• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jake wants his job back, within the week.

Sker

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Cheetahs
From SArugby.com

Jake White just can’t bear to watch the Springboks play dismally anymore. And he’s ready to help the struggling team he coached to the World Cup three years ago.

“I can’t bear to watch the Springboks playing like this anymore,†said White after the Boks’ 41-39 defeat by Australia in Bloemfontein on Saturday.

“I’m ready to do a hospital job and coach the Springboks to the World Cup in 2011 if the South African Rugby Union wants me.â€

White is set to assemble several members of his coaching team that helped the Springboks to the world ***le in 2007.

“I’ve spoken to [former Wallaby coach and Bok technical adviser] Eddie Jones and he’s keen to partner up again. Fitness coach Derik Coetzee is also willing to come on board,†White told The Times.

“None of us are locked into any contracts with other clubs or countries. We could start next week if Saru wanted.

“I’ve already made contact with Saru president Oregan Hoskins but he keeps telling me he has to run the idea past the executive council. Well, I’m saying I’m available because what we’ve seen with the Springboks in the past 10 months is worrying.â€

Hoskins declined to talk to The Times yesterday in the wake of the Springboks’ worst-ever Tri-Nations performance.

The 2009 champions lost five out of six games, conceding a record 22 tries, including 12 tries at home. They conceded a record 194 points and accumulated a record low seven log points since the tournament expanded to six games.

And coach Peter de Villiers has constantly been in the headlines for the wrong reasons.

Last week De Villiers told the world that the Springboks supported Bees Roux “100%â€.

Roux has been charged for the death of Johannes Mogale, a traffic policeman.

The Boks’ latest defeat came after they had bravely clawed their way back from 31-6 down in Bloemfontein to lead the game 39-38 going into the last minute. Afterwards De Villiers said: “Our structures are in place and they can take us to the World Cup if executed properly.â€

Saru’s statement yesterday confirmed that De Villiers would undergo a performance review, a standard procedure after each phase of the international season.

But Hoskins noted in the statement: “All rugby followers are extremely disappointed with results in the Tri-Nations, as are the Springbok team and management. We take the situation very seriously, but there is a process in place and we will follow that through.â€

Hoskins said that there would be formal discussions with the coach about some of his reported comments.

He added that he had written to Mogale’s family to express the union’s support and condolences.

With thanks to TimesLive

More:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/Jake-Give-me-Divs-job-20100906

Johannesburg - Jake White wants his old job back - but only as an interim measure to help get Springbok rugby back on track before handing over to his former assistant, Allister Coetzee, after 2011.

GALLERY: Springboks v Wallabies, Bloemfontein

Book to watch the Boks on tour!

The former Springbok coach, in arguing that he should be given the chance to be a caretaker coach for the Boks until the World Cup in New Zealand, reckons that 12 months is enough time for him to turn the team around and prepare them for a second consecutive World Cup ***le.
The clamour for incumbent Bok coach Peter de Villiers has increased following the defeat to Australia at the weekend which leaves the South Africans looking back at a lamentable year since they won the Tri-Nations last September.

White told The Times newspaper on Sunday that he would like a chance to fix the Boks as a crisis measure, but elaborated further in a chat with Supersport.co.za on Monday. He said he agrees with the view of many critics that the blunders that have been made along the way to a record which reads lost seven and won six in that time period, mean De Villiers should make way for someone new, even at this late stage in the build-up to the next World Cup.

The former Bok mentor, who guided the Boks from the nadir they had reached at the end of the Rudolf Straeuli reign to respectability and then the World Cup ***le in 2007, believes his former assistant, Coetzee, is the future for the Boks long-term. But he says it would be unfair to bring the current Western Province and Stormers coach into the system as Bok head coach as replacement for De Villiers just 12 months before the World Cup.

"Allister was the man who should have been appointed to replace me after the last World Cup. I said so at the time, and I remain convinced about that," said White on Monday.

"But I think it might be a bit unfair on Allister, or anyone else for that matter, to be brought in on a 12 month contract and expected to fix it in that space of time with no guarantee that they will stay on beyond the World Cup. When you take over the national job, you do need a bit of time to grow into it.

"At a World Cup you need someone who has been a head coach at international level for a while. I am prepared to do that job and take it on a temporary basis. I have experience of what is required, I know the players because two thirds of the guys who make up the core group were players I coached up until the last World Cup."

Some might think White is an opportunist by putting up his hand to coach the Boks at this time when there is so much growing pressure De Villiers following a last placed finish in the Tri-Nations, but White says he has just become so frustrated seeing the reputation he helped the Boks build being destroyed by poor decisions and tactics.

That is why after initially saying he wanted a chance to take on a second term after De Villiers' contract has run its course at the end of 2011, White is now wanting to take the job on now. He has spoken to South African Rugby Union president Oregan Hoskins, and if his proposal is accepted, he will re-employ former Wallaby coach Eddie Jones as his assistant.

