• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jarryd Hayne quiets NFL to join Fiji Sevens

Very interesting
Fiji aren't a side that need "big names" coming in, they've got a hundred guys in the shadows who could tear it up at 7s.

Hayne is a supreme athlete, though, and if anyone's going to turn him into a 7s player it'll be Ryan.
Hopefully Fiji have the minerals to cut him loose (like Aus with Cooper) if he doesn't make the grade, though.

Wonder if he will stay with Union?
Only 28 and some big money to be had potentially.

Toulon with a mass clear out might be tempted.

there is talk that he won't be allowed to compete at Rio due to the fact the NFL are not WADA complaint.

...I am so glad he is back playing for Fiji...a lot of Aussies a little bit indignant about this- forgetting he actually played in the WC for Fiji before he was poached by the Aussies ...and who could forget that brilliant WC upset against France Hayne starred in for Fiji..
....my concern with any switch to Sevens is he's never played rugby before...not something you can learn in 5 min you'd think - although he is a naturally gifted multitalented footballer and if anyone can crack it...it's Jarryd Hayne..

...so much speculation about his next move and apparently NRL clubs have only a matter of a few weeks left to register him if they want him to play for their club this year, should he not make the Fijian Sevens team...with his old club breaching their salary cap complicating matters even further ,the Knights and Roosters are being suggested as possible alternatives..

Harryd should play for Aussie 7s and then play for the Wallabies. I wish it but he's going to play the London 7s and will become inelegible for Australia, then he won't make the Fiji squad for Rio and will play for Roosters in 2017.

Why should he play for Aus?

Easier to get into? Prob.

Because I wan to see him playing at the hightest level in Union. (Bledisloe, Rugby Championship, World Cup). I want to see what can do one of the best NRL players against the ABs. I think he's top class like Izzy Folau. So Australia with 2 Folau would be so dangerous for ABs backline.

Because I wan to see him playing at the hightest level in Union. (Bledisloe, Rugby Championship, World Cup). I want to see what can do one of the best NRL players against the ABs. I think he's top class like Izzy Folau. So Australia with 2 Folau would be so dangerous for ABs backline.

What position? Folau has been a bigger star that people want than Hayne.. Might be lucky to start in a sport he hasn't played. It is different that Laumape/RTS grew up playing rugby and changed.

Well he's played a couple games now and he doesn't look remotely up to it at this point - the games Fiji have won have been won in spite of him. I am really beginning to think he may not be up to it in 7s.

Ben Ryan said that his fitness is "way down" compared to all the other Fiji players, as well.

I think he definitely has the core skills to become a great 7s player, I just think he's left it too late to get to the Olympics. If he'd have transitioned across several months ago (like the Honey Badger has, for Aus) he'd have a good chance, but as it is? Fiji is probably the hardest 7s side to break in to.

Hayne has potential, there was a couple times where he beat 2 - 3 players in a row with ease. He's just still getting used to the rules and hasn't had much game time. Ben Ryan did say before the tournament he was only going to bring Hayne on in the last 2 minutes of each game, so I guess Ryan's intending on developing him over the next few months and this is just a little intro for him. Hayne clearly doesn't understand the rules at the ruck, he got penalized twice in a row against Australia for not releasing before going for the ball. He looked totally confused when he was penalized lol.

It will be very hard for him to make this team, Fiji still have the likes of Tuisova, Rawaca, Ravouvou, Nakarawa, Kunatani and Pio Tuwai to bring back into the team. And even then there are other players who have played for Fiji this year that will be trying to get into the team as well. Once he learns the rules at the breakdown properly and gets his fitness up he will be very good though. It looks like he has no problems beating defenders, he's just barely had the ball.

Edit: Jarryd must be too used to the NFL size ball, he's dropped the ball quite a few times and been slipping over a lot too

Last edited:
Certainly not as long as he wanted!!
#benryanbutcher

Don't know what he expected to be honest.
He'd have had more success trying out for Australia than Fiji, but even then they've been pretty ruthless with their cuts (ditching Quade Cooper early)

Latest posts