• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Japanese Rugby

This is pretty much my perspective on NZ rugby and the future importance of Japan to it. Admittedly from a vested interest in the form of the coach of the magnificently named (and logo-ed) Mistubishi Dynaboars!

Two more games will be streamed for free on The Rugby Network for week 2 of the season. So I'm guessing they'll be streaming all season. :) Awesome!

https://www.therugbynetwork.com/
Both matches 0500hrs for me here. I'm pretty hardcore, but not that hardcore.

I might be being a bit thick here, but the only way I can find the link to the above game is by doing a search on the keyword 'Japan'. I can't locate the game by looking at the homepage or navigating the menus. I only see MLR games. Maybe because I don't have an account?

@Bruce_ma_goosevili same. But when I click on your link, I can see how much time there's before the match
Thanks for checking. If a team I'm interested in plays hopefully I'll be able to find it using the same way and watch it on a delay with my breakfast at a civilised hour.

I'm just a bit confused as the website seems so well put together generally.

Both matches 0500hrs for me here. I'm pretty hardcore, but not that hardcore.

I might be being a bit thick here, but the only way I can find the link to the above game is by doing a search on the keyword 'Japan'. I can't locate the game by looking at the homepage or navigating the menus. I only see MLR games. Maybe because I don't have an account?
I won't post any scores, video clips or tweets from the games so you and Yulia can watch it later on demand without knowing the outcome ahead of time. Scroll down on The Rugby Network homepage, that's where I see the links for the two Japan Rugby League One games for this weekend.

Last edited:
Well, there's been a change of plans because the links to the Japan Rugby League One games are no longer posted on The Rugby Network's website. They were their yesterday, but they're gone now. They've been replaced by Collegiate All Star game links. That sucks, because I was looking forward to watching more JRLO this weekend. :(

Well, there's been a change of plans because the links to the Japan Rugby League One games are no longer posted on The Rugby Network's website. They were their yesterday, but they're gone now. They've been replaced by Collegiate All Star game links. That sucks, because I was looking forward to watching more JRLO this weekend. :(
Yeah, I'd noticed I could no longer see it - highlights in Japanese it will have to be for me. Blue Revs game cancelled for second week too.

Since The Rugby Network had a last minute change of plans and didn't stream those Japan Rugby League One games this weekend I'm posting the link to the JRLO YouTube page so we can watch the highlights from all their games. Hopefully The Rugby Network will go back to the JRLO games this coming weekend.

Last edited:
From watching JRLO the main positive is that a lot more people are getting to see rugby in person. The Sunwolves stadium used to get about 8-15,000 a match if i remember right. At the same stadium 6,000 attend JRLO and that is just one team out of 24.

However, I'm a little concerned in a gulf in quality between the league and what is required for Japan internationally (i.e. to compete with Tier 1). There are actually few foreigners, so all that Japanese talent is spread very thin over 24 sides (or at least across the top 12 sides). It is unlikely a promising young Japanese prop is going to be severely tested in this league so we may get more situations like Himeno going to another league to develop their skills better. I'd actually hope for a lot more foreigners in the league in the short term to raise the overall standard that young Japanese players are exposed to. At the moment it looks a little too easy for a truly top player in the league (be they Japanese or from overseas) to dominate the opposition.

In contrast I think MLR, SLAR and the Russian and Romanian leagues offer good experience for the currently lower level the respective national sides play at. Those leagues can hopefully develop and improve their standard hand in hand with improvements to the international side, but with Japan I don't think Jamie Joseph will be thrilled by the level his players are being exposed to compared to the Sunwolves days. It makes his life harder and really makes his close results against Scotland and Australia in November all the more impressive.

From watching JRLO the main positive is that a lot more people are getting to see rugby in person. The Sunwolves stadium used to get about 8-15,000 a match if i remember right. At the same stadium 6,000 attend JRLO and that is just one team out of 24.

