• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Japan formally bid to host 2015 RWC

H

Haysie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
TOKYO, Sept 30 (Reuters) - Japan has formally applied to host the 2015 Rugby World Cup, officials said on Tuesday.

The Japan Rugby Football Union (JRFU) added they had sent a letter of intent to the International Rugby Board confirming the country's bid for both the 2015 and 2019 tournaments.

By submitting a letter of intent for both World Cups, Japan can keep the option open to bid for either, or both, in their final tender to the IRB next year.

"We are bidding to host the Rugby World Cup not just for Japan but for Asia," said JRFU Chairman Nobby Mashimo. "Bringing the (tournament) to Japan and Asia will unlock the potential of rugby as a truly global sport."

The country lost out to New Zealand in the bidding for the 2011 World Cup.[/b]
Taken from Reuters.

Thank god the upped "donations" haven't forced Japan out of the race to host the tournament, it would be fantastic if they were to host such a global event so soon after the Osaka athletics campaign and the Soccer World Cup.
Maybe Prez will see some more of his beloved hovercrafts? We can only hope :D

I hope the Japanese will be a lot less naive and a lot more coy this time around. I can see them lobbying every Union rep from now until even after voting.

As for the hovercraft, oh hell yeah! Sarrie the Camel would have a whale of a time there! :D

I think it's awesome they applied for both options, it would be even better if they could do it in 2015.
Altho the only minor poit is that for fans travelling to the island, it may become very expensive, luckily I go some connections in Tokyo :D

Japan can be cheap if you want it to. You just need to know where to go and what to do is all ;)

Because the place is so well connected by train, you can base yourself at any point between Fukuoka in the West and Sapporo in the North and still be able to reach all the big games, much like how you could station yourself at any city connected to a TGV line in France.

Fair enough, but my Japanese mates born an draised in tokyo say taht japan isn't that cheap, off course due to our strong £, â'¬ we can do some profit :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Sep 30 2008, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Fair enough, but my Japanese mates born an draised in tokyo say taht japan isn't that cheap, off course due to our strong £, â'¬ we can do some profit :D[/b]

Japan is expensive, but you can limit the damage ;)

For example, train fares in Japan are pretty expensive and if say you base yourself out of Tokyo, you will be making lots of journeys to the various cities that'll be holding the group games. To limit the cost, simply outlaying £220 for a rail pass can save you a load of money and hassle.

Accommodation wise, it always pays to go with youth hostels and smaller Minishuku (their version of Bed and Breakfasts) for example. Always try the expensive business hotel last.

Finally, the likes of 7-Eleven and Lawsons provide grub at a decent price.

As for the bars, get a Lonely Planet guide and choose wisely but one nice thing about Japan is that while bars and clubs sometimes levy an entrance fee they usually include a voucher for a free drink and what not..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
As for the bars, get a Lonely Planet guide and choose wisely but one nice thing about Japan is that while bars and clubs sometimes levy an entrance fee they usually include a voucher for a free drink and what not..[/b]

.. and instead of live music in the clubs, they have dancing ninjas and pokemon doing stand-up. Bulbasaur O'Briain is a treat. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Oct 1 2008, 05:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
As for the bars, get a Lonely Planet guide and choose wisely but one nice thing about Japan is that while bars and clubs sometimes levy an entrance fee they usually include a voucher for a free drink and what not..[/b]

.. and instead of live music in the clubs, they have dancing ninjas and pokemon doing stand-up. Bulbasaur O'Briain is a treat. ;)
[/b][/quote]

Haha!
Ah the infamous Lawsons and "Sev" :D I don't know what I would have done without them! Another fantastic thing about Japan is that there are vending machines literally every 20 yards. Hot chocolates, Pocari Sweat and Coca Cola here we come! :D

japan_motivator.jpg

Japan should of gotten it this year, they have great venues, are a fairly good rugby nation and it would have introduced world level rugby to Asia.

Please, for the love of god, don't call it "RWC England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales" because that would be incredibly annoying. Let the SNP and Plaid do the real work and lock them out of the branding committees please.

I don't see it happening whatever the branding fellows come up with.

Firstly, a UK & Ireland RWC puts each country out of the running to host it again for at least two or three WCs. A few of those countries, most notably England, will want the whole pie to itself before then.