"I have spoken to Eddie and he is very eager to get involved again if the opportunity arises and he would love to have a crack at winning another World Cup," said White.

After that, however, White would want to hand over the reins to Coetzee, who together with current Ireland forwards coach Gert Smal, was at his side throughout his successful reign as Bok coach from 2004 to the end of 2007.

"I definitely do think Allister is the man to take the Boks to the next World Cup after this one and I would like to help pave the way for him by using the next 12 months to get the Boks back on the right path."

White is emphatic that 12 months is enough time for the Boks to come right with the correct guidance, and cites the late Kitch Christie, the man who guided South Africa to its first World Cup ***le in 1995, as an example of someone who successfully carried off an "ambulance job".

"It's not too late for the Boks to change coach, Kitch did it successfully and I would want to take the job on similar terms," said White.

"We were the strongest defensive team in world rugby a short while ago, now suddenly we are conceding 22 tries in a Tri-Nations season. That is unacceptable, and there are such elementary mistakes that are being made. It's extremely frustrating to watch it happen and it saddens me to see it.

"Neither myself or Eddie are in contract with anyone at the moment, we can start next week if Saru want us to. We are available to work with the Boks again, and I have told Oregan Hoskins as much. To me it's hard to imagine how they can think they can carry on with the current set-up, but getting someone with the necessary experience in for just 12 months is going to be difficult.

"I have the advantage of having worked with most of the players, I live in South Africa and know the personalities and the issues. The players we have in this country are good enough to win a World Cup, they just need guidance."

As lovely as this sounds, it will never happen...

Got all excited a minute ago when i read that PDV was meeting with SARU to discuss his future, until it then mentioned that this is just his yearly review, and not anything special :(
He really needs to go if SA want a proper go at defending their WC

If it happens, all South African will collectively breathe a sigh of relief.

Except the fucker who wants the Springboks to become the proteas, he should just die.

If it happens, all South African will collectively breathe a sigh of relief.

Except the fucker who wants the Springboks to become the proteas, he should just die.

Wouldn't the Bok's look lovely if they all came out with lovely Protea flowers in their hair? In all seriousness the Protea idea is sensationally dumb.

Itr's not the classiest thing in the World to openly pitch for another man's job. Despite that, White would be a mssive improvement.

How much of the Boks struggles are due to the ridiculous playing schedule they're undertaking this year?

None. The playing schedule was far worse last year when we had a Lions tour. Fatigue was not a factor then was it? Poor excuse for even poorer performances.

The Lions were the worst defensive team in the Super 14. Can anyone guess who the coach was? That's right. Dick Muir. WTF is he doing in the Springbok set-up? PDV is nothing but a political show-pony, who has been riding on a WC winning team. The entiere coaching staff needs to GTFO.

2 South African Super 14 franchises are winners and runners up, but then the national side comprising of players from those two unions put out the worst Tri-Nations campaign in our contry's history... Doesn't that tell you something about the coaching staff?

Wishful thinking to say the least... Meh, will never happen. Not with the emphasis being on having a coach of colour. Screw demographics and crap. Sport is sport and only the best should represent their country. If only our government would see the light. They would rather have a "well represented" side instead of winning a world cup.

I also don't buy the overplayed crap. SA, AUS and NZ play in the same competitions and play the same number of matches. Perhaps our training is too strenuous, just check our warm-up compared to AUS and NZ, we like go all out. No wonder we look "jaded" every first 40 we played this year.

I think PDV is a SUPERB coach and needs to be given more time.

Preferably one year.

Until the end of the group stages of the Rugby World Cup.

None. The playing schedule was far worse last year when we had a Lions tour. Fatigue was not a factor then was it? Poor excuse for even poorer performances.

The Lions were the worst defensive team in the Super 14. Can anyone guess who the coach was? That's right. Dick Muir. WTF is he doing in the Springbok set-up? PDV is nothing but a political show-pony, who has been riding on a WC winning team. The entiere coaching staff needs to GTFO.

2 South African Super 14 franchises are winners and runners up, but then the national side comprising of players from those two unions put out the worst Tri-Nations campaign in our contry's history... Doesn't that tell you something about the coaching staff?

Valid point, but you can't blame them for the shitty performance of players like Banana.Don't think that even the "Great White" will be able to sort Habana out!
But yeah we definitely need Jake back, much better than sing-along-PDivvy

Well Im hoping PDV stays at least till the end of the RWC. Weve got the 'boks in our pool so we need PDV to be (pffft) 'running things'. The way I see it as long as PDV is the coach the 'boks have no coach.

Jake stay right where you are buddy.

interesting to think. Aparently Jake white got fired for complaining about ticket prices. Compare that to what the village idiot has been up to since he was made coach!

