• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IT'S NOT MY FAULT!

B

Bullitt

First of all, let's set the scene:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnis...us-2064681.html
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Sneering is one of the occupational hazards of journalism. It is also one of the most inexcusable. For no one ever sneered without intending to amuse some by hurting others. Which was no doubt what, sub- consciously, I had in mind in 1992, when writing what is called a 'colour story' about the Ireland-Wales game.

Colour stories, I should tell you, are usually penned by the technically ignorant but adjectivally incontinent. One of the many Irish players who had an off-day that afternoon was Brendan Mullin.

Some of you might not remember the name. Let me try to be adjectivally continent here. Brendan was simply the greatest Irish back for a span of about 20 years: say, between Mike Gibson and Brian O'Driscoll.

He had a wonderful eye for an opening, was fast and as graceful as gazelle, but tackled like a tiger. He was fearless and brave, loyal and true, a born officer and a natural gentleman. He served his country through thick and thin: a more admirable player has never worn the green shirt.

And yet, in my colour story, I sneered at this great and honourable player for having had a poor match. I have done many things I am not proud of as a journalist, but that has to be one of the most contemptible. All I can say in my defence is I did not consciously set out to sneer: but clearly, my sub-conscious did.

So what follows is not a sneer, no matter how it might read. Last Saturday's match did not result in a victory for the stronger team. For it was, primarily, a victory of the Irish sub-conscious. Ireland did not want to win, and Declan Kidney did not choose a team that could win. His selection of Ronan O'Gara said as much.

For the past couple of years, opposing teams have focused on attacking through the channel where he stands.

Everyone knows his defence is weak. That is the nature of the player. He is not a Brendan Mullin or a Brian O'Driscoll or a Mike Gibson. Somewhere in the opposing back line -- and his number is irrelevant because he could turn up anywhere -- was Bastareaud, who is less a human being than a tsunami on legs. Teams playing France must not tackle him so much as lawfully incapacitate him. Nothing less will do. Jonathan Sexton might have done that. Ronan O'Gara was as likely to do it as Kate Moss.

A team that had been selected to win would not have had a half-back partnership of O'Gara and O'Leary, especially after it became clear that the scrum-half was having a nightmare to match his outhalf's.

Ireland's true strength lay in our wonderful backs. If you choose outhalves that are incapable of giving them quick ball, then you are doing the French's job for them.

So, too, is needlessly reducing team strength to 14, courtesy of Cian Healy's essay in idiocy.

And no team that wanted to win would ever have contained a player who clearly felt authorised to perform a foul as truly stupid, brutal and criminal as Jerry Flannery's trip on Palisson. Flannery should have been sent off, if not by the referee, then by Declan Kidney, and told to sit in the bus until it was time to go to the airport. He should also have been told not to bother looking at Irish squad selections for a couple of years. Pour encourager les autres, as Monsieur Bastareaud might have put it. As it was, a possibly kickable Irish penalty was reversed, and the French penalty led to a try: a 10-point foul. You can only give the French 10 points if, deep down, you prefer defeat.

And opting to retain the O'Gara-O'Leary combination till 10 minutes from the end, and not to go for a goal with a penalty under the posts -- in France, for God's sake -- is such stupid decision making as to constitute a declaration: WE ARE NOT SERIOUS HERE. WE DO NOT WANT TO WIN.

The question is: why?

What causes a people to behave so dysfunctionally as to make failure literally inevitable?

Alas, it is a common Irish characteristic: far more common than we like to admit. For we are comfortable with failure. It's a familiar condition and it suits us. Even a natural winner like Declan Kidney can be sub-consciously drawn by its allure. We see the pathology of defeatism throughout the administration of our State.

Indeed, is not political violence -- and the reverence we show it -- evidence of a preference for malfunctionalism?

Were our inevitably suicidal economic policies of the past decade not proof that we sought failure?

Do we not repeatedly seek refuge in formulas that we subconsciously must know in advance cannot work, but then we blame the inevitable failure on something other than our own preference for it?

Last season's Grand Slam was the aberration -- and please remember, we nearly forfeited it with an idiotic and needless penalty in the last seconds of the final match, which the Welsh would probably have converted had Gavin Henson kicked it.

So the following doesn't make for pleasant reading; but the Irish team that lost in France really was representing Ireland.[/b]

Fast forward 1 week and an American shitehawk takes offence:
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/...rs-2070434.html
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I HAVE to reply to the scurrilous article by Kevin Myers (Irish Independent, February 16), although it takes a lot for me, as a professional sportsman, to react to a newspaper article.

However, rugby is my place of work and whether it's with Munster, Ireland or the Lions, I take my work very seriously.

I do not accept being castigated by a journalist who I suspect knows nothing about rugby but somehow appoints himself as an 'expert'. This falls well short of the journalistic standards I would expect from one of our main national newspapers.