Secondly, united they may be in government but the constituent parts of the UK are enemies on the rugby field, and constitute half the decent teams in the competition. It would be harder to stir up the kind of petriotic fervour that sells mound of merchandise for an all UK & Ireland RWC. For example, when the RWC is in NZ I'll probably buy a NZ shirt. If it were hosted by NZ, AUS and SA would I buy a shirt with 'I support half the teams in the competition!' on it? No.

Thirdly, having all four home countries playing on their own fields would be taking the **** and just make it all the more embarrassing when they are roundly trounced by the SH. It would be a RWC the home nations would have to win, and wouldn't.

Fourthly, the France RWC showed that siphoning bits off to different countries diluted the fun and focus of the competition and was roundly panned.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Macsen @ Oct 1 2008, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't see it happening whatever the branding fellows come up with.

Firstly, a UK & Ireland RWC puts each country out of the running to host it again for at least two or three WCs. A few of those countries, most notably England, will want the whole pie to itself before then.

Secondly, united they may be in government but the constituent parts of the UK are enemies on the rugby field, and constitute half the decent teams in the competition. It would be harder to stir up the kind of petriotic fervour that sells mound of merchandise for an all UK & Ireland RWC. For example, when the RWC is in NZ I'll probably buy a NZ shirt. If it were hosted by NZ, AUS and SA would I buy a shirt with 'I support half the teams in the competition!' on it? No.

Thirdly, having all four home countries playing on their own fields would be taking the **** and just make it all the more embarrassing when they are roundly trounced by the SH. It would be a RWC the home nations would have to win, and wouldn't.

Fourthly, the France RWC showed that siphoning bits off to different countries diluted the fun and focus of the competition and was roundly panned.[/b]

I don't know, this isn't football where none of the FAs of the British Isles can agree on a Team GB olympic soccer team in rather disgusting fashion. If the Home Nations can agree on the Lions, they can agree on how to run a World Cup.

I mean, lets be honest here, we've had quasi UK Rugby World Cups before in 1991 and 1999 when it was "held" in "England" (and Scotland and Wales) for the fomer and when it was "held" in "Wales" (and England and Scotland) for the latter :p

To be brutally honest, by doing a joint bid, the Home Nations would be bringing what they'd be doing anyway out of the dark and smokey backrooms of IRB HQ and ending the disgusting horse trading of RWC matches between the NH Union that had won the bid and the other Home Nations!

Also, I don't think it'd stop the likes of the RFU and WRU from having a merchandising bonanza with their own jerseys ;)

A joint bid would represent the worst of the dark and smokey backrooms of the IRB HQ. Rather than expaning the game worldwide it would represnt the old boy's network taking the ball home and not letting the others play with it. "We've got all the votes and there's nothing you upstart colonies can do about it." :rolleyes:

Even if world cups have matches beyond the borders of the host nation the focus is still on that country. A RWC is more than a rugby tournament, it's a chance to revel in the culture of the host nation. The 1991 world cup was still all about England and the 1999 world cup all about Wales. A UK & Ireland world cup would have a schizophrenic personality crisis, and up a bland pool of cultural gruel.

Oh hell no, I'm not backing it, I'm Japan all the way. Just saying it can be done and probably will be to the determent of everyone involved :(

Some people are already beginning to wonder how the World Cup 2010 in South Africa will be effected by the economic climate.

So maybe Japan were not so unlucky to be rejected for the 2011 RWC after all.

I'm not so sure.

Japan is the dictionary definition of pork barrell politics. Okay, so the yanks give tax breaks to oil companies and virtually fund the defense industry over there. Japan on the other hand bankrolls everything from central government from bridges to rail lines to buildings to tunnels to savings to most parts of Japanese society. Something going wrong?! Throw cash at it! Its why Japan may have one of the largest trade surpluses in the world but also has one of the largest budget deficits in the world as well.

Japan has been in recession since 1992 with a brief look above water between 2000 and 2005 but even that wasn't enough to stop the Japanese government's obsession with lavish spending and waste.

It'd probably take a nuclear apocalypse to stop pork from being handed out and a credit crunch has only encouraged the Japanese to spend more.

If anything, the current situation now proves even more why Japan should have won the 2011 bid.

Latest posts