However, I'm a little concerned in a gulf in quality between the league and what is required for Japan internationally (i.e. to compete with Tier 1). There are actually few foreigners, so all that Japanese talent is spread very thin over 24 sides (or at least across the top 12 sides). It is unlikely a promising young Japanese prop is going to be severely tested in this league so we may get more situations like Himeno going to another league to develop their skills better. I'd actually hope for a lot more foreigners in the league in the short term to raise the overall standard that young Japanese players are exposed to. At the moment it looks a little too easy for a truly top player in the league (be they Japanese or from overseas) to dominate the opposition.

In contrast I think MLR, SLAR and the Russian and Romanian leagues offer good experience for the currently lower level the respective national sides play at. Those leagues can hopefully develop and improve their standard hand in hand with improvements to the international side, but with Japan I don't think Jamie Joseph will be thrilled by the level his players are being exposed to compared to the Sunwolves days. It makes his life harder and really makes his close results against Scotland and Australia in November all the more impressive.
I miss the Sunwolves. They didn't win often, but they had a great fan base (yes, you remember right). The Wolf is why I picked Brave Lupus to be my JRLO team.

1642658337214.png 1642658361344.png

Last edited:
As of right now, The Rugby Network is showing streaming links for two Japan Rugby League One games this weekend. Hopefully they won't make a last minute change like they did last weekend. https://www.therugbynetwork.com/
The Verblitz game has been cancelled due to Covid-19. The Kobe Steelers one is scheduled go ahead. 4 of the 6 fixtures this weekend cancelled. I've still not seen the Blue Revs in action but seems the Eagles game will again go ahead.

The Verblitz game has been cancelled due to Covid-19. The Kobe Steelers one is scheduled go ahead. 4 of the 6 fixtures this weekend cancelled. I've still not seen the Blue Revs in action but seems the Eagles game will again go ahead.
Sorry to hear it, but thanks for the scoop.

For the second week in a row, The Rugby Network made a late decision to pull both of the Japan Rugby League One games they were supposed to stream for Amateur games instead. I don't know if it's Covid-19 related or not because they don't explain their decision on their website. :(

For the second week in a row, The Rugby Network made a late decision to pull both of the Japan Rugby League One games they were supposed to stream for Amateur games instead. I don't know if it's Covid-19 related or not because they don't explain their decision on their website. :(
Weird. I watched some of the Steelers game replay, and it shows up in my account history, but the link has now been pulled. Verblitz game was cancelled which may explain it. Perhaps they have a strange 24hrs only rule for the replay or more likely there is continued wrangling over broadcast rights.

Weird. I watched some of the Steelers game replay, and it shows up in my account history, but the link has now been pulled. Verblitz game was cancelled which may explain it. Perhaps they have a strange 24hrs only rule for the replay or more likely there is continued wrangling over broadcast rights.
Weird indeed. Now the Steelers vs Spears game is back up on their website, I'm watching it right now. Maybe my complaint post on their Facebook page made some impact? Yeah right. :rolleyes: https://www.therugbynetwork.com/videos/live-steelers-v-spears

I won't post the score in case you want to pick up where you left off or if anyone else wants to watch the game in full. The Aussie announcer said that only two games were played this weekend due to Covid-19 issues. So I'm grateful to be able to watch this one because I really enjoy JRLO.

Last edited:
I'm seeing no sign of any live matches on rugby network this weekend. In brighter news, it seems the teams have got their Covid bubbles in place and we are getting a full schedule of matches with hopefully more of the first choice players available for selection. I look forward to seeing my first glimpse of the Blue Revs (the second JRLO side with a Japanese coach).

I'm seeing no sign of any live matches on rugby network this weekend. In brighter news, it seems the teams have got their Covid bubbles in place and we are getting a full schedule of matches with hopefully more of the first choice players available for selection. I look forward to seeing my first glimpse of the Blue Revs (the second JRLO side with a Japanese coach).
The Rugby Network added two Round 4 games after you last checked. It's Friday night and I just watched the Steelers play the defending champions Wild Knights. It was a great game that had a lot of chip and chase action which made for fun viewing. I won't give anything else away so you can watch it on demand without knowing the score. The second game will be on Saturday featuring the Black Knights against Sungoliath. Enjoy! :cool:

https://www.therugbynetwork.com/

Last edited:

Latest posts