• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ITM Cup - Premiership Final: Auckland vs Canterbury

Muzzy

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Fiji
The two big rivals in NZ rugby, Auckland and Canterbury play for the ITM Cup Premiership in Christchurch

This game is being played at such a fast pace, Canterbury were the favourites going into tihs, and against the run of play and with only 14 men Canterbury have snatched a late lead at half time to lead. Auckland have been dominating Canterbury in possession and territory and are very unlucky not to have scored a try when a Canterbury player deliberatley knocked the ball on when Auckland had a 3 man over lap, resulting in a yellow card.

So far Canterbury 15 Auckland 13

Teams:

Canterbury: 1. Wyatt Crockett, 2. Ben Funnell, 3. Ben Franks, 4. Joel Everson, 5. Dominic Bird, 6. George Whitelock (capt), 7. Matt Todd, 8. Luke Whitelock, 9. Andy Ellis, 10. Tyler Bleyendaal, 11. Willi Heinz, 12. Ryan Crotty, 13. Robbie Fruean, 14. Telusa Veainu, 15. Tom Taylor.

Reserves:
16. Codie Taylor, 17. Joe Moody, 18. Jed Brown, 19. Jordan Taufua, 20. Matthew Thatcher, 21. Kolio Hifo, 22. Stephen Gee.

Auckland: 1. Pauliasi Manu, 2. Tom McCartney, 3. Angus Ta'avao, 4. Liaki Moli, 5. Ali Williams, 6. Steven Luatua, 7. Daniel Braid (capt), 8. Joe Edwards, 9. Alby Mathewson, 10. Gareth Anscombe, 11. Dave Thomas, 12. Hadleigh Parkes, 13. Malakai Fekitoa, 14. Ben Lam, 15.Charles Piutau.

Reserves:
16. Nathan Vella, 17. Charlie Faumuina, 18. Andrew van der Heijden, 19. Wayne Ngaluafe, 20. Scott Patterson, 21. Simon Hickey, 22. Lolagi Visinia.

Auckland lost their momentum after that deliberate knock-on ruined their chance of scoring a try. I personally thought it should've been a penalty try - if it didn't happen Auckland had, what, three players outside? The pass was poor, though. It should probably have gone higher, beyond Veainu's reach. Maybe even a chip kick would have worked.

Auckland lost their momentum after that deliberate knock-on ruined their chance of scoring a try. I personally thought it should've been a penalty try - if it didn't happen Auckland had, what, three players outside? The pass was poor, though. It should probably have gone higher, beyond Veainu's reach. Maybe even a chip kick would have worked.

Completely agree with you there. Auckland looked good early on but once Canterbury stopped their momentum they really struggled. But Canterbury were deserved winners.

Sadly once that try didn't happen and then Canterbury scored that try just before half time, I that feeling inside like 'thats it, its over' lol, I actually walked out after that. If Auckland couldn't go into the lead while they had all the possession and canterbury had 14 men, they just weren't gonna win.

It was a real game of two halfs, first half was really fast paced, Auckland had all the momentum but the little things just didn't go their way. Second half was really slow paced and Canterbury had all the momentum and everything went their way

Last edited:

Latest posts