• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Japanese Rugby

Japan's squad for the two tests against Italy and one vs Georgia. Joseph selects all of his Sunwolves bench warmers. If he manages two wins out of three then frankly I lose any right to question his methods.

I'm extremely nervous about this despite the positive steps by Italy at the 6N. If Italy try to play so expansive here then they may end up being caught with their trousers down.

Forwards: Shintaro Ishihara, Keita Inagaki, Atsushi Sakate, Yusuke Niwai, Shota Horie, Takuma Asahara, Koo Ji Won, Genki Sudo; Samuela Anise, Wimpie van der Walt, Uwe Helu, Shinya Makabe; Yoshitaka Tokunaga, Masakatsu Nishikawa, Amanaki Lelei Mafi, Michael Leitch, Shunsuke Nunomaki, Kazuki Himeno

Backs: Fumiaki Tanaka, Keisuke Uchida, Yutaka Nagare; Yu Tamura, Rikiya Matsuda; Kenki Fukuoka, Akihito Yamada, Lomano Lava Lemeki, Sione Teaupa; Harumichi Tatekawa, Ryoto Nakamura, Timothy Lafaele, William Tupou; Kotaro Matsushima, Ryuji Noguchi

Broke a record today 37,000 attendance for a top league game. Great news for Japanese rugby

Last edited:
Cross post

62f09f81921b3632c5dece520e4b2cd6-1024x1024.png

4 starting and 2 on the bench with 3 caps or less... All the names I didn't recognize

Per Wikipedia:
1. 37 caps
2. 24
3. 16
4. 3 (Wild Knights 23)
5. 11
6. 1 (Sunwolves 10 / Wild Knights 42)
7. 11
8. 19
9. 25
10. 66
11. 3 (Sunwolves 6 / Kinetsu Liners 0)
12. 27
13. 26
14. 1 (Wild Knights 10 / Australia U20 - 2)
15. 41

16. 9 (Sunwolves 18 / Canon Eagles 47 / Japan U20 - 4)
17. 3 (Sunwolves 18 / Wild Knights 17 / Highlanders 12)
18. 17
19. 13
20. 6 (Sungoliath 12 / Junior Japan 8 / Japan U20 - 10)
21. 3 (Sunwolves 6 / Sungoliath 1)
22. 26
23. 19

The exact same pack as in the last match vs Australia, 3 Changes to the backs:
10 - Tamura (66) starting, Matsuda (26) benched
14 - Riley (1) starting, Yamanaka (19) joins the squad, Lemeki (16) dropped
15 - Matsushima (41) replaces Masirewa (2)

The bosses of the Japanese League speak about their desire to acquire more top overseas talent to their league with their big wallets. Each team can now have 3x capped foreign players (up from two) and limits on non-capped foreign players have also been weakened.

A previous report indicated that the number of foreign produced players (who are not Japanese Qualified) cannot exceed 10 in the whole squad (no more than 20% of the whole squad).

So despite the loosening I think they are definitely looking to keep a firmly Japanese flavour to all teams. SH unions in particular though should be bricking it with these changes.

Japanese Union reportedly say they are in talks with both 6N and Rugby Championship about participation.

With the Italian union saying any change to the 6N would take 15 years and the Australian union previously being on the record as saying any inclusion of Japan is dependent on on-field results, I wouldn't be overly optimistic at this stage.

Japanese union goes on the record saying they would prefer the RC over 6N. Showing your cards is rarely the best way to win a hand. They should observe the SARU and Pacific Islands to see how you go about playing the SH & NH off of each other. The PIs have a far weaker hand than Japan but got an eligibility rule change agreed by the NH and got two sides ìn Super Rugby. Which is pretty outstanding political manoeuvring for some relatively tiny and financially modest unions.

I just streamed the first game of the 2022 Japan Rugby League One season and the Shining Arcs beat the Kobe Steelers, 24-23 in a very good game. There's another Live game in an hour and a half, Friday night/Saturday morning depending on your time zone. You'll notice a lot of Super Rugby players moonlighting in Japan Rugby League One before the Super Rugby season begins.

www.therugbynetwork.com

Last edited:
Japan Rugby League One, game two of the night/morning on The Rugby Network - Sungoliath beat Brave Lupus, 60-46. Very exciting, lot's of action!

Just the 106 points then? :p

Below is a not very good preview of the new club season, but I see the suggestion that SH 'teams' will be invited to play the JRLO champs and that the JRLO is looking outwards to connect (may be a reference to a previous article on Korea and HK or may be something else to do with SH?).

Just the 106 points then? :p

Below is a not very good preview of the new club season, but I see the suggestion that SH 'teams' will be invited to play the JRLO champs and that the JRLO is looking outwards to connect (may be a reference to a previous article on Korea and HK or may be something else to do with SH?).

No offense to you, but I don't put much stock into what writers think before the first game of the season was even played. I enjoyed the two games I watched last night/this morning. There were some Super Rugby guys playing in both games which made it more exciting. I hope The Rugby Network will continue to stream more of the Japan Rugby League One games. I've already picked my favorite team, the Brave Lupus (below). They didn't win last night, but that's OK.

Last edited:
Apologies, I meant a 'not well written' preview, rather than a negative one (although it is also a bit negative). I only posted it for the remarks from the league administrator.

Apologies, I meant a 'not well written' preview, rather than a negative one (although it is also a bit negative). I only posted it for the remarks from the league administrator.
No apology necessary. I'm just grateful that I was able to watch those two games for free. I've already extended my streaming budget farther than I had planned.

Latest posts