Ireland was well beaten last Saturday by a French team that was better on the day. I am but one of that Irish team and I'm well known for taking my share of responsibility, regardless of the outcome of any game.

I know only too well the build-up to Saturday's game -- and indeed to other recent internationals -- in relation to my position.

I am well able to analyse any game of rugby and would often be accused by those whom I most trust of being my own harshest critic. However, in relation to last Saturday, I will not be scapegoated by Mr Myers or any journalist who wants to write in that fashion.

Any article needs to be balanced and I would suggest to you, Mr Editor, that that is the least you should demand from your journalists, whether freelance or otherwise.

Ronan O'Gara
ROCHESTOWN, CORK[/b]

http://www.owlsonline.com/images/emoticons/******.gif

HAHA. Was that really his reply? That journo must surely be the the champion big-game fisherman now!

To be honest it was a bit of a shite article in the first place. What kind of reputable journalist can say a team, especially one coached by Declan Kidney, would be going out at this level without the full intention of winning? Perhaps they went about it in the wrong fashion but nevertheless it's a dumb point. Kevin Myers is well known as a bit of a hack, an Irish Stephen Jones if you will. He's just looking to stir up a bit of controversy and ROG took the bait.

Still, it's of little consequence. O'Gara will dropped and the age of Sexton will finally be fully upon us.

Yes a fully fit Irish starting 15 is starting to look very Lenistery

1. Healy
2. JACKAMN (Yeah, what?)
3. ROSS (Clearly!)
4. Cullen
5. O'Connell (booo)
6. MCLAUGHLIN (so what? I'll do what I want)
7. O'Brien
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10. Sexton
11. Fitzgerald
12. D'Arcy
13. O'Driscoll
14. HORGAN (so what? I'll do what i want)
15. Kearney

Btw, I've gone insane

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 19 2010, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
(so what? I'll do what i want)[/b]
cartman-1.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 19 2010, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

1. Healy
2. JACKAMN (Yeah, what?)
3. ROSS (Clearly!)
4. Cullen
5. O'Connell (booo)
7. O'Brien
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10. Sexton
11. Fitzgerald
12. D'Arcy
13. O'Driscoll
15. Kearney

Btw, I've gone insane[/b]
Ross & Jackman :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatever about the rest .......
Jackman wouldn't **** straight never mind throw :p
And Ross :eek: He'd probably do more on Dole than he does for Leinster :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 19 2010, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 19 2010, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Healy
2. JACKAMN (Yeah, what?)
3. ROSS (Clearly!)
4. Cullen
5. O'Connell (booo)
7. O'Brien
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10. Sexton
11. Fitzgerald
12. D'Arcy
13. O'Driscoll
15. Kearney

Btw, I've gone insane[/b]
Ross & Jackman :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatever about the rest .......
Jackman wouldn't **** straight never mind throw :p
And Ross :eek: He'd probably do more on Dole than he does for Leinster :lol:
[/b][/quote]

I'll have you know that Ross has been making leaps and bounds towards becoming a sub standard professional rugby player

Erm yep. Anyway tis a good point in there somewhere. Leinster are starting to dominate or at least get a Lion's share of the Irish 22.

Healy, Cullen, O'Brien, Sexton, Reddan, Heaslip, Fitzgerald, Kearney, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll and Mclaughlin are all either there or there abouts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 19 2010, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Erm yep. Anyway tis a good point in there somewhere. Leinster are starting to dominate or at least get a Lion's share of the Irish 22.

Healy, Cullen, O'Brien, Sexton, Reddan, Heaslip, Fitzgerald, Kearney, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll and Mclaughlin are all either there or there abouts.[/b]

Yeah I was originally gonna make a good point but then I said **** it!!

Scary thing is Leinster squad is young.

If Luke Fitz was fit would Shaggy or Nacewa loose out I wonder in Leinster team as I doubt Kearney would've been kept on bench. (As he was for start of H'Cup)

In future it hard to see (excluding Earls & maybe Hurley) any young back outside Leinster breaking in.
I say this knowimg Carr will only make internationals if he returns to Leinster.

I know Trimble young too but sorry i just don't rate him as he started young but hasn't produced.

ROG's first mistake - rising to Kevin Myers, who is a soccer nut.

Second mistake - writing like a pompous lawyer.

Third mistake - calling the Irish Times reputable.

You can tell he spent all day writing that, with the tip of his tongue sticking out the side of his mouth. Then his wife tidied away the multi-coloured crayons, typed it up and stuck it in the post.

I agree with Horgan at 14.

Horgan is where it's at. Neither Earls or Trimble have been particluarly convincing in the green jersey as of late so a chance to bung one out of the team should be leaped upon. Picking the experianced and on form player would seem to be the obvious choice.

That was a hillarious article and an even more hillarious response.
The article itself seemed like controversial fluff and nothing more, but they only want sales, i guess.
I'm sure they got it.
Lol.

Latest posts