James Hook=Massively Overrated

Feicarsinn

Super Αdmin
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Now this is just my opinion, but James Hook seems to have a massive reputation despite having done little in the 10 shirt. Thoughts?

I don't think he is a 10, but a better mid-field player.

In that aspect he is over-rated

Last edited:
As a utility back who can play 10,we've all seen worse.

I don't think he is a very good flyhalf either. I think he's a pretty good alround player but due to the welsh management he hasen't yet flourished.

Yes i'd agree to some extent that he is over rated. I remember being a season ticket holder at Neath back when he first "popped up". His promice was something spectacular, but as usual with talented welsh players, their own versatility is their own undoing, combined with extremely poor man management. The O's fluffed it with him, and so have Wales. They've fluffed about with his playing position, and he hasn't been able to "settle" in to one position.

If Wales are to play him at 10, then we need to have a scrum half that can pass so Hook is given a few more milliseconds to react to whats in front of him. The welsh public have expected miracles from Hook, when the real downfall (when it comes to the whole backline in general) is the fact that we've had poor distribution from rucks/mauls etc. You give Dan Carter **** ball, he wont produce miracles. Saying that, Hook as yet has not fulfilled the stupidly high billing he's been given. Time will tell i guess

As a utility back who can play 10,we've all seen worse.

True, but it seems that whenever a debate over 'teh bestest outhalf' crops up, as it does quite regularly, Hook always seems to get a mention in some way, shape or form. He's not anywheres near that calibre.

I agree

A couple of years ago (2008?) he was probably my favourite Welsh player - but now I'm not so sure
He is talked up a lot as he has been moved around a lot - People say "Oh, if he had been given the 10 shirt full time he'd be the best going" - that may be, but he wasn't, so he isn't

Good player to have around, but I feel that being shifted around a lot has caused him to be a jack of several (not all) trades, master of none

His insistence on wanting to play outhalf always came across a bit childish, as he was performing well at centre after a poor spell in the 10 jersey for Ospreys. Now, with Perpignan at least, he has (I assume) got his wish.

I think the-poster-formerly-known-as-Bullitt (?) hits it on the head, short 'n' sweet.

He's young enough to still show plenty in some Welsh jersey.

Currently he best serves Wales at 12.

Maybe his spell in France will be able to make him a better 10 as what happened with Stephen Jones and Clermont.

ummmm....No he isnt overated. He is a very gifted and talanted player in my opinion but not at 10. I think he better suits either centre position and always worry when he plays there against England.

Good 13 average 10.

Hate that people keep mentioning him in the next great out-half thread.

Not an outstanding outside half, but not as bad as many claim.
I think the move to France will help him as it did to Wellington and be the first choice Welsh 10 next year.

He no doubt has talent, and ran the backline very well in 2008.

The problem with Hook is he has not really had an extended run, certainly in a Welsh Shirt, at the number 10. Ousting Jones from that jersy is nigh on impossible and save is showing against the Aussies a few years back he has not shown his huge potential at 10. The popular way to see is if you want to your 10 to run the game you pick Jones as Hook can't seem to and if you want to run it about you pick the other way. In the last few years you win the game first then you try to fling it so the need for flair straight from minute one doesn't really exist anymore.

His best showings recently have been at 12, there he can showcase his agility and silky skills whilst not having the pressure of being the playmaker that he be seen as as a 10. As said before I think we all hope that playing in the quicker, more flamboyant French league will help him grow as a player. In fact same with Byrne and Phillips, all three have faltered since the Lions in 09.

He's a balanced 10 which is always good for a team - he's a great runner but his kicking from hand and passing are up there. To be honest I really rate him, although he hasn't done anything to prove that recently so fair play, I'd agree that right now he is overrated. Hope he matures a bit in France and gets the chances he deserves for Wales

Hook has the talent, thats why people talk him up. The change of career will do him good.

He is very skillful but he hasn't connected very well the players outside him very well this year. Wales' game plan doesn't suit him either.

hopefully playing in france will give him more game time at ten and maybe return to Wales in the future a more experienced player.

Latest posts