• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy v Portugal

D

Deano

OK guys what team would you put out against Portugal... here would be mine, consdiering the recent injuries and performances:- we need to get some confidence going.

1. Lo Cicero

2. Ongaro

3. Castrogiovanni

4. Bernabo

5. Bortolami

6. Zanni

7. Ma. Bergamasco

8. Parisse

9. Troncon

10. Pez

11. Stanojevic

12. Mir. Bergamasco

13. Galon

14. Pratichetti

15. De Marigny

16. Ghiraldini

17. Aguero

18. Del Fava

19. Vosowai

20. Canovosio

21. Bortolussi

22. Canale

I hope for at least 50 or 60 points victory and for us to prove a little point before we play Scotland. My only doubt is Pez or Bortolussi... we could play De Marigny at 10 and maybe create a bit better, but Pez is a good kicker and this can at least be used to advantage v Portugal and Scotland.

The Italy team

ITALIA
15 David BORTOLUSSI (Montpellier, 12 caps)
14 Pablo CANAVOSIO (Castres, 16 caps)
13 Gonzalo CANALE (Clermont Auvergne, 34 caps)
12 Andrea MASI (Biarritz Olympique, 33 caps)
11 Matteo PRATICHETTI (Cammi Calvisano, 7 caps)
10 Roland DE MARIGNY (Cammi Calvisano, 18 caps)
9 Alessandro TRONCON (unattached, 99 caps)
8 Manoa VOSAWAI (Overmach Cariparma, 4 caps)
7 Mauro BERGAMASCO (Stade Francais, 60 caps)
6 Sergio PARISSE (Stade Francais, 46 caps)
5 Marco BORTOLAMI (Gloucester RFC, 63 caps) â€" capitano
4 Carlo Antonio DEL FAVA (Ulster, 21 caps)
3 Martin CASTROGIOVANNI (Leicester Tigers, 47 caps)
2 Leonardo GHIRALDINI (Cammi Calvisano, 5 caps)
1 Andrea LO CICERO (Metro-Racing Paris, 69 caps)

a disposizione
16 Fabio ONGARO (Saracens, 50 caps)
17 Matias AGUERO (Saracens, 7 caps)
18 Salvatore PERUGINI (Stade Toulousain, 45 caps)
19 Valerio BERNABO’ (Brive, 13 caps)
20 Silvio ORLANDO (Benetton Treviso, 13 caps)
21 Paul GRIFFEN (Cammi Calvisano, 37 caps)
22 Ezio GALON (Overmach Cariparma, 13 caps)

A decent enough team... we should beat Portugal

Yeah, comfortably.

Now hope that Scotland won't be, likewise, building their momentum on the game against us.

I hope Bortolussi kicks better than he has done so far. [/b]
I watched some games from Bortolussi in his club (Top14 Montpellier) last year, and the (few) games he played for Italy

he usually has a good boot, long distance, good drop (did you see the one vs. Ireland? it was 40 meters...), good tactical use of kicking game

but he struggles when he's under pressure and it's evident that vs. All Blacks he was under a huge pressure he couldn't handle

I'm sure he will play well vs. Portugal but he has to keep confident for the in-or-out match vs. the Scots: he has the tecnical ability to do it but I'm not sure about his mental attitude

<div class='quotemain'> I hope Bortolussi kicks better than he has done so far. [/b]
I watched some games from Bortolussi in his club (Top14 Montpellier) last year, and the (few) games he played for Italy

he usually has a good boot, long distance, good drop (did you see the one vs. Ireland? it was 40 meters...), good tactical use of kicking game

but he struggles when he's under pressure and it's evident that vs. All Blacks he was under a huge pressure he couldn't handle

I'm sure he will play well vs. Portugal but he has to keep confident for the in-or-out match vs. the Scots: he has the tecnical ability to do it but I'm not sure about his mental attitude
[/b][/quote]

I think playing De Marigny will help him out in this department... especially against the Scots.

