• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Japan RWC 2019

I see that England Rugby Travel released their packages today.

https://2019.englandrugbytravel.com/package/englands-first-two-pool-matches-tour-ad

Just looking at the 1st option of England v Tonga and v USA is costing GBP 5995 / €6800.
One of my plans is for 5 games and is costing €1899, which works out to €377 a game.
Admittedly that assumes I can get the tickets, flights and hotels that I want, but that's still 11% of the price per game.
A no-brainer.

I'm back
Didn't read all the posts!
Anyone got any hotels or similar in the areas of England's games. It's going to be me and the wife doing the kids inheritance! So want to make it trip of a lifetime. But BUT I am a tight Yorkshire man and want value for money. Don't want to fly direct. I'm 18 stone and hate long haul. So one or two stops on the way. Few days in each stop maybe? Then campervan? Did that in NZ. motels? Trains seem tricky but expensive especially bullet! Can't stand the idea of paying through the nose with England Rugby. HELP PLEASE. Richard

Particularly worried we were toilet in the 6 nations!!!!

So I'm going and got the Kobe pack I wanted in the initial ballot meaning I've got tickets to England v USA, Ireland v (probably) Russia, Scotland v (probably) Samoa and also SA v the repecharge winner.

I'll most likely not attend the SA game as the current plan is to head to Tokyo to catch the England v Argentina game before heading home.

1 other game that appeals is the Argentina v Tonga game as it's also near Osaka and at one of the main Japanese actual rugby grounds.

So far costings are:

£350 for the tickets that I have (ended up with Cat B, on reflection think I could've played it safer and got lower and saved a few £)

£600 for an Airbnb apartment for the time I'm around Osaka (was available to book and confirmed with the host that it was during the RWC but know there's a risk that could be cancelled nearer the time).

Other costs

Have been tracking similar flights for same periods this year and expecting to be <£1k economy or c.£2.5k business when 2019 is available to book.

Japan rail pass (still working out if it will be more cost effective to pay as I go)

Need a hotel in Tokyo for the 2 nights around the England v Argentina game

Tickets for the 2 remaining games (c.£300)

Last edited:
Wow some hefty costings to go next year. - looking all in at £2.5k?. Still it will be an amazing trip and well worth it.

I think I paid something like £800-900 for 4 matches at the last one. But of that £505 (category B) was for the final and for me it was totally worth it, as the match was a great final and getting the chance to attend the Rugby World Cup final live, which I doubt I will get the chance ever again.

Big cost is definitely the travel and accommodation this time round.

I also put in an application for the England v Tonga Sapporo game (don't tell the wife, I'll cross that bridge if I get them). Although suspect like last time the later random sales will pay dividends like 2015 when I ended up with 12 games.

An update from me.
I applied for 5 category D tickets last week as a Front Row member.
Being a Brit here in The Netherlands, I'm looking to fly to Osaka.
I'll be taking advantage of the Japan Rail Pass.
From the airport I'm going to head to Kyoto and use that as a base.
I'm planning on visiting 3 games from there.

Kobe - England v USA
Osaka - Argentina v Tonga
Kobe - Scotland v Germany / Portugal or Samoa

And then on to Fukuoka by train for

France v USA

Flying on to Tokyo for

England v Argentina

I'm expecting to have to upgrade to a category C ticket for this game.

Updated:

Pool A:
Ireland, Scotland, Japan, Russia, play-off winner (Germany/Portugal v Samoa)

Pool B: New Zealand, South Africa, Italy, Africa 1, repechage winner

Pool C: England, France, Argentina, USA, Tonga

Pool D: Australia, Wales, Georgia, Fiji, Uruguay

Romania (and Spain) have been eliminated after a judicial process. Russia (and Germany) replace them.