PDV is so unprofessional, he's a sore loser and a arogant winner. Opens his mouth when he should just keep it shut, keep his opinions to himself and actually coach his team. It's funny even some of his players think he does a good job diverting attention away from the players so they can do their job....

Valid point, but you can't blame them for the shitty performance of players like Banana.Don't think that even the "Great White" will be able to sort Habana out!
But yeah we definitely need Jake back, much better than sing-along-PDivvy

Yes, but my point is, why does the whole world know that Habana must be dropped after 5 useless performances, but still the coach leaves him there? It's not the coaches fault that Habana is off form, but it is their fault that he was not dropped when he should have been...

I think all of you Boks are being really ungrateful to PDV who has done so much for the team in his time in charge.

Just give him a few more months, preferably all the months until the Rugby World Cup :)

Oi! Stop your sideline view, and get on the PDV hate-bus!

Yes, but my point is, why does the whole world know that Habana must be dropped after 5 useless performances, but still the coach leaves him there? It's not the coaches fault that Habana is off form, but it is their fault that he was not dropped when he should have been...
Thats why I like PDV he does his best to make the 'boks lose lol. No but seriously I know what you mean some of his coaching are almost no-brainers. However from a opponents perspective the 'boks next year in the RWC are mission impossible for us, so we need this disarray to be prolonged till after the RWC. For us opponents, in PDV we trust.
What I cant figure out is the change in one year, I mean the 'boks was just too good last year.

I think all of you Boks are being really ungrateful to PDV who has done so much for the team in his time in charge.

Just give him a few more months, preferably all the months until the Rugby World Cup :)
Absolutely Prestwick, my man. Is your team in our pool with South Africa?

Wait wait wait wait wait...

I'm confused here, everyone was calling for Francois Steyn to be back in the Boks? He is this ''prodigal son'', yet since being back in the Boks he has done more harm than good, yet none critisizes that? Taking off Gio Aplon for Francois Steyn is a stupid decision, but out of the two, Francois Steyn vs Bryan Habana, Habana has been a lot better.

It isn't poor coaching, it is bad decision making from the players and they really need Fourie Du Preez back, along with a fetcher.

Wait wait wait wait wait...

I'm confused here, everyone was calling for Francois Steyn to be back in the Boks? He is this ''prodigal son'', yet since being back in the Boks he has done more harm than good, yet none critisizes that? Taking off Gio Aplon for Francois Steyn is a stupid decision, but out of the two, Francois Steyn vs Bryan Habana, Habana has been a lot better.

It isn't poor coaching, it is bad decision making from the players and they really need Fourie Du Preez back, along with a fetcher.

- PDV had a fallout with Francois Steyn, which, in my books, is bad player management. If Steyn had been there since the beginning of the Tri-Nations, it would have been a different story.

- Why did it take PDV 6 games to realise that Francois Hougaard needs to start ahead of Ricky Januarie? BAD SELECTION

- Why was Spies not dropped for Kankowski? Instead, Spies gets his undroppable status, while Kankowski gets shoved into another position he doesn't play, then proceeds to be dropped for not performing.

- Why was Jean de Villiers on the wing??? WTF???

- Why, against New Zealand, when our two best players in Juan Smith and Francois Hougaard, does the coach decide to substitute them at such a crucial point in the match?

- John Smit was struggling against New Zealand, but the coach refuses to bring on Chilliboy, and we all know who missed the tackle on Nonu. Then against Australia, Smit playes his heart out, but then the coach decides to bring
Chilliboy on? WTF?

- We concede 4 tries in 30 minutes against Australia, which should have set alarm bells off, triggering a VERY STRICT attention to defensive practice before the next test. What happens? We concede 4 tries in 20 minutes a week later!!!!

- Gio Aplon and Juan de Jongh have blinders against New Zealand, then both get dropped for the Australia tests?

-Clearly, we suffered BIG TIME at the breakdown against New Zealand, pointing out that we desperately need a fetcher to counter Pocock a week later. What happens? Our fetcher gets dropped from the entire 22 and we have 2 number 8's in the back-row. WTFFFFFFFFFFF

- Habana costs us 17 points against Australia, as well as constantly going for intercepts, causing a New Zealand try as well. Does Aplon play ahead? No. Then Habana proceeds to gift Australia another 14 points in the final test. ONLY THEN DOES THE COACH SUBSTITUTE HIM.

I guess you are right. It's not poor coaching at all is it?

Well, I don't see Jake returning before the RWC.
PdV will make a big mess off it, blame it to god knows who. Please run and search for shelter water boy, as PdV is looking a for a victim.
The only positive light would be that when SA loses their first game, the players stand up and say: " Hi we're bloody SA" and start playing rugby.
Anyway, this bad management creates opportunities for other countries to take the cup home next year.

Latest posts