• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Japan and Fiji to join Six Nations sides in tournament

move to a 7 nations international event
Bloody hope not.

I can't see this happening anyway - Pro 14's SA sides can't travel up here for games, no way the international side does.

Unless they do an RSA-NH side, just pick from South Africans playing in Europe

Bloody hope not.

I can't see this happening anyway - Pro 14's SA sides can't travel up here for games, no way the international side does.

Unless they do an RSA-NH side, just pick from South Africans playing in Europe

I assume they would travel as one bio bubble. They could do it so long as they Quarantine for 2 weeks

Well, if anything is to go by, our national state of disaster is set to be over by 15 September 2020 (Unless the President extends it again), which I doubt, as our numbers are dropping every week. Which would mean we will be able to travel abroad, depending on the other country and whether their borders are open for international travel.

Our local teams will start this week with contact training sessions, which will mean they can return to playing in the next 3 to 4 weeks, so a local tournament is set to start very soon.

I think SA will be hungry to have some international matches under their belt by the end of the year, and against NH opposition, would be great in preparation for the B&I Lions tour next year.

And I think that's why the NH teams, would like to get the Saffa's in their scheduling.

Well, if anything is to go by, our national state of disaster is set to be over by 15 September 2020 (Unless the President extends it again), which I doubt, as our numbers are dropping every week. Which would mean we will be able to travel abroad, depending on the other country and whether their borders are open for international travel.

Our local teams will start this week with contact training sessions, which will mean they can return to playing in the next 3 to 4 weeks, so a local tournament is set to start very soon.

I think SA will be hungry to have some international matches under their belt by the end of the year, and against NH opposition, would be great in preparation for the B&I Lions tour next year.

And I think that's why the NH teams, would like to get the Saffa's in their scheduling.
And you think Rugby South Africa would prefer this to a rugby championship? It would be a big move to choose this over the other.

And you think Rugby South Africa would prefer this to a rugby championship? It would be a big move to choose this over the other.

It's not about preference, it's about availability.

And it's not just about South Africa. What about Argentina?? I have no idea what the situation is in Argentina, If they can't be part of the RC, then it's basically back to the Tri-Nations, which would most probably mean that SA will have to travel to Australasia and have the tournament there.

Plus, it seems like there are some sour grapes amongst the SANZAAR fraternity, and it seems like it's unlikely that there will be a cohesive agreement in the current situation.

It's not about preference, it's about availability.

And it's not just about South Africa. What about Argentina?? I have no idea what the situation is in Argentina, If they can't be part of the RC, then it's basically back to the Tri-Nations, which would most probably mean that SA will have to travel to Australasia and have the tournament there.

Plus, it seems like there are some sour grapes amongst the SANZAAR fraternity, and it seems like it's unlikely that there will be a cohesive agreement in the current situation.
Hmm, i can see south Africa leaving sanzaar for sure. If it happened if hope we could work out a way of having all blacks springboks matches. Maybe we go back to tours, that would be awesome.

Talks about a rugby championship were quite advanced as i understood it, but that was before nz got covid again. But yeah, the idea was the whole thing would be hosted in New zealand. I guess with the 8 nations thing south Africa could host some games, and that brings revenue.

Hmm, i can see south Africa leaving sanzaar for sure. If it happened if hope we could work out a way of having all blacks springboks matches. Maybe we go back to tours, that would be awesome.

Talks about a rugby championship were quite advanced as i understood it, but that was before nz got covid again. But yeah, the idea was the whole thing would be hosted in New zealand. I guess with the 8 nations thing south Africa could host some games, and that brings revenue.

Well based on this article, it seems like SA has one foot already out the door:

Read the first paragraph. It seems to me that we already made our mind up about Super Rugby, which is the first step to leave SANZAAR...

Last edited:
Well based on this article, it seems like SA has one foot already out the door:

Read the first paragraph. It seems to me that we already made our mind up about Super Rugby, which is the first step to leave SANZAAR...
It's probably for the best. Would be good if they can find a way to have some fixtures Or a fixture between South African and New Zealand Franchises as well though.

articles are coming out today saying a rugby championship is almost certainly not going to happen because Argentina and South Africa haven't had any rugby, and apparently sa rugby has a rule that players have to have played 4 Currie cup matches before playing for the springboks.

It's probably for the best. Would be good if they can find a way to have some fixtures Or a fixture between South African and New Zealand Franchises as well though.

articles are coming out today saying a rugby championship is almost certainly not going to happen because Argentina and South Africa haven't had any rugby, and apparently sa rugby has a rule that players have to have played 4 Currie cup matches before playing for the springboks.
South Africa only got the all clear to start contact training yesterday. And the projection is that the teams need at least 4 to 5 weeks before they can play. Which would mean the first match will only be in October for the Currie Cup.

Trying to make space for the RC in the allotted window available becomes an impossible task. That is why the 8 nations or EOYT is a much better attraction for us. And our Sports stars can travel to Europe at the moment. Look at the golfers, many Saffas are playing the European tour now, and then they come back to SA for a couple of weeks and then play another tournament. One of my friends flew back just yesterday after playing in the Belfry open.

Apparently Georgia to be confirmed in the next week or two,

Let the roundabout continue - I'm looking forward to the article in a week saying that South Africa are confirmed....oh wait it's Argentina...Canada....Harlem Globetrotters

Apparently Georgia to be confirmed in the next week or two,

Let the roundabout continue - I'm looking forward to the article in a week saying that South Africa are confirmed....oh wait it's Argentina...Canada....Harlem Globetrotters

See, this is why I hate the media. No reports about this at all in SA, and just yesterday there was an article saying that all the 6 Nations unions have thrown their support behind SA joining.

See, this is why I hate the media. No reports about this at all in SA, and just yesterday there was an article saying that all the 6 Nations unions have thrown their support behind SA joining.
And weirdly the article I saw confirming Georgia was from New Zealand

And weirdly the article I saw confirming Georgia was from New Zealand

And 3 hours later that article has surfaced on SA sites. Seems like you might be right that SA won't join up.

Which could only mean that the RC/Tri-nations is back on...

Latest posts