• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Japan's domestic TV viewing figures for the RWC!

ratsapprentice

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; width: 100%; height: 202.766px; padding: 0px; border: none; max-width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="651001387149578244" ***le="Twitter Tweet"></iframe>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20million for the game vs Scotland....

25million for the victory over Samoa...

That is the highest ever TV draw for rugby anywhere.

Fantastic.

Kinda takes a bit of sting out of our loss to them. If it helps rugby..

It's insane... got to be beyond even the wildest of imaginations.

It would have been around midnight too right? Great signs for a potential future powerhouse!

Sorry, there is a twitter post embedded in the OP, but the forum still doesn't handle them properly most of the time.

I read that they had 3m in Germany.
http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/sc...how-rugby-world-cup-is-taking-over-the-world/

That's pretty good for rugby here, no wonder Eurosport kept on adding more and more live matches. I'm not sure how many they will show in the end, but if I'm not mistaken, they're showing ~30 matches of the total. Much, much more than ever before. And then you have the rest live on Eurosport Player.

FAZ, one of the biggest national newspapers, had several rugby articles in recent days. Google News lists 276 articles in German about England's World Cup exit. Not all of those are about that, but they're still about rugby. In the past, you were unlikely to find anything before the knockout stages. Things like Japan's victory over SA, the proposal by the Romanian player, Diego Maradona and England's exit have helped increase the coverage a lot.

Kinda takes a bit of sting out of our loss to them. If it helps rugby..

Mate, it's had a huge effect.. I work for a Japanese government trading body in Sydney and EVERYONE is now following Rugby. Heck, it even got my immediate manager watching the NRL as well if you can believe that lol.

Pretty good, considering that this is 20 or 25 millions of tvs tuning in to watch the game, I would say the number of people watching the matches is like 45 millions or most likely more.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw guys, I'm from Brazil, it's not huge here but let me say that most people are aware that the Rugby World Cup is happening, that's a good start.

Tell your countrymen that the Wallabies would more than welcomed your support - your national colors wouldn't even require you to get a jersey ;-).

Good to hear the game is getting some air time in Brazil. Would like to see more of a footprint for the game over there

Tell your countrymen that the Wallabies would more than welcomed your support - your national colors wouldn't even require you to get a jersey ;-).

Good to hear the game is getting some air time in Brazil. Would like to see more of a footprint for the game over there

Yeah. Oh man, I'm a newbie and I'm sure there is a lot of people like me who felt in love with the sport due to the more recent exposure on sports channels. What a fantastic sport, I hope I can see one day a great Brazil vs Argentina match in a World Cup.

Brazil is going to be in the Americas Cup, with USA, Canada, Argentina, Chile and Uruguay. Brazil is not going to win any match but it's a start to grow from there.

Australia vs Argentina was watched by 318k in the Netherlands, a new national record. :)

Sadly, that figure also seems to be about double the number of people who watched it in Australia... :(

Even allowing for the fact it was on early in the morning.... that's ****ing awful.

Australia vs Argentina was watched by 318k in the Netherlands, a new national record. :)

Sadly, that figure also seems to be about double the number of people who watched it in Australia... :(

Even allowing for the fact it was on early in the morning.... that's ****ing awful.

What, really? I find that crazy. I know its only the 4th most popular sport in Oz, but its only the 4th most popular sport here in Ireland too, and our population is 5 times smaller, and I bet more people watched it than that!! (though I have no idea where to find the figures for it)

Great ratings in Germany: Overall, 9.58 million people watched the World Cup (all added together), with an average of 177,000 people watching each match live. 518,000 people watched the final at its peak. The final reached a market share of 5.2% among 14-49 yo males.

Overall, Eurosport showed 31 matches live (much more than originally planned), with all matches of the World Cup being streamed live online.

http://www.rugby-verband.de/rugby-w...rund-zehn-millionen-sportfans-in-deutschland/

Apparently, Eurosport are in negotiations over new rugby rights. That also shows how pleased they are.

I'd query those numbers, as you'd have to add pay-TV which has simulcast rights with Rugby.

But to be fair mate, it wasn't just early in the morning, it was early on a Monday morning... only dedicated Rugby fans were ever going to wake up at 3am to watch a game of footy when they'd have to start getting ready for work only an hour or so after it finished.

Stupid scheduling on behalf of World Rugby in my view... why they couldn't have had some games on Friday nights or at least have earlier kick offs for these sunday games I don't understand.

I'd query those numbers, as you'd have to add pay-TV which has simulcast rights with Rugby.

But to be fair mate, it wasn't just early in the morning, it was early on a Monday morning... only dedicated Rugby fans were ever going to wake up at 3am to watch a game of footy when they'd have to start getting ready for work only an hour or so after it finished.

Stupid scheduling on behalf of World Rugby in my view... why they couldn't have had some games on Friday nights or at least have earlier kick offs for these sunday games I don't understand.

Unless Australia managed to somehow revolve around the Earth twice as quickly as normal; it was still a Sunday mate :p

Unless Australia managed to somehow revolve around the Earth twice as quickly as normal; it was still a Sunday mate :p

We're talking about the semi-final against Argentina, not the Final v NZ. For the final itself, closer to a million watched it here.

Last edited:

Latest posts