Jason Robinson is coming out of retirement

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Jason Robinson is coming out of retirement to play for English National League club Fylde next season, starting in September.

The Leeds-born winger, who will be 36 later this month, played rugby league for club sides Hunslet and Wigan and internationally for both England and Great Britain before switching codes.
He had spells with Bath and Sale and was a part of England's 2003 World Cup-winning team, appearing in more than 50 rugby union internationals for his country, as well as playing for the British and Irish Lions.
He hung up his boots during the 2007-08 season but has decided to resume his career with a team who finished ninth in National North Two last season.
It means a reunion with former England manager Brian Ashton, who returned to Fylde as a coaching consultant last month.
Ashton said: "It is a remarkably fortunate coincidence for me to be returning to help out my old club Fylde as Jason arrives to play.
"I have had the privilege of working with Jason and know that his stature, ability and qualities as a player and a person will benefit all who come into contact with him, both on and off the field."
Robinson, who is also expected to be involved in off-the-pitch activities, will also be working again with Mark Nelson, Sale's backs coach in their Premiership-winning 2005-06 season.
Nelson, now Fylde head coach, said: "It's a fantastic opportunity for our players to play alongside such an experienced and mercurial talent and I expect a number of players will express an interest in joining the club to have a similar opportunity."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_6279935,00.html

He played for clubs like Sale Sharks and now he's coming out of retirement to play for a National North Two team from Lancashire? I don't understand that.

Maybethe fact he's 36 and not up to the standard of top flight rugby any more could be a small hint-hint...

He played for clubs like Sale Sharks and now he's coming out of retirement to play for a National North Two team from Lancashire? I don't understand that.

That's the love of the game. The fear and excitement in the dressing room, the shoot of adrenaline when the whistle blows etc...Hard to stop when you've been on this for years...

Austin Healy plays (or at least played) for his local team after he retired, and they were in a pretty low down league.

He should do well, he's still got bags of pace, and is naturally gifted

Ugh.

Don't get me wrong, Jason Robinson is a brilliant talent, but it's always hard for me to watch a player who is obviously not the player they were 5 or so years ago, come back to the game. Lomu, Umaga in Union and now Robinson in league. Still, if they love the game they play, good on them for continuing.

Robinson is going to a Union club. "National League" is the name of the division.

That said, it's be a piece of **** for him to go in to lower-level rugby-lite. He's still got bags of pace even now ( I saw him play in the legends match at Twickenham in February this year).

Robinson is going to a Union club. "National League" is the name of the division.

That said, it's be a piece of **** for him to go in to lower-level rugby-lite. He's still got bags of pace even now ( I saw him play in the legends match at Twickenham in February this year).
Doh!

I see what you mean though, I'm sure there'd be plenty of clubs interested in signing him if he was interested.

He should be a good signing. Even at 36 he will bring bags of experience also.

It must be mad for some of the players in these teams to go up against someone like him. Like i know someone who plays for Loughborough Students, and to think he'll be playing against Jason Robinson is odd!

Yes....i honestly think jason robinson is one f the best ever ..loved his style of play his step swerve and then leaving his man for dead....simply awesome

It must be mad for some of the players in these teams to go up against someone like him. Like i know someone who plays for Loughborough Students, and to think he'll be playing against Jason Robinson is odd!

Here's the real mind bender for you; If your friend is only 19 or so, Robinson would have been scoring top level tries before he was even born!

Here's the real mind bender for you; If your friend is only 19 or so, Robinson would have been scoring top level tries before he was even born!

Robinson scored his first Wigan try on 6th September 1992 . He had previously played at Hunslet.

Aye, still, scoring tries while my friend was 3 or 4 is still a strange prospect!

Latest posts