• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Japan Megaquake

Intercept King JDV

Bench Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
3.10 pm: A tsunami may hit New Zealand following the 8.9 magnitude quake that struck Japan, nearly 8,800 km away, authorities said.

2.55 pm: The massive earthquake that hit Japan on Friday has caused extensive damage, said Prime Minister Naoto Kan. Read the full story here

2.39 pm: The last major quake to hit Tokyo was in 1923, when the Great Kanto Earthquake claimed more than 140,000 lives, many of them in fires.

2.11 pm: There is no threat of tsunami along the Indian coast and people should not panic, says Shailesh Nayak, ministry of earth sciences secretary. Read the full story here

1.42 pm: The US Geological Survey said the quake was a magnitude 8.9, while Japan's meteorological agency measured it at 8.4.

1.28 pm: Tokyo's main airport has been closed. A large section of the ceiling at the 1-year-old airport at Ibaraki, about 80 kilometers northeast of Tokyo, fell to the floor with a powerful crash.

1.17 pm: In Tokyo, hundreds of people were evacuated from Shinjuku train station, the world's busiest, to a nearby park. Trains were halted.

1.04 pm: A tsunami warning was extended to a number of Pacific, Southeast Asian and Latin American nations, including Japan, Russia, Indonesia, New Zealand and Chile. In the Philippines, authorities said they expect a 3-foot high tsunami.

12.45 pm: In various locations along Japan's coast, TV footage showed massive damage from the tsunami, with dozens of cars, boats and even buildings being carried along by waters.

12.30 pm: Japan was struck by a magnitude 8.9 earthquake off its northeastern coast Friday, unleashing a 13-foot (4-metre) tsunami that washed away cars and tore away buildings along the coast near the epicenter.
http://www.sify.com/news/live-updates-massive-japan-earthquake-triggers-tsunami-news-international-ldloDzadefa.html

Wow shocking news!

Apparently the tsunami is higher than some islands, and will just wash right over the top of them, it's insane

Safe here but this quake scared the **** out of me...
Tokyo is one big ******* clusterfuck as ALL the trains have stopped until tomorrow...

Nasty stuff up north though...

Olyy: some Islands in the pacific don't even reach 1m height...:eek:

Safe here but this quake scared the **** out of me...
Tokyo is one big ******* clusterfuck as ALL the trains have stopped until tomorrow...

Nasty stuff up north though...

Glad to hear your ok Charles, where's the area's that are worst affected?

Up north on the pacific coast

100080_00000_0000_yhjpg-4.jpg

There'a also an Oil refinery burning in the Tokyo suburbs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats horrific news. Seismic activity has been crazy lately :(

a student in my school won a trip to japan a few weeks back they touched down on tuesday I think...Hope they are ok :/

A "Nuclear State of Emergency" has been declared at one of the power plants in Japan after the cooling generators failed - no radiation leakage detected though

My hearts go out to all the people who have lost their lives, and to those still suffering. Earthquakes have been pretty topical in New Zealand, and it's tragic to those who have died in the Christchurch earthquake, but it's scary to think this is 1,000 times that. 7th largest Earthquake ever recorded.

_51632882_japan_earthqk_pacific_ring.gif

From BBC News

Sky News report that the waves could be so high could engulf islands around.

Last edited:
This is not even the big one. I don't want to imagine what's gonna happen when this **** happens in Tokyo...

The people who died in the Tsunami didn't stand a chance.

The wave hit 10 minutes after the quake...Bless 'em...

Does anyone know to what extent this has impacted on Okinawa island in Japan? I have a mate teaching English there.

This is not even the big one. I don't want to imagine what's gonna happen when this **** happens in Tokyo...

The people who died in the Tsunami didn't stand a chance.

The wave hit 10 minutes after the quake...Bless 'em...

I'm assuming there would have been hundreds in the streets....thats horrific.
Is there any estimate on the death toll so far? although Japan is very densely populated I'm assuming it was better prepared than the people of the 2004 tsunami :/

Does anyone know to what extent this has impacted on Okinawa island in Japan? I have a mate teaching English there.

Okinawa should be alright, just a few shakes, and they've had time to prepare for a potential tsunami.

I'm assuming there would have been hundreds in the streets....thats horrific.
Is there any estimate on the death toll so far? although Japan is very densely populated I'm assuming it was better prepared than the people of the 2004 tsunami :/

The main city is separated from the sea by some farmland...The farmers have all benn wiped out though...
They've just found 300 bodies in a harbour town, and there's apparently a whole train missing, got wiped out by the wave inland.

Nasty, nasty business...

Edit: it has started to snow up north...

Last edited:
After hearing all that its difficult to understand how life is going on as normal all over the world :/

I wouldn't be surprised that the earthquake in New Zealand had an affect on the size of the one in Japan. Earthquakes tend to follow one another, especially the large ones over 6.0
Hope everyone is safe who might be affected on this forum, and best wishes to everyone in Japan

It seems the Ring of Fire has come alive big time...

But does this mean the BIG One in LA is going to hit this year?

Another Quake has hit Japan at 6.6, this time in Central Japan, also in terms of the Nuclear Power Plant, it has been raised higher and there is a chance they may have to release some radioactive steam, thousands have been evacuated from the area...

This is getting worse and worse!

It seems the Ring of Fire has come alive big time...

But does this mean the BIG One in LA is going to hit this year?
Have a look at this video - seismology dude getting freaked out two days ago:

<iframe ***le="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hG87v9-ROfw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No idea why he has that bit at the start of his videos - it's a line from Verlaine used as code for the invasion of France in 1944.

Now it looks like volcanos are popping all over the place - Japan, Kamchatka, Idonesia, activity in central America. He says another one collapsed in Hawaii a few days ago. "Sooner or later we're all going to feel an earthquake and the question then is, What do we do?"

Here's his youtube channel, updating every hour:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dutchsinse#p/u/0/37aPUwa3Cic

Kamchatka eruption looks huge. European & African activity not reported on his system.

Latest posts