Jaque Fourie claims O'Gara gouged him...

Discussion in '2017 British & Irish Lions Tour' started by sean43, Jul 2, 2009.

1. sean43

sean43 Guest

From the paper in Wales today.

"THE blazing row over foul play during the ferocious second Test between the Lions and South Africa took a new twist with Springbok try-scoring idol Jaque Fourie claiming he was also the victim of eye-gouging.

Super-sub Fourie (below), whose 74th-minute try at Loftus Versfeld helped the Springboks win, made the startling new claim as the seething bitterness between the two camps threatens to spill into more acrimony during Saturday’s tour finale at Johannesburg’s Ellis Park.

Fourie said: “In one of the close defensive situations with their replacement fly-half Ronan O’Gara, I was on the receiving end of eye-gouging.â€

Fourie’s claim, made in South African newspaper The Citizen, will shock the Lions camp because it is the first time the tourists have been accused of such an offence.

Fourie, 26, didn’t specify he was accusing O’Gara of gouging, but his claim will increase the growing tension out here with the two teams on a near war footing as the conclusion of an epic three-Test rubber looms.

There has been claim and counter-claim with the Lions continuing to bristle over Springbok flanker Schalk Burger only receiving an eight-week ban for gouging the left eye of Luke Fitzgerald in the opening minute of last weekend’s Pretoria powderkeg game.

South Africa have attempted to divert attention from disciplinary issues by claiming they haven’t been “congratulated†by the Lions for winning the three-Test showdown.

Outspoken Springbok coach Peter de Villiers stated: “Nobody has congratulated us, but maybe they will do so after the third Test.â€

However, Lions officials last night insisted coach Ian McGeechan had twice said “well done†to de Villiers and captain Paul O’Connell applauded the Springbok achievement following last weekend’s brutal encounter, which resulted in seven players being hospitalised for treatment.

The International Rugby Board was so concerned by de Villiers’ assertion that Burger had not gouged winger Fitzgerald that they launched their own investigation.

It is understood the IRB’s intervention was a driving force in the South African Rugby Union releasing a statement from de Villiers and president Oregan Hoskins apologising for his astonishing post-match comments.

The Western Mail has also learned from insiders that some influential IRB powerbrokers believe Burger should have been made an example of and handed a two-year ban.

The IRB last night announced moves to implement measures to ensure the crime is eradicated.

An IRB statement read: “We are firmly of the view that there is no place in rugby for foul play and the act of eye-gouging is particularly heinous.

“In light of recent high-profile cases, the IRB is launching a review of the existing disciplinary sanction structure with regard to contact with the eye area in order to send out the strongest possible message that such acts of foul play will not be tolerated.

“They have no place in a game that has at its core the pillars of fair play, respect and camaraderie.

“The IRB has also written to the chairman of the IRB judicial panel to underscore its concerns regarding incidents of eye-gouging and a memorandum will be issued to independent judicial officers reinforcing the IRB’s disciplinary policy.

“Under existing IRB regulations, only the player may appeal independent judicial decisions. In light of recent cases, the IRB will review whether the scope of the appeal should in future extend to other appropriate parties, including the IRB itself.â€

Lions skipper O’Connell and forwards coach Graham Rowntree became the most recent Lions to wade into de Villiers for his comments about Burger when they yesterday tackled what most regard as the most dangerous offence in rugby.

“It was completely out of order – crass, pathetic. It is ridiculous what he said,†rapped former Lions prop Rowntree.

“There is no place in the game for gouging. Why players would even do it with the cameras that are around is beyond me. We are upset by it.â€

O’Connell expressed his surprise Burger at least hadn’t received the 12-week sentence Munster and Ireland flanker Alan Quinlan received for gouging Leinster skipper Leo Cullen in a Heineken Cup semi-final.

“Why it differed I don’t know; the Burger incident probably looked a lot worse,†said O’Connell, but he doesn’t expect Burger to apologise to Fitzgerald, adding: “I think he was maintaining his innocence and considering appealing.

“I don’t know his thoughts on it – that’s up to him.â€

Until Fourie’s dramatic outburst, South Africa hadn’t been specific about transgressions committed by the Lions.

De Villiers had said: “If you watch the whole game you will see how many yellow cards the Lions were let off.

“What good would it do to us to get five or six Lions banned? It would make Saturday an easy game and we do not want that.â€

Assistant Springbok coach Dick Muir had said: “There were a lot of other incidents that were tougher, that should have been cited, but they did not attract the attention of the citing officer because no-one was injured.â€

Amidst that backdrop, Lions coach Ian McGeechan names his team today for the third Test.

Andrew Sheridan and Phil Vickery are favourites to start in the front row in the absence of Gethin Jenkins and Adam Jones.

But Wales centre Jamie Roberts hopes to be fit after recovering from a wrist injury, while Tommy Bowe was able to take a full part in training yesterday after his elbow problem. "

Link - http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/r...91466-24053262/

I would ask Mr Fourie to pin point at what time in the game, during what collision and whether he was being tackled or not.

Absolutely pathetic. SA Rugby is fast becoming the hate figure of International Rugby, with plenty of justification when you have cocks such as Fourie, Burger and PDV.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. KZNSharksFan

KZNSharksFan Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sean43 @ Jul 2 2009, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    What the hell are we supposed to do about it? We dont like it either. Blame the politicans, not the players.

