• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jake White wants to coach the Springboks after RWC 2011

All my favorite players are in those two teams. Spies, Morne Steyn, Hougaard, du Preez and Dewaldt Potgieter are big favorites of mine. In the Sharks i love Kanko, Pienaar, JP Petersen, Lambie and young Craig Burden. Also a big fan of Jean Deysel. It's impossible to choose though. lol

I have to say I am surprised you are a fan of Burden. I mentioned him a couple of times as a future Springbok but only get negative responses. Kanko, Lambie and Daniel are also big future-Springboks in my opinion.

Although I don't like the Bulls (Sharks-rivals of course) I do have to admit I like to see du Preez and Steyn play. Van den Heever is also a new star on the horizon. While we are discussing Jake White after 2011 as the Springbok coach, I was wondering... Which players would you consider to make the squad under Jake White?

I have to say I am surprised you are a fan of Burden. I mentioned him a couple of times as a future Springbok but only get negative responses. Kanko, Lambie and Daniel are also big future-Springboks in my opinion.

Although I don't like the Bulls (Sharks-rivals of course) I do have to admit I like to see du Preez and Steyn play. Van den Heever is also a new star on the horizon. While we are discussing Jake White after 2011 as the Springbok coach, I was wondering... Which players would you consider to make the squad under Jake White?

Well there is only one generator of these 'negative' posts ;)

I think Jake would have selected the obvious omissions, that was pretty much his style, selecting on form, and recognized, players.

So your van de Heevers, your Bothas, Duvenange/other would have been selected as opposed to Januarie and Ralepelle.

The squad pretty much picks itself, which is all that a coach could ask for...

That's not really my point LH. I want to know which players will be called up after 2011. In other words, which players will be called up by White once he is the coach again?

That's hard to say, depends on injuries, overseas contracts etc...

That's not really my point LH. I want to know which players will be called up after 2011. In other words, which players will be called up by White once he is the coach again?

Ah, that 'once he is coach' is a big once.
Never the less. I think there are some ready made candidates

There are no definite props, but the likes of Coenie Oozthesiun (sp.) and Wicaaus Blaauw seem to have great futures ahead.
With hooker, Bismark will be 27 or so, and apart from him there is the Cheetahs hooker, Strauss, Tiaan Liebenburg, and as you have stated, Burden would be a good shout, provided he improves his hooking and line-outs, especially with the pace at which the game is played, his speed would be very helpful.
With locks, look no further than Bekker and Flip van de Merwe. With the likes of Hargreaves and Adriaan Fondse looking good prospects.
In terms of loosies, well, flip a coin, no more needs to be said of SAs depth in flank/eight. Burger and Smith could last until the next WC
Scrum half, du Preez is going to Japan after the WC, so he is out of the equation. I think White would like the look of Duvenange and Vermaak, but should Hougaard remain, and play nine for the Bulls, I think the combination would be well drilled, well in time for international fixtures.
Fly-half. Morne is only 25 +-, so no ideal player to be picked ahead of him.
Wings, Habana will probably be past it, whilst JP is still fairly young. He might go for another quick player to replace him, like van de Heever or Mvovo, haven'y really seen enough of Mapoe to comment.
For fullback, well Jake likes his fullback to be experienced, maybe he might make an exception for Steyn (whom has actually been playing 12 for Metro).

Otherwise, your guess is as good as mine. But I still think he tends to select the obvious choices, and it payed off for him...

Personally I don't think Jake will make it. And with Aliistair Coetzee probably having the inside track i have to admit I'm not too fussed. Coetzee is a great coach in that he makes selections based on form and is not scared to back a youngster but wouldn't field an entire inexperienced side. He can motivate his team and has an astute rugby head. Also a very respectable and articulate guy without a huge ego. Would a huge loss to WP and the Stormers but I would like to see him national coach. Interesting to consider what a post RWC Bok team would like. My picks for a likely/prefered 22 would probably read:

Wian du Preez
Bismarck du Plessis
WP Nel
Flip v/d Merwe
Andries Bekker
Heinrich Brussouw
Schalk Burger to be my captain
Duane Vermeulen
Francois Hougaard
Morne Steyn
Lionel Mapoe
Francois Steyn
Jacque Fourie
Gerhard v/d Heever
Patrick Lambie

Coenie Oosthuizen / Blaauw
Tiaan Liebenberg / Ralepelle
Steven Sykes / Fondse
Francois Louw / Deysel / Potgieter / Kankowski
Conrad Hoffmann / Sarel Pretorius / Duvenhage / Vermaak
Ruan Pienaar / Johan Goosen
Juan de Jongh / Mapoe

Besides winning the WC with a tad bit of luck JW never achieved much as a Bok coach , people forget we lost 49-0 with him at the helm , he is not the messiah of SA rugby , he is not much better than PDV. I would say JW is a very good manager of his players who can bring out the best of some. He is a good planner as well and would not be lost in the bok setup but not as a head coach , very similar to PDV , he also while is a very astute coach technically is stubborn and says the most outrageous things , he really is a tabloids gold mine.

