• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jake White wants to coach the Springboks after RWC 2011

Jake wouldn't touch that with a barge pole!

PDV has spent the last two years setting the Boks up to fail. Why would anyone want to jump onto the bridge of a sinking ship.

He did exactly that in 2004. Rudolf Streulie killed everything we stand for, Jake took over, and boom. I wish he would step in now. PDV has proved me right, week in and week out. Of course, there is the matter of players like John Smit, Victor Matfield and Bryan Habana that need to GTFO of the Springbok team, but obviously PDV knows better than the rest of the world, seeing as he is a God given talent and all.

He did exactly that in 2004. Rudolf Streulie killed everything we stand for, Jake took over, and boom. I wish he would step in now. PDV has proved me right, week in and week out. Of course, there is the matter of players like John Smit, Victor Matfield and Bryan Habana that need to GTFO of the Springbok team, but obviously PDV knows better than the rest of the world, seeing as he is a God given talent and all.

Ahh, don't get me wrong. Jake White is a very good coach, and he will help SA out a lot, but I think he is perhaps a little romanticized. He only won one Tri Nations and had a 67% success rate (same as PdV). Not bad by any means, and I realize you have to take into account the state of SA rugby before he was coach, and then the huge improvment of it after the RWC, but I don't think he would be as glorified as SA's savior, if PdV was a little bit more compitant.

Other than Smit (who I think should play from the bench, as he still offers a hell of a lot of experience), I think it would be a huge mistake to chuck Habana and Matfield out of the starting lineup, not to mention the team. I'd be happy for both those players to feature in both the All Blacks and Australian starting lineup. Victor Matfield isn't having a great season, but you drop such an experienced and respected player from your starting squad, especially when things aren't going your way, the whole teams moral drops. Habana's problem isn't even form. He's playing fine. Just like Rokocoko has had in the last few years though, he's just not getting given the oppertunities from both his own team (the running game the Boks implimented looked unorganised and desperate), and the teams he's been playing ( especially in the All Blacks game, he was covered the entire game by Cory Jane, never given any space. When players like Rokocoko and Habana don't have space, they are ineffective (by no real fault of their own.

I understand why people like to drop experienced players, it gives talented new comers the chance to shine, while reminding the older players their spots are theirs only while they are performing, and it keeps them honest. However, when over 200 test caps disapear between 3 players you suddenly get panic and even less leadership. Sometimes dealing with a player whos off form, by showing loyalty, can get the best reward.

Last edited:
Other than Smit (who I think should play from the bench, as he still offers a hell of a lot of experience), I think it would be a huge mistake to chuck Habana and Matfield out of the starting lineup, not to mention the team. I'd be happy for both those players to feature in both the All Blacks and Australian starting lineup. Victor Matfield isn't having a great season, but you drop such an experienced and respected player from your starting squad, especially when things aren't going your way, the whole teams moral drops. Habana's problem isn't even form. He's playing fine. Just like Rokocoko has had in the last few years though, he's just not getting given the oppertunities from both his own team (the running game the Boks implimented looked unorganised and desperate), and the teams he's been playing ( especially in the All Blacks game, he was covered the entire game by Cory Jane, never given any space. When players like Rokocoko and Habana don't have space, they are ineffective (by no real fault of their own.

I understand why people like to drop experienced players, it gives talented new comers the chance to shine, while reminding the older players their spots are theirs only while they are performing, and it keeps them honest. However, when over 200 test caps disapear between 3 players you suddenly get panic and even less leadership. Sometimes dealing with a player whos off form, by showing loyalty, can get the best reward.

In normal circumstances, i would agree with you. However, these are not normal circumstances. Leadership is one thing, but player ability, is another. What do you think is more important? A leader, who is keeping everyone calm, but at the same time, loafing around the field getting nothing right, or someone who is actually setting an example by showing just how high the bar is that they have set? Guys look up to the experienced players as a benchmark, but, if these players are doing nothing, then what is the rest of the team supposed to do? I'm not saying get rid of them forever. I'm saying, take them out, and give them a rest, as well as a chance to get back into their game in the Currie Cup, at their own pace. Habana has been rubbish. Absolutely rubbish, doing nothing but look for intercepts, jogging after kicks, and giving away penalties. He needs to have a good look at himself, and figure out what's wrong. What i am saying, is let him do that for his Currie Cup team, NOT in the Springbok team. The same goes for John Smit and Victor Matfield.

It doesn't take a genius to see that there is something wrong in our team. Everyone was fine, with all the laws, as well as their form. Now, look at these rather interesting facts. The Bulls, scored more points than any other team in the Super 14, which meant that they had the best attacking statistic, as well as meter gains in the competition. Can anyone guess which team was the best defensive team in the tournament? That's right. The Stormers. Now, bring those two together, and you have a team who's defense is absolutely shocking, and who scored 4 tries in 3 games? How's that for Irony eh? I stand by my statements regarding the coaching staff, as well as mental states.

