• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jake White and Eddie Jones in the mix

E

edinburgh_gunner

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Scotland consider White and Jones
_45790159_whitejones226i.jpg
White and Jones worked together as South Africa won the World Cup Eddie Jones and Jake White, who both led teams to World Cup finals, have joined Andy Robinson on the shortlist to be Scotland's new head coach.

Former England coach Robinson, whose Edinburgh side clinched second place in the Magners League on Sunday, has long been installed as favourite.

But he now faces stiff competition on the Scottish Rugby Union shortlist.

White led South Africa to victory in the 2007 World Cup final, while Jones' Australia side were 2003 runners-up.

The SRU has not set a firm date for an appointment, but interviews are expected to be held over the next few weeks, with a decision likely in early June.

Jones led his native Australia to the 2003 final, where they lost to England, before going on to coach Queensland Reds.

He was a technical advisor to White as the South African led his country to victory in the World Cup final at England's expense in 2007.

Jones followed White to Saracens and is presently head coach, but the Australian is to be replaced with South African Brendan Venter next season.

Robinson was forwards coach with the England side that defeated Jones' Australia in the 2003 final.

But he had a disappointing two-year spell in charge of England after taking over from Clive Woodward.

Since 2007, he has been in charge of Edinburgh and this season they became the first Scottish side to finish as high as second in the Magners League.

He was assistant, along with Glasgow's Sean Lineen, to former Scotland coach Frank Hadden and will be in charge of Scotland A for the forthcoming IRB Nations Cup in Romania.[/b]
(BBC Sport)

Well, I'm certainly very pleased by the calibare of coaches we seem to be attracting for the role now. Robinson,White and Jones are all top class candidates. Just depends on whether or not the SRU are prepared to put their hands in their pockets for a quality coach. I'd take any three, but I'd prefer it to be Jake White leaving Andy Robinson free to finish the job he started at Edinburgh (hopefully!). HEre's hoping that the SRU finally make a positive step towards securing Scotland's rugby future!

Eddie Jones is coaching in Japan. He even came to watch one of our amateur games last week.

Jake White would really be a massive boost to Scottish Rugby, but then again so would Robinson. If they do end up getting Jake White, they could always try having White as head coach, with Robinson to assist him, but he still stays at Edinburgh. A bit like what Wales are doing with Gatland and Edwards.
Can't see that happening though, the SRU aren't exactly famous for picking the best option...

Jake White is ideal, he has turned the Springboks round in a matter of months before, im not expecting exactly the same with Scotland but atleast he would show bias to neither pro team and thus pick the right team most of the time. Also he could teach the guys on how to use turnover ball properly and to score tries through forced errors, a trademark of his time with the Springboks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ May 18 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jake White is ideal, he has turned the Springboks round in a matter of months before, im not expecting exactly the same with Scotland but atleast he would show bias to neither pro team and thus pick the right team most of the time. Also he could teach the guys on how to use turnover ball properly and to score tries through forced errors, a trademark of his time with the Springboks.[/b]

I agree about the Pro-team bias. Edinburgh is obviously the better "team" but they dont have players who can change games in the blink of an eye.

This is encouraging news indeed, can we trust the SRU to make the right choice???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexmac @ May 18 2009, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ May 18 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jake White is ideal, he has turned the Springboks round in a matter of months before, im not expecting exactly the same with Scotland but atleast he would show bias to neither pro team and thus pick the right team most of the time. Also he could teach the guys on how to use turnover ball properly and to score tries through forced errors, a trademark of his time with the Springboks.[/b]

I agree about the Pro-team bias. Edinburgh is obviously the better "team" but they dont have players who can change games in the blink of an eye.
[/b][/quote]

I wouldn't know about that, what about Mike Blair, Andy Turnbull, Simon Webster? Definatley got the stronger pack here too. Granted you might have the Evans brothers, but am I the only Scotland fan who doesn't think that they're a magic bullet? Sure, they're talented but I think that there not any more talented than any other back, it's just that they've got a lot of gas about them - which is great cause it's not something that we've got in Scotland. But more often than not, they're easily closed down. Sure, they score tries for funsies if given the space but teams are getting smart and marking up on them. I'm not slating them, and I'd have them in my starting XV any day, I'm just warning against pinning all of our hopes on them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ May 18 2009, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexmac @ May 18 2009, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ May 18 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I wouldn't know about that, what about Mike Blair, Andy Turnbull, Simon Webster? Definatley got the stronger pack here too. Granted you might have the Evans brothers, but am I the only Scotland fan who doesn't think that they're a magic bullet? Sure, they're talented but I think that there not any more talented than any other back, it's just that they've got a lot of gas about them - which is great cause it's not something that we've got in Scotland. But more often than not, they're easily closed down. Sure, they score tries for funsies if given the space but teams are getting smart and marking up on them. I'm not slating them, and I'd have them in my starting XV any day, I'm just warning against pinning all of our hopes on them.
[/b][/quote]
But you know what happens when teams start double marking players?
SPACE APPEARS!!!

I agree about Mike Blair (sorry i forgot) but Simon Webster just annoys me to be brutally honest.

And in regards to "pinning all our hopes on them" I think its better to have players who can be believe in to be special and have the mental strength and ability to do so. They have coped very well with the pressure of international rugby. For example when Nick de Luca, this isnt a jab at his abilities, made his debut he totally crumbled but what the Evans brothers have is that look like they have played 20-30 tests already.

I agree with some of your points but I think whichever way the players who in form should be picked whether they are Glasgow or Edinburgh. After the Glasgow vs Toulouse match the next month was the Six Nations and the Glasgow boys were truly on form but Hadden chose the wrong players and we got demolished by Wales, regardless of the score.