Personally I would make Allistair or Heneke Meyer coach and include Gert Small as a forwards coach along with Jake. The 4 of them would make a formidable team but Allistair or Meyer would be my head coach. If Alistair is the coach then Meyer as forwards coach and Gert Smal falls away , as a matter of fact maybe Jake should be the director of coaching , Alistair as a head coach , Meyer as a forward coach and one of Pieter Roussouw or Rob Flack in charge of the backline , they both showed to have the aptitude for coaching albeit in a very short time.

You can say what you want about Jake White but he manages to get the most out of his players. That's the type of coach SA needs. Not a coach to make players better, they are already World Class! We need a coach that brings peace and tranquility within the squad. Jake White can do that.

Personally I don't think Jake will make it. And with Aliistair Coetzee probably having the inside track i have to admit I'm not too fussed. Coetzee is a great coach in that he makes selections based on form and is not scared to back a youngster but wouldn't field an entire inexperienced side. He can motivate his team and has an astute rugby head. Also a very respectable and articulate guy without a huge ego. Would a huge loss to WP and the Stormers but I would like to see him national coach. Interesting to consider what a post RWC Bok team would like. My picks for a likely/prefered 22 would probably read:

Wian du Preez
Bismarck du Plessis
WP Nel
Flip v/d Merwe
Andries Bekker
Heinrich Brussouw
Schalk Burger to be my captain
Duane Vermeulen
Francois Hougaard
Morne Steyn
Lionel Mapoe
Francois Steyn
Jacque Fourie
Gerhard v/d Heever
Patrick Lambie

Coenie Oosthuizen / Blaauw
Tiaan Liebenberg / Ralepelle
Steven Sykes / Fondse
Francois Louw / Deysel / Potgieter / Kankowski
Conrad Hoffmann / Sarel Pretorius / Duvenhage / Vermaak
Ruan Pienaar / Johan Goosen
Juan de Jongh / Mapoe

I would not have burger as my captain , after the WC we need someone who will most likely be our cappie for the next WC. Bekker , Chillie Boy , Francois Lpuw evens and dare I even think Luke Watson.

If Burger lead by example, there wouldn't be many players who could still see.

If Burger lead by example, there wouldn't be many players who could still see.

LOL , Schalk Burger is no saint I agree but what else would you do ? Howcome no-one mentions Pockoks forearm in burgers face ? He basically elbowed him.

LOL , Schalk Burger is no saint I agree but what else would you do ? Howcome no-one mentions Pockoks forearm in burgers face ? He basically elbowed him.

An elbow is less serious than a grab for someone's eyes.

I think that was what provoked Schalk to gouge/rake Pococks eyes. Pocock blew Schalk over and at the same time Schalk was holding on to Pocock, when Burger hit the deck Pocock (due to momentum and circumstance) accidently dropped his forearm on Schalks throat and thats when Schalk turned green and became Schalk hulk and...yeah.

Not stick my fingers in someones eyes for a start

Not stick my fingers in someones eyes for a start

Look due to History its difficult to counter that he was not aiming for the eyes but I seriously doubt he was intentionally malicious , truth be told I am totally Bias re Schalk Burger as he is my hero so I concede I am fighting a losing battle but he has shown in the S14 that he has settled down , besides, the Lions incident was his first deliberate foul, and only one so far actually.

He is a tough customer but easily frustrated and I suppose most teams would be silly not to take advantage of that.

PS - a Elbow to the throat can actually be 10 X worst than a smack in the face/eyes. Just try it at home and tell me what was worse. :D

Look due to History its difficult to counter that he was not aiming for the eyes but I seriously doubt he was intentionally malicious , truth be told I am totally Bias re Schalk Burger as he is my hero so I concede I am fighting a losing battle but he has shown in the S14 that he has settled down , besides, the Lions incident was his first deliberate foul, and only one so far actually.

He is a tough customer but easily frustrated and I suppose most teams would be silly not to take advantage of that.

PS - a Elbow to the throat can actually be 10 X worst than a smack in the face/eyes. Just try it at home and tell me what was worse. :D

He is a bad boy ... in 2008 he was also banned for abusing officials!

But a big willy. Apparently he can fill a pint glass.
On a similar note, Bryan Habana is also favourably endowed. My mate reliably informs me, after gawping at him from the adjacent cubicle in the loos of Tiger Tiger in Cardiff. :)

Latest posts