Hi, incase anyone is interested, InsideJapan has put together a load of packages to coincide with the rugby in 2019. Although the packages do not include match tickets or flights, they do have accommodation in host cities for a chunk of the England, Wales & Scotland games, as well as all accommodation, transport etc in Japan. The trips tie up with the pool matches, but also head off the trail into the Japanese Alps or down into Kyushu and include a host of cultural experiences including a traditional festival in Takayama, a stay at a traditional Ryokan guest house, tea with a Geisha in Kyoto or drinks at a traditional Izakaya (pub). There are also a series of fan events planned. We are unofficial , but these trips have been put together by people who love a bit of rugby and love Japan - we want people to get the most out of their time in the country and not to have to pay through the nose. The RWC in Japan is going to amazing anyway, but we can make it more amazing. Ta.
Apologies for the sell, but I believe that InsideJapan will not disappoint.
https://www.japanrugbytravel.com/
All you have to do is get your tickets in the ballot. Last chance for tickets in this ballot today and fingers crossed for the result day on Jul 10!

So put in my ballots request for todays deadline.
Japan V Russia (Opening game) Cat D
New Zealand v South Africa Cat D
Ireland V Scotland Cat C
England v USA Cat D
Argentina v Tonga Cat D
Did the mastercard double your chances thing as well, Glad that credit card has actually come in handy....

Fingers crossed I get 1, Trying to plan a week - 2 weeks in Japan to see some games and travel around the country a bit.
First 3 games will be very hard to get though.

Will be going on me own though so not able to split the costs of Hotels. (The perks of no responsibility is I can afford to chuck a good chunk of my wage to this trip)

Last edited:
While longer for second ballot results it seems.

The results of the Supporters Club/Front Row Members priority ballot sales applications were scheduled to be announced at 2pm (Japan Standard Time) on Tuesday, 10 July. The announcement is temporarily delayed due to a system failure.
We are working to rectify the situation as quickly as possible and ask for your understanding in this regard. All applicants will be notified by email, and the results will be available on your 'My Applications' page on the ticketing website as soon as the system issue is solved.

Results are in, got all mine bar the Final (which was a bit speculative anyway)

So going to:

England v Tonga (Still need to sway this extra bit of time away with the wife)
England v USA
Argentina v Tonga
Scotland v 'Samoa'
Ireland v Russia
England v Argentina

Happy days!!!!

Found out that I have tickets for
Kobe - Scotland v 'Samoa'
Fukuoka - France v USA

I missed out on
Kobe - England v USA
Osaka - Argentina v Tonga
England v Argentina

I'll have to reapply for the last 3 games again in September.

Hi all, Damien here.

I am going to Japan next year! I was 90% decided up until this week but I just got match tickets for IRL v SCO & JPN v IRL so that sealed the deal.

Anyway, I'll most likely be going alone and I've been working on a pretty comprehensive 20-day itinerary that will get me to both games and hit all the spots I want to visit and activities I'd like to do.

I'm quite an independent traveller but I'm looking for are opportunities to meet up with some other Irish fans along the way, and any other fans who would like to have a bit of craic.

Basically, where are people going and when? Where are they staying, eating, and drinking? Which games are they going to and what are they doing before and afterwards?

For example:
20-Sep: Opening game/ceremony. I'll be in Tokyo. Meet up for a pint and watch it in an Irish bar?

22-Sep: I see there are 3 Irish bars in Yokohama for gathering before and/or after the Scotland game: The Green Sheep, Pub Snug, and Irish Pub Celts. Anyone about?

28-Sep: For the Japan game, I plan to stay in Hamamatsu as the stadium is a bit in the middle of nowhere and commute there and back. Where are people thinking of staying?

29-Sep: After the Japan game I want to spend a day or two in Nagoya and was going to watch some games and do some drinking in the numerous Irish, Aussie and Sports bars there. Anyone be about?

Then I'm going to the Kyoto which is on the way to Kobe for Ireland's next game and the adventure continues including day trips, mountain hikes and train rides...

I have the whole thing planned out in excel that I post later but for now, just wondering who's thinking in the same lines.

I created a dedicated thread for this so you can also join that if you want: Here

Hi

Newbie to forum and in UK. I am planning to go to all England pool games and the two group winners/runners up games in Oita. Applied and was only successful for Sapporo Eng v Tonga. Was surprised at charges I think 3100 on a 5000 yen ticket. Is that charge the same for every ticket you successfully get? So if you apply for 4 tickets do their charge 4 x 3100 for delivery etc? Fingers crossed for the Sept/Jan ballots. Airbnb seems to be cheapest route as most hostels/hotels are showing as not available.

H

Latest posts