• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jeff Wilson Discussion

C

C A Iversen

Jeff Wilson was one of the All Blacks most consistent players of all time. Blessed with speed, even better acceleration, a great body swerve technique, near-perfect handling, vision to read the game better than almost any other and a kicking game which included the best chip, chase and regather in World Rugby.

He played wing and fullback equally well, although most coaches felt he could've played in nearly all the backline positions, due to his ability to read the game and be in the right place at the right time with speed to burn.

He was often viewed as a finisher by many fans, although many is the all black who would witness Jeff carve through 2-3 defenders, only to draw in the fullback and pass to them, gifting them an effortless test try, Christian Cullen amongst them on at least four occasions. The team always came first with Jeff, as with any legendary All Black.

Will have a full and finished article to post up on Jeff this evening. In the meantime, however, how about discussing whether or not you think this legend should be snapped up for the Hall Of Fame.

Jeff Wilson was one of the best roamers in the game when he played....always turned up to be Johnny on the spot and make the touchdown.

His pace was genuine.......looked like he was going slow but in reality he was moving real fast!

Hard to say if I would put him in the hall of fame....judging wingers is very hard to do as there are so many out of this world wingers that have come and gone. Therefore I judge wingers on the impact they had on a team as well as what they have achieved. For instance I rate Ieuan Evans as up there during the early nighties period as he was the captain of a struggling Welsh side, a real rock for them. You could see his class really shine through when he toured with a stronger team as he did with the Lions.

Jeff Wilson was the third of a dynamic trio of outside backs that were the complete package. Cullen, lomu and Wilson...........all different styles yet the best in the business for their time with their style.

Maybe if Wilson was born in a different era?

Jeff Wilson is an interesting character - to my mind he always seemed to take the right option. I cannot remember many times seeing him stuff up - like get tackled out, drop the ball, kick the ball aimlessly or run away from support.

It always looked effortless and he always seemed to be able to create the space and time for others to look good in.

Whenever he stuffed up he always learned quickly from it and never seemed to duplicate any errors.

Not the best ever winger of all time but he was good enough to be included in any side.

If I had to pick an All Blacks XV (post '90's) he would always, at the very least, make my squad.

And he was also a talented cricket player although it was athletics that he first represented New Zealand in.

Well, at one stage Tab Baldwin asked him to try out as he was pretty confident that he would've made it sooner or later.

He played some age group provincial soccer. Was a track and field star for Southland while growing up and I think I read that when he was 10 he was an age group shotput rep for NZ too.

None of the other Hall Of Famers so far have represented NZ at senior international level in two major sports.

Originally posted by C A Iversen@Jul 17 2006, 04:44 PM
Well, at one stage Tab Baldwin asked him to try out as he was pretty confident that he would've made it sooner or later.

He played some age group provincial soccer. Was a track and field star for Southland while growing up and I think I read that when he was 10 he was an age group shotput rep for NZ too.

None of the other Hall Of Famers so far have represented NZ at senior international level in two major sports.
And in the '94 he gave me an ass whipping on Daytona.........therefore he MUST surely be the greatest!!! All I saw was the tail of his V8 all day! :lol: :bravo:

...I got my revenge by picking on Jon Preston (cos he is half my size) and giving him the beats on that 2 on 2 basketball game...can't remember the name......yeah I know...classic pick on the small guy...blah blah blah...well I had to restore my pride somehow :rolleyes:

he was infamous for this moment in the '94 bledisloe at sydney.

anyone who can represent their country in 2 sports is a legend in my book.

leffwilson_wideweb__430x387.jpg

That should really be the other way around, Gregan's famous moment, if you include the lead up work in getting to that point, he deserved a try. Not the only player to not score when over the line.

"Jeff Wilson Discussion, All Black Great who went out on top....." - hope you weren't referring to his hair Craig :p

Originally posted by dobrien7@Jul 17 2006, 08:29 PM
That should really be the other way around, Gregan's famous moment, if you include the lead up work in getting to that point, he deserved a try. Not the only player to not score when over the line.

"Jeff Wilson Discussion, All Black Great who went out on top....." - hope you weren't referring to his hair Craig :p
"No comment. No comment on the thinning thatch!". Jeff Wilson (in joking tone) during one tv interview. :lol:

wilson is one of the best wingers to don the black jersey. imo goldie is right up there with john kirwan as one of the greats of the game.

he had one of the best chip re-gathers ever seen, seemingly to always get the perfect bounce. had plenty of speed and could play fullback with seamless ease. formed a great combination with cullly and the big man lomu.

and as others have said he made it to the top in cricket as well as rugby.

defintely should be in the hall of fame

Yes well, make mine a vote for Wilso. He was a classic winger, the type that could turn a game.

One game against Wellington, he turned the whole game on it's head with two match-winning tries, a conversion, and three penalities to win the match when Otago were trailing by 14 pts with less than 20 minutes to go.

Now that was entertaining!

Jeff is/was a legend. I think i have his autograph and my four and six card :p

Latest posts