Another good game, good try, and even loosing our scrum-half , José Pinto was "man of the match"...the result was not so good if we considered what we've played...too many stupid errors...but anyway, I think Italia was a little bit :%#%#: with our response... :D
Let's see the next game with Romania B)
Cheers!

Wow.. no bonus point given!

Congrats Los Lobos! Indeed, the next game will be very interesting (though I still think we have more than what's needed to edge past you B) ).

I can't believe that Parisse wasn't playing n8, instead there was the WORST n8 I've seen in this world cup (by far).

I can't believe that Parisse wasn't playing n8, instead there was the WORST n8 I've seen in this world cup (by far). [/b]
Wosavai, he is a lost bet so far, for sure he will not be picked for the final clash vs. Scotland (but if Italy goes on playing so shite there will be no clash, we will be sweeped away...)

If Italy dont start being the team they were in the 6 nations and the team that came close to beating Ireland then we have no chance of beating Scotland :(

Vosawai? what can he actually do? part from run with the ball then drop it.
Parisse is a much better ball carrier.

Im not too keen on Bortolussi either i much prefer de Marigny or Ezio Galon, although Bortolussi did prove he can kick well against portugal (gg by the way) but who ever heard of a Frenchman playing for Italy? :eek:

But a win is a win, it should give the team more confidence for the Scotland match.

I think there are 2 possible scenarios:
1) this is pretty much the italian strenght for this wc, which means scotland is gonna dominate the game.

2) they just prepare the team for the scotland game, so they will be in top form for that game. In that case it is a 50-50.

Much will depend on how many mistakes scotland is gonna make, a solid scotland is gonna beat italy, a nervous scotland might lose.

I thought Bortolussi was much better so thats a good start. I also thought we were good in our shape and quite decent in many phases, but we lack a killer touch. We seem to struggle to score points and in particular tries. Unless Scotland gifts us a few tries again I cant see us beating them this time, but of course we will give them a good match.

I agree with all of you that Vosowai was terrible. Is Zaffiri injured for this tournament because he wa svery good in the 6N, but he isnt selected here. Zanni should be called back in. I know he sucked v NZ, but well thats 1 macth. He should be at 6 with Parisse at 8.

I also hope Stanojevic is back because I think he is our most dangerous winger and Pratichetti I hope keeps his place on the other side, but Im quite sure Robertson will play. I would also select Masi ahead of Canale for the game v Scotland. I would also keep De Marigny at 10 and Bortolussi at 15.

I agree with all of you that Vosowai was terrible. Is Zaffiri injured for this tournament because he wa svery good in the 6N, but he isnt selected here. Zanni should be called back in. I know he sucked v NZ, but well thats 1 macth. He should be at 6 with Parisse at 8.

I also hope Stanojevic is back because I think he is our most dangerous winger and Pratichetti I hope keeps his place on the other side, but Im quite sure Robertson will play. I would also select Masi ahead of Canale for the game v Scotland. I would also keep De Marigny at 10 and Bortolussi at 15. [/b]
Zanni is injured and went back to his club, Mandelli was called in the squad. Zaffiri is not injured actually but he was until a couple of weeks ago, so he is probably not fit for a RWC.

Vs. Scotland Stanojevic and Robertson will play, I'm sure. I guess Masi will be confirmed, he should play inside center in my opinion and probably will be picked togheter with Mi. Bergamasco as Canale is showing he is not in his best form (but I would keep him on the bench).

Pez at 10, Bortolussi at 15, De Marigny on the bench as utility back replacment.

We are clearly underdog (a comfortable position for Italy) but we must understand that all our hopes are based on mental attitude: we need to give the Scots a dogfight, that's all... if we have to lose let's do it with pride

I'll be there at Saint Etienne, hope to see a real thrillng match

Good game by Portugal. You can see they are growing up. But their lack of experience is great too. They made a lot of mistakes, and only lost by 26 because of that.
But i liked to see the match, and the way Portugal played.
About Italy... i know you can do it better...

I was really proud of our team, more so than in the other games. They matched Italy until very late in the game and showed great determination. I hope they can seal their 1st RWC with a win against the Oaks.