Jake White wants to coach the Springboks after RWC 2011

Sker

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Cheetahs
Read it in today's Rapport, it's in Afrikaans though so if anyone can find the English article...?

If thats true good news for them would be better if he could coah them now.

Wow, brilliant news for South Africa. I mean seriously, that's the best South Africa could ever hope for. If PdV doesn't win the RWC, I think Jake White stands a good chance of coaching, providing the SARU doesn't act like an idiot (not always a given).

rep's aside, Jake White should get a rep if he's on this forum!!!

I would really like to see him coach the Boks again, at least then I can actually enjoy the thrill of SA almost winning or winning against the All Blacks...

Was hoping that JW would coach Wales after the RWC ... but going back to SA to bring the next generation on would be an awesome one.

Ian McGeechan coached Scotland twice, with Northampton in between the two stints

Great news, but pity the agony of SA rugby will continue until next year.

What's Jake White doing these days? Is he still coaching/on the backroom staff of any Super14/Currie team? Or just taken a few years off from rugby?

Pity that SARU will never let JW coach again, we all know this...

Hopefully they get Coetzee (Stormer's coach) for the job though, I don't see them hiring (for ....'s sake don't call me racist, it's reality) a white coach.

EDIT: Olyy he is coaching a few uni teams and doing advisory work for a few overseas clubs (I think it was Toulon and Saracens)

Jake seems to have altered his story about his 'sacking/re-applying' since last year. Maybe an attempt to butter up SARU.
I all events I think that if/should the Boks don't win next year, Allistair Coetzee would be the best bet of becoming coach. Im sure SARU will want to continue with a black/coloured coach, otherwise this excercise with PdV would be pointless

If thats true good news for them would be better if he could coah them now.

Jake wouldn't touch that with a barge pole!

PDV has spent the last two years setting the Boks up to fail. Why would anyone want to jump onto the bridge of a sinking ship.

World Cup-winning South African coach Jake White wants to coach the Springboks again.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=0 width=117 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD height=59 vAlign=top width=117></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>White told Sport24 in South Africa at the weekend that he will apply for the job again next year.

Under-fire incumbent coach Peter de Villiers is contracted until after next year's Rugby World Cup but White said he will apply for the job again, and he will have former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones on board with him as well.

White has a job coaching a house team at Stellenbosch University and also coaches at several top rugby schools.

That was keeping him in touch with the young talent in South Africa's rugby system.

"I am feeling refreshed and have decided that I want to coach the national team again. I assume they will be going through the same tender procedure as last time to appoint the next coach," the 2007 World Cup-winning coach said.

White added that he had never plied his trade offshore but if he was unwanted by South Africa he would consider an overseas position.

White does have connections with Saracens (England), Toulon (France) and Suntory Sungoliath (Japan) and is also on the International Rugby Board's committee.

Should he regain the South African job he would be keen to have Jones, Gert Smal (Ireland) and Allister Coetzee (Stormers-Western Province) back in his management team.

The coaching position was advertised during the Springboks' campaign and White didn't apply due to tiredness and a feeling that the South African Rugby Union didn't want him to stay on.

"But I can't help wondering where the team would be today if I had the same opportunity as Graham Henry to stay on," he said.

Having seen the problems the Springboks have had in their first three games of the Investec Tri Nations, White says the side needs to come up with some new ideas.

"The team that gets the defence right will win the tournament. New Zealand have improved their defence, while ours has gone backwards. We won't make it if we don't come up with some new ideas," he warned.
http://www.allblacks.com/news/13716/Jake-White-wants-job-back
English article

Latest posts