• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy’s future in 6N

Ospervat

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Plymouth
Does Italy deserve to continue playing in the 6N?

They are again at their lowest world ranking ever at 15.
They've now lost 36 consecutive games in the competition. Their last win was Feb 2015 v Scotland.
They haven't had a 6N home victory since 2013 - that's 19 consecutive losses at home.

Is it time to drop them in favour of a more competitive N hemisphere side OR introduce new sides to the completion eg Japan, Georgia, USA etc who will at the very least provide a more or less equivalent level of opposition.

I've said this for a few years but personally I would like to see a two legged play-off between the wooden-spooners and Rugby European Championship winners. Can't see it happening though as Italy offer so much more than most of the nations within the Rugby European Championship in terms of both economic and rugby infrastructure. Most of the other nations offer one or the other but not really both.

How can they have 36 consecutive losses if they play 5 games a year in the 6N?

I've said this for a few years but personally I would like to see a two legged play-off between the wooden-spooners and Rugby European Championship winners. Can't see it happening though as Italy offer so much more than most of the nations within the Rugby European Championship in terms of both economic and rugby infrastructure. Most of the other nations offer one or the other but not really both.
There has to be something better than the current structure. Whether it's something like you suggest or some other solution - either way the current format is ridiculous - getting trounced week after week.
The IRB or whichever body responsible should/need to take a long hard look at it.
22 years in and their game is still way off Tier 1 standard.
Being cannon fodder is cruel.

Simple answer: no they don't. Cut it back down to 5 nations. Not sure Georgia would be much better and Italy are probably better than them.

There has to be something better than the current structure. Whether it's something like you suggest or some other solution - either way the current format is ridiculous - getting trounced week after week.
The IRB or whichever body responsible should/need to take a long hard look at it.
22 years in and their game is still way off Tier 1 standard.
Being cannon fodder is cruel.
Yeah and a season of trouncing every team in the Rugby European Championship could only serve to build some confidence within the Italian team... I don't even think it would come to that though. Italy would probably still beat Georgia (or whomever) 9 times out of 10 in a play-off.

The other issues are that a lot of money has been invested in to Italy to legitimise them and people are loathe to pull the plug when their in deep... also I'm sure that the Italian Rugby Union has a part ownership of the 6 Nations (I could be wrong on that though).

Simple answer: no they don't. Cut it back down to 5 nations. Not sure Georgia would be much better and Italy are probably better than them.
Everyone sees things differently but I'd still rather a 6 team comp so that every nation is involved during every round. I'd rather thump Italy than Wales not play at all that weekend... still I agree that as it stands it is far from ideal.

Definitely worth it. Maybe not in match results, but an away trip to Rome is worth their participation.

I'm also pretty sure I read somewhere that they had a massive injury list, coupled with an incredibly young side they are bound to struggle.

They are boring to watch and offer nothing. Well past time to bin them off. They aren't getting better any time soon so they just need to go into a lower competition.

Do they deserve their place? Subjective and dependant on a lot of factors, based on the standards of other teams no. Although they have structures in place and we're winning regularly at 20s level pre covid.

Is the tournament better for having them, yes. It's already heavily influenced by who you have at home amd with 6 day turnarounds v 7 day turnarounds. Throw bye weeks into the mix and it's barely worth playing.

Definitely worth it. Maybe not in match results, but an away trip to Rome is worth their participation.

I'm also pretty sure I read somewhere that they had a massive injury list, coupled with an incredibly young side they are bound to struggle.
Fair enough - valid points for the 2021 6N to a degree. However that would indicate that they don't have much depth in their talent pool which after 20 odd years of investment is a worry.

I'm also taking a more holistic view and not just looking at the last few weeks results.
An interesting exercise might be to look at their W/L PF/PA and TF/TA stats for 2000-2005 and compare to 2016-2021 to see if their is any improvement in real terms relative to the home nations and France.

Fair enough - valid points for the 2021 6N to a degree. However that would indicate that they don't have much depth in their talent pool which after 20 odd years of investment is a worry.

I'm also taking a more holistic view and not just looking at the last few weeks results.
An interesting exercise might be to look at their W/L PF/PA and TF/TA stats for 2000-2005 and compare to 2016-2021 to see if their is any improvement in real terms relative to the home nations and France.
To be fair, that Italian team of the late 90's and early 2000's was a bloody good team... they've never really had that level of quality since. This current crop were a really good under 20 side though, so if nurtured correctly could end up being more competitive than they have been for a while.

why do people think Italy havent improved much over the last 20 years? Argentina started to get compared to Italy after a couple of years in the RC and SR but the last fews years saw huge improvement

why do people think Italy havent improved much over the last 20 years? Argentina started to get compared to Italy after a couple of years in the RC and SR but the last fews years saw huge improvement
Are you asking why we don't think Italy have improved in the last 20 years? It's because they haven't. Look at results and watch them play. Same mistakes, same boring losses for the last 20 years. Ignore what other teams have done, Italy definitely haven't improved much if at all I'm afraid.

A run of 30-something losses on the bounce and no sign of that run coming to an end. It could honestly stretch out past 50 or more judging by the performances this championship.

A run of 30-something losses on the bounce and no sign of that run coming to an end. It could honestly stretch out past 50 or more judging by the performances this championship.
Precisely. Something needs to be done to incentivise or even force them to step up and improve their development, quality of domestic competitions, depth of talent, game skills, management, structure, remuneration, coaching etc.
If not, then ciao.
I wouldn't mind them losing 30 odd games in a row so much if the games were tighter - the margins are consistently increasing. That's the issue that needs to be addressed.

IMG_20210315_084155.jpg

Yeah, but why? Haven't invested in their club comp? Haven't developed the off field mental stuff? Haven't developed game plans that work with the players they have?

saying they haven't because they haven't doesn't answer much, are we just putting it down to the opposite of success beget success? Once your **** you can never come back?
Are you asking why we don't think Italy have improved in the last 20 years? It's because they haven't. Look at results and watch them play. Same mistakes, same boring losses for the last 20 years. Ignore what other teams have done, Italy definitely haven't improved much if at all I'm afraid.

Latest posts