Habana is absolutely shocking against Australia, but the coach refuses to bring on Francois Hougaard. Eventually, he does put him on, but replaces Ruan Pienaar. Next, we have a sniff of perhaps coming back, and maybe losing more respectably, but, what does the coach do? He replaces our prime goal kicker. Very intelligent. WTF difference does it make replacing fat forwards thinking it's going to have any impact on the result? PDV has no clue what a bench is even for. He has proved this time and time again, starting with almost costing us a Lions tour last year thanks to stupid decisions at the wrong time.

Lastly, one has to look no further than what happened last year, regarding PDV's refusal to replace a certain veteran player. Schalk Burger was in the side after injuries, and a poor season, while the rest of the country screamed for the inclusion of Heinrich Brussouw. Everybody knows what happened next don't they? Bakkies Botha is another good example. Many South Africans, including myself, called for Botha to not be in the squad, rather having Andries Bekker partnering Victor Matfield. Again, the 'experienced enforcer' was frustrated, and ultimately tarnished an entire teams reputation. Should i mention Jean de Villiers? I don't think i need to. Pierre Spies is heavily off form, whilst Ryan Kankowski is really showing that he wants to play. What happens? He gets put out of position, and even though he played well against Aus, before he was inexplicably substituted, he is now a scapegoat for what went wrong.

We need these players to show their worth. Not to plod along with whatever issues they have. We need something injected into this team. I think that new players could only benefit us, whilst our veterans concentrate on getting their mojo back.

This coach, however, is nowhere. He doesn't have a clue how to manage a team, or how to manage individuals. He needs to go.

The real problem with Smit which no one has really eluded to is the fact that he is slightly overweight. Why? When he moved to play tighthead he was regarded as being to small and needed to bulk up. He did so, but when he was moved back again to play hooker he did not lose the weight. In the games I've watched recently of him this has played an effect on his performances. He is a good player and I don't think it would make a smart move to get rid of him entirely from the set up.

The real problem with Smit which no one has really eluded to is the fact that he is slightly overweight. Why? When he moved to play tighthead he was regarded as being to small and needed to bulk up. He did so, but when he was moved back again to play hooker he did not lose the weight. In the games I've watched recently of him this has played an effect on his performances. He is a good player and I don't think it would make a smart move to get rid of him entirely from the set up.

Read my post above, and you will understand what i am trying to explain. Regarding his weight, i don't know. Piri Weepu is fat but he still plays well? :/

Read my post above, and you will understand what i am trying to explain. Regarding his weight, i don't know. Piri Weepu is fat but he still plays well? :/

Ye I read that .... and ....

The bulk Smit added was needed to play tight head at the time. Since he has moved back to play hooker he is a little over weight for it and has not looked as a good as player since. As you suggested send them back to play club rugby and give them a break is the best bet. I know Weepu is a bit large and again he need to shed a few pounds but Im sure that will happen soon.

Whats with the hating on Habana?. I feel for the Bok's backs, that game plan of theirs doesn't suit attacking at all really. You can see the Boks backs have always been good at the ole intercept, it's the only way they get the dam ball. Habana would strive in the NZ environment.

Last edited:
Sigh. How is it that nobody else is seeing the situation the same way as me? Whatever, it's no use. Anyways, i will see you guys when our home games start. I'm over rugby for a while.

Bring back jake white "the great white" before the rwc 2011.

The "Great White" wave PdV was riding has crashed!

If South Africa want to WIN or be COMPETITIVE in the 2011 Rugby World Cup in New Zealand next year they need to bring back Jake White.

There are rumours of his intention to return to coaching after the World Cup but that is not good enough. SARU need to act now!

Why could this not have been in the other thread about Jake White's intentions? Stop flooding the boards.

I heard he was next in line to be the Scotland manager...

This has already been talked about, so I think merging the thread is a good idea.

Sigh. How is it that nobody else is seeing the situation the same way as me? Whatever, it's no use. Anyways, i will see you guys when our home games start. I'm over rugby for a while.

Maybe you've just summed it up to well to comment further on, barring comments that discredit your post?

I fully agree with your idea on giving the off form Boks CC game time. It would allow for younger players to be blooded ahead of the WC, especially as only a miraculous miracle can help the Boks win the Tri-nations.
Maybe Smit has yet to shed the pounds as both the Sharks and Springboks are anticipating Bismarks return, and would still like to use him as prop?

btw, which CC team do you support?

I don't support any team. I don't really like the Currie Cup, as i much prefer it when other countries are involved. In the Super 14, i support all of our teams, and always shout loudest for whichever of our teams are doing the best, as i support 'South Africa' in the Super 14 rather than an individual team.

I don't support any team. I don't really like the Currie Cup, as i much prefer it when other countries are involved. In the Super 14, i support all of our teams, and always shout loudest for whichever of our teams are doing the best, as i support 'South Africa' in the Super 14 rather than an individual team.

Gloryhunter ;)

HAHA. Yeah that has been mentioned a couple of times. I don't mean that i ONLY shout for the team doing well, i mean a shout for all of our teams playing international opposition. My least favorite team has to be the Cheetahs, whilst if i must pick a favorite then it's either The Bulls or The Sharks. I also like the Stormers, and even though they are so kak i will also support the Lions.

@ Jer1cho: If you have to pick a favorite, you cannot name 2!!! It's either Sharks or Bulls ;)

Latest posts