• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

japan to join the rc

petite

Bench Player
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
I kniw some of you are thinking about this Come on! they deserve it. They have the money and now they have the rugby
#Let them play!

A 4 team format makes more sense and I think Japan is getting competitive games in the PNC maybe in the future but not in the next decade imo.

With them having a super rugby (which should after this be going through), I think it needs to be looked at certainly more 1st class test games there what with the world in 2019 there.

Similar to Europe with Georgia and Romania who need more game time against top tier teams to really improve.

Similar to Europe with Georgia and Romania who need more game time against top tier teams to really improve.

Yarp - not enough space in the 6n/rc, but there is space in the international calendar outside of that... Barbarians games shouldn't be happening at the expense of the "emerging" European sides.

Yeah, how do you join Japan to RC and not Fiji/Samoa/Tonga? And where would that leave USA/Canada?

I think the PNC should be expanded to a 6 Nations type of format. Perhaps a match to be played between the winner of the PNC and the winner of the 6 Nations too.

Maybe a mini series between the winner of the PNC/6N/RC?

The problem with your suggestion is doesn't it imply the 6N is a lesser competition than the RC.

No - it was a great won for Japan but one Swallow doesn't make a Summer

Would rather instead of the summer tests teams toured tier 2 nations.

For example for England:
Could have
Feb-March: 6Ns
June: Tier 2 tour
November: AI's (2 against Tier 1, and 1 against Tier 2)

Japan
Samoa
Fiji
Tonga
Georgia
Romania
USA
Canada

Have all consistently been in the World Cup and should all have at least 4 games a year against Tier 1 opponents. Minimum of 2 @ Home in the summer IMO.

Then after 2019 if the level shown by the tier 2 is substantial enough then maybe a reorganisation of the entire regional completions should be looked at.

Last edited:
June/July combine a tier 2 tour with a tier 1 one? Don't really want loose tours to NZ, Australia and SA do we?

We do need to give them games both home and away however beyond a token tour during the Lions occasionally.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if we got rid of the June tests.

1) We never seem to have a full squad for first test anyway due to it happening right at the end of the season.

2) There not that special anymore IMO playing the likes of SA or NZ 3/4 times a year.

But yes maybe a schedule of say

Honestly wouldn't mind it being a on off system

For England
2016: Tier 1 tour (SA)
2017: Tier 2 tour (Pacific)
2018: Tier 1 Tour (Aus)
2019: Tier 2 Tour (N.America),
2020: Tier 1 Tour (NZ)
2021: Tier 2 Tour (Europe)

And the likes of France and Italy

Not meaning to sound rude, but the competition has already lost its elite edge with Argentina's inclusion, not that I don't mind Argentina at all infact I like them and have enjoyed their contribution, but I feel Japans inclusion now will cheapen the competitions elite quality severely. Maybe in a few more years when they have an established Super Rugby side it will be appropriate.

Last edited:
I know this sounds rude, but the competition has already lost its elite edge with Argentina's inclusion, not that I don't mind Argentina at all, but I feel Japans inclusion now will cheapen the competitions elite quality. Maybe in a few more years when they have an established Super Rugby side it will be appropriate.
you'll get use to it the 5/6 nations has always been holding up a nation or 2. But your right Japan aren't ready for that level yet.

Too soon for them. They only won a big game against a Tier 1 side (They beat Wales A too but isn't the same) but we don't know how they will make against Samoa or Scotland. I love them, I'm going to buy their jersey but could be too early for them IMO. Look at the suffering of Argentina in their first few years of TRC, a side with more experience and more victories against Tier 1 nations. TRC is really really hard for any nation

Last edited:
Not meaning to sound rude, but the competition has already lost its elite edge with Argentina's inclusion, not that I don't mind Argentina at all infact I like them and have enjoyed their contribution, but I feel Japans inclusion now will cheapen the competitions elite quality severely. Maybe in a few more years when they have an established Super Rugby side it will be appropriate.

If the 6N was a 3N of France, England & Ireland you could argue it would be more elite and better quality, but what's the point in that? it is actually elitist and selfish, Rugby is a growing sport that needs to be globalized. In saying that, Japan are probably still a few years off. Samoa on the other hand...

The long term intention should be to have Japan join the Rugby Championship. Promoting teams in that manner needs to happen the moment they're ready. I don't think they are, but three wins against T1 opposition in three years means the question is on the table and we need to start watching.

The next step should be October games against serious opposition.

The long term intention should be to have Japan join the Rugby Championship. Promoting teams in that manner needs to happen the moment they're ready. I don't think they are, but three wins against T1 opposition in three years means the question is on the table and we need to start watching.

The next step should be October games against serious opposition.

This if they can play 3 tier one games a year and average 1 win a year in those games it needs to be looked at.

Same goes with Samoa, Fiji etc etc IMO.

World Rugby needs to build on this and fast.

IF Japan can get to the quarters this year and then play the likes of England, Ireland, France etc etc at Japan and produce similar rugby then it should give a massive boost in Attention to the 2019 REC over there.

Hopefully Eddie Jones will stay and not go SA super rugby way.

I'd just add that they didn't do great at this year's Pacific Nations Cup and that's not a bad level of competition, I wish I'd seen more of it. Their performance at that level is as good a barometer as any.

Latest posts