4. C A Iversen

C A Iversen Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sean43 @ Jul 2 2009, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I have no idea why both teams don't start focusing on the final test, but anyhow I find it ridiculous that it if did occur and wasn't properly caught on tape, that someone could ask a player intent on winning a game, what minute that happened and the exact details. Not that I'm saying it did or didn't happen.

Still it wasn't worth him bringing it up. It's just making a bigger mess.

5. sean43

sean43 Guest

The politicians didnt eye gouge my friend. The politicians didnt force Fourie to make this statement.

6. sean43

sean43 Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jul 2 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I have no idea why both teams don't start focusing on the final test, but anyhow I find it ridiculous that it if did occur and wasn't properly caught on tape, that someone could ask a player intent on winning a game, what minute that happened and the exact details. Not that I'm saying it did or didn't happen.
    [/b][/quote]

Well he was on the pitch for about 10 minutes wasnt he so the evidence should be easily found. Why hasnt he reported this earlier either?

7. C A Iversen

C A Iversen Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sean43 @ Jul 2 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Not sure what that means. :blink:

8. sean43

sean43 Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jul 2 2009, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    [/b][/quote]

You said blame the politicians not the players, well its the players who are causing most of this.

9. Jer1cho

Jer1cho Guest

Man this is getting out of hand... I think the Lions are the worst losers in the world, and the South African are the worst ****-stirrers in the world. I can't believe all of this is happening because of one player.

I told every single one of you Schalk Burger is **** and must go away forever. Look what he did! He !@#$ed up 12 years of preperation!!! I'm going to find him, then just jump on his face and proceed in removing his eyeballs while i sing the national anthem.

10. C A Iversen

C A Iversen Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sean43 @ Jul 2 2009, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    [/b][/quote]

You said blame the politicians not the players, well its the players who are causing most of this.
    [/b][/quote]

You have me confused with KZNSharks Fan, just look above a bit. A simple mistake though, no big deal. :)

11. TheBokke

TheBokke Guest

In your eyes. Hey that is your opinion and you have every right to it. This BIL have not exactly endeared themselves to a lot of people either.

12. sean43

sean43 Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBokke @ Jul 2 2009, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    In your eyes. Hey that is your opinion and you have every right to it. This BIL have not exactly endeared themselves to a lot of people either.

[/b][/quote]

Perhaps not but the Lions arent the ones with 2 players suspended for Saturday.

Yet South Africa arent 2-0 down in the Series :(

13. Jer1cho

Jer1cho Guest

5 High tackles were made, and one punch in the balls!!! Remember that!

14. sean43

sean43 Guest

Sheridan should have been dealt with but nothing quite beats eye gouging does it. Oh the head coach defending it tops it all off!

15. Daylightfire

Daylightfire Guest

Is every thread going to get like this now,,

to be honest, both sides played a hard physical game, sometimes erring on the wrong side of the rules of the game. Burger went beyond this and went against the code / morals of the game.

16. C A Iversen

C A Iversen Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sean43 @ Jul 2 2009, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    This has been dealt with in other threads, but this thread is mainly re-hashing some very unharmonious feelings. IF this continues down the road of baiting the South Africans, then it may have to be closed. Further the conversation more along the lines of the Fourie situation and it's merits etc.

Most other Lions supporters are focusing on the upcoming game and the South Africans were also settling down a lot in the other 2nd test thread.

You've a right to an opinion, but not to head off track and look to be inciting arguments.

17. sean43

sean43 Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jul 2 2009, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    This has been dealt with in other threads, but this thread is mainly re-hashing some very unharmonious feelings. IF this continues down the road of baiting the South Africans, then it may have to be closed. Further the conversation more along the lines of the Fourie situation and it's merits etc.

Most other Lions supporters are focusing on the upcoming game and the South Africans were also settling down a lot in the other 2nd test thread.

You've a right to an opinion, but not to head off track and look to be inciting arguments.
    [/b][/quote]

Sorry I didnt want it to go into the whole Burger thing but for Fourie to make the claim so long after the match is just a bit silly.

18. shazbooger

shazbooger Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Jul 2 2009, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Think about it. Its not actually the Lions. The lions stated their piece about the match after each match (where it was good and bad), then they go quiet or start focusing on the next test. Thats how it happened in the first test and all the warm up matches.

The only difference was the ref's f***ing up the gouging incident and the P Divvy's brain fart when talking about it. From then the Lions reacted, quite rightly saying hes f***ing mad, and should be censored for it. Most of the coaches and players agree (from both sides) and you cant argue with them cause we all feel the same.

I'm not saying its the Boks fault. P Divvy made a right arse of this one all on his own. He gave the press something to latch onto and they love him for it. Now the story is becoming the story of the tour.

Fourie coming out with this one 5 days after the incident is mind boggling.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Jul 2 2009, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Big difference between high tackles (none of which were specifically dangerous) and intentionally trying to remove a players eye ball.

And for god sake does no one appreciate how funny that punch to the balls was?

19. Jer1cho

Jer1cho Guest

I'm so over this series...

20. shazbooger

shazbooger Guest

Yeah I'm sick to death of it myself. Havent even been reading up on the tour myself. The dynamic of the press and what they print is facinating to watch, but both sides are prining 80% bullshit opinion, 20% facts.

It keeps the tours going, but adds nothing really.

21. Jer1cho

Jer1cho Guest

Guess rugby just aint what it used to be... :(

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!