I never said double marking, they're good but they're not soo good they need double marked. More often than not it's very easy to defend against them provided you don't let them get on the outside - england and Ireland managed this in the six nations.

It's more than attack though. Fast exciting players are all fine and well, but their defence needs to be up to scratch and I don't see that from Max Evans - I personally think his defence is a little shakey. It's better than Cairns, aye, but I just think that he doesn't make big first up tackles enough.

One game doesn't mean your 'on form'. Yeah, it was a great win for you guys but bearing in mind that in December the same team were totally dismantled by Edinburgh, it hardly makes you worhty of having all of your players int he national team. The majority of the better players are at Edinburgh, and I know that might sound a bit bias, but I don't think you'll find too many people who will disagree with you.

I do sympathise with Ally Kellock though, what does that man have to do to get into the national team? I'd say J Hamilton and Hines should start in the second row for Scotland, but Ally Kellock should be on the bench. When we had a second row crisis, Haddock in his infitie wisdom, decided not to pick Kellock - totally bizarre. I'd also take Fergus Thomson on the bench ahead of Dougie Hall who thought he was a winger in this time with Edinburgh. Certainly that's where used to dick about most of the time anyway!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ May 19 2009, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I never said double marking, they're good but they're not soo good they need double marked. More often than not it's very easy to defend against them provided you don't let them get on the outside - england and Ireland managed this in the six nations.

It's more than attack though. Fast exciting players are all fine and well, but their defence needs to be up to scratch and I don't see that from Max Evans - I personally think his defence is a little shakey. It's better than Cairns, aye, but I just think that he doesn't make big first up tackles enough.

One game doesn't mean your 'on form'. Yeah, it was a great win for you guys but bearing in mind that in December the same team were totally dismantled by Edinburgh, it hardly makes you worhty of having all of your players int he national team. The majority of the better players are at Edinburgh, and I know that might sound a bit bias, but I don't think you'll find too many people who will disagree with you.

I do sympathise with Ally Kellock though, what does that man have to do to get into the national team? I'd say J Hamilton and Hines should start in the second row for Scotland, but Ally Kellock should be on the bench. When we had a second row crisis, Haddock in his infitie wisdom, decided not to pick Kellock - totally bizarre. I'd also take Fergus Thomson on the bench ahead of Dougie Hall who thought he was a winger in this time with Edinburgh. Certainly that's where used to dick about most of the time anyway![/b]
Fair enough about the double marking but still they do create space for others. And, I agree Edinburgh are a great team and I wish to congratulate you on your success this season.

Sometimes I feel at Glasgow its the Evans brothers versus the other team. I hope the signings of Cusiter and Dewey help both Glasgow and Scottish Rugby. I hope Dewey adds a touch of class where Graeme Morrison doesn't

And im not say we should have all our players in the Scotland team only the players have earned it and deserve their place in the team. We are looking for tries so why don't we put in one of the Magners League top try scorers. Do you get my point on that? We need all the tries we can get.

I was embarassed by the way Glasgow lost at Murrayfield, a few bad decisions by the referee, but taking nothing away you won convincingly. Dont forget the next week we won! :p

And regarding Ally Kellock, he has had a good season and I agree he should at least be on the bench. He had a good game against Italy where he and Jim Hamilton dominated the lineout. And I like Fergus Thomson a lot. I don't think he gets enough gametime ahead of Dougie Hall.

And thanks for the rep :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexmac @ May 19 2009, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I hope Dewey adds a touch of class where Graeme Morrison doesn't[/b]

They're the same player really, Dewey is maybe a little bit quicker and passes more often, but saying he passes more than Morrison is false praise really. Another crash ball twelve is not what Glasgow or Scotland need.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ May 19 2009, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexmac @ May 19 2009, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope Dewey adds a touch of class where Graeme Morrison doesn't[/b]

They're the same player really, Dewey is maybe a little bit quicker and passes more often, but saying he passes more than Morrison is false praise really. Another crash ball twelve is not what Glasgow or Scotland need.
[/b][/quote]
I'd rather have him than Morrison tbh...but saying that Ruaridh Jackson plays really well at twelve. He's less bish bosh and more intelligent. However, the problem lies that if he stays at 12 we wont have a good fly half and I think we really need that. Another Gregor Townsend type player who can run and take risks.

Thats what we have lacked. Someone who can unlock the defence and get the backline into play because if you look at the Scotland backs the aren't half bad except Morrison.

Am I right in thinking Glasgow have three crash ball inside centres? (Henderson/Dewey/Morrison)

I've heard that there is a 12 in Scotland who does this thing called passing, but apparently he played poorly a couple of times for Scotland a year ago so could NEVER EVER be considered.

Can't remember the ******** name though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ May 19 2009, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Am I right in thinking Glasgow have three crash ball inside centres? (Henderson/Dewey/Morrison)

I've heard that there is a 12 in Scotland who does this thing called passing, but apparently he played poorly a couple of times for Scotland a year ago so could NEVER EVER be considered.

Can't remember the ******** name though.[/b]
I remember he dropped the ball everytime he got it though...:p

And Hendersons gone to Montauban

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexmac @ May 19 2009, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ May 19 2009, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Thats the lad!

Henderson leaving means the arrival of Dewey makes more sense now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ May 19 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexmac @ May 19 2009, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ May 19 2009, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Thats the lad!

Henderson leaving means the arrival of Dewey makes more sense now.
[/b][/quote]
I never liked Henderson...always a bit static...

And I would like to like de Luca but for me he doesnt offer anything more that Morrison...

De Luca is the long term option, he just needs to stop crapping himself at international level.

Glasgow are shooting themselves in the foot, there's no point in having players like Max Evans if they never get the ball casue Graeme 'Crash Ball' Morrison goes flying in!

Latest posts