a huge shame that Gonzalo Canale is injured. It would have been a good chance for him to start at 12 and form a world class combination with Gower. He should be replaced by Andrea Masi at 12. When all is back to normal they should have a great backs set up of 10 Gower, 11 Bergamasco, 12 Canale, 13 Garcia, 14 Robertson and 15 Marcato. Clearly, the best looking Italian backline in my memory. Marcato is injured too, which is another major shame. II guess they will continue with McLean at 15, which should attract a lot of highballs.

In terms of the second row, Italy have not had a good year. In the lineouts, statistically, they were 5th best in the 6 nations. Usually Italy are 2nd or 3rd. They have the players from 1-8 to compete with anybody but have been off their game, notably vs Ireland, Scotland and France this year.

I think Castrogiovaani will start at 3 with Ghiraldini hooker and Perugini at 1. A very strong front row. Great lifters and ball carriers too. Italy will be in the game at half time. The question will be how to play the second half.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Melhor Time @ Nov 10 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It is a huge shame that Gonzalo Canale is injured. It would have been a good chance for him to start at 12 and form a world class combination with Gower. He should be replaced by Andrea Masi at 12.[/b]
Canale is in, he recovered from injury and played last Top14 game last thursday

Masi is out, he suffers a knee injury and will not be back before 40 - 45 days

Sorry but Canale has had so many chances to prove himself, hes not even remotely world class. It might be tightish at the starts but the All Blacks are better than anyone at burying lower ranked teams. I say New Zealand by 40

Seems we will have superb game.
All the new AB will get plenty of chance to prove them. I don't think Italy will be able to stop them but I whish them all the best and hope they will enjoy the game too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danit @ Nov 11 2009, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
from the training field (Arena, Milan) NZ is reported to go for a full second string unit

15. C. Jane 14. B. Smith 13. T. Ellison 12. L. McAlister 11. S. Sivivatu 10. M. Delaney 9. A. Ellis 1. W. Crockett 2. C. Flynn 3. N. Tialata 4. A. Boric 5. T. Donnelly 6. L. Messam 7. T. Latimer 8. R. So'oialo ©[/b]

By all reports that will be the team selected. Though a second string team, it is of similar strength to the team that played Italy in NZ earlier in the year (NZ won a scrappy game 27-6). There would be three debutants, all in the backs (Ellison, Smith, Delaney) - the Italian team would certainly have the edge in experience! Though inexperienced I'd be confident that team would win well against Italy, though it would depend which Italian team turned up - the team that this year just lost to Wales 20-15, or the team that got thrashed the by France 50-8 the week after!

Either Delaney or Donald would have started anyway since Dc was hit with a 1 weeks ban.

This should be a great game for Italian fans I'm rapt that they managed to sellout the stadium. I'm sure alot of the fans would of liked to watch more of our first string players play like McCaw, Carter etc. but it should still make for a very entertaining game.

I like Italy, and I like underdogs, plus they'll do a victory lap if they come within 15 of the AB's :p

Should be a good game

Well, the All Blacks certainly have alot of confidence to choose that team, I hope our bench is a little more solid. That being said I can see us comfortably winning, however with the team selected, we don't seem to have any great attackers other then Sivivatu and sort of Smith. It is a very safe team to win, with 5 players in the backs having a decent kicking game, and all (except maybe Sivivatu) are very comfortable under the high ball.

Ab's officially named:

Cory Jane, Ben Smith, Tamati Ellison, Luke McAlister, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Mike Delany, Andy Ellis; Neemia Tialata, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett, Anthony Boric, Tom Donnelly, Liam Messam, Tanerau Latimer, Rodney So'oialo (captain).

Replacements: Andrew Hore, John Afoa, Jason Eaton, Richie McCaw, Jimmy Cowan, Stephen Donald, Mils Muliaina.

So the starting team as predicted. They have packed the bench with a lot of experience (Hore, McCaw, Cowan, Muliana) in case things don't go to plan - I think Carter may even had been on the bench had he not been suspended.

Mallet picked his XV, a very predictable one

15 Luke MCLEAN (Treviso, 11 caps), 14 Kaine ROBERTSON (Viadana, 39 caps), 13 Gonzalo CANALE (Clermont-Auvergne, 50 caps), 12 Gonzalo GARCIA (Treviso, 10 caps), 11 Mirco BERGAMASCO (Stade Francais, 63 caps), 10 Craig GOWER (Bayonne, 3 caps), 9 ***o TEBALDI (Gran Parma, 3 caps), 1 Salvatore PERUGINI (Bayonne, 63 caps), 2 Leonardo GHIRALDINI (Treviso, 22 caps), 3 Martin CASTROGIOVANNI (Leicester Tigers, 59 caps), 4 Carlo Antonio DEL FAVA (Viadana, 38 caps), 5 Quintin GELDENHUYS (Viadana, 3 caps), 6 Alessandro ZANNI (Treviso, 34 caps), 7 Mauro BERGAMASCO (Stade Francais, 76 caps), 8 Sergio PARISSE (Stade Francais, 65 caps) cap.

16 Fabio ONGARO (Saracens, 61 caps), 17 Ignacio ROUYET (Treviso, 3 caps), 18 Josh SOLE (Viadana, 38 caps), 19 Simone FAVARO (Rugby Parma 1931, 2 caps), 20 Simon PICONE (Treviso, 17 caps), 21 Kristopher BURTON (I Cavalieri Prato, 4 caps), 22 Alberto SGARBI (Treviso, 4 caps)

Latest posts