• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Johann Rupert and Patrice Motsepe in joint bid to take over the Bulls

Bulls will become the richest club in the World. May reverse some of the player drain if they can outbid the NH teams

Bulls will become the richest club in the World. May reverse some of the player drain if they can outbid the NH teams

Indeed, although, I think there will be a plan in place to build a legacy and to have a decent stock of local players and improving on that. But we might see some overseas stars returning to Loftus.

Plus this could mean we might be in the market for a top notch coach, as we currently have a stand-in coach...

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/billionaire-motsepe-buys-major-stake-in-bulls-20191122

Mining magnate Patrice Motsepe has sealed the deal and now owns equal majority shares of the Blue Bulls Company.

Last month, it was reported that Remgro boss Johann Rupert and Motsepe were looking to make a joint offer to gain a majority share.

However, the Blue Bulls Company have confirmed on Friday that existing shareholders Remgro and the Blue Bulls Rugby Union (BBRU) have reduced their previously equal percentage of shareholding from 50% each, to 37% and 26%, respectively.

The deal was unanimously concluded on Thursday at a meeting held at Loftus Versfeld, which sees Motsepe owning the remaining 37% of the Pretoria-franchise.

Hopefully this cash injection will be used to get in a few players as I think the Bulls are the team who were the most affected by players leaving after the World Cup.

Wonder what it might mean for the future of the bulls though, in terms of what competition they will play in, personally I can see Rupert eyeing up a way to get into the Champions cup.

This is good for the Bulls, especially now that they have cleaned out some folk that was seen as holding the Union back and doing things for their own goodwill
With the right Management and the financial support they could become the new superpower in South Africa
Lions are going nowhere very fast
Stormers have retained most players but have ongoing court cases and is cash strapped
Sharks basically start from fresh with new coaching staff

Sharks have a settled squad though. Should be there or thereabouts but not pushing for silverware I'd imagine: losing QFists. They have a good pack and I am excited about them having an actual lock for once despite his youth. The backline is also very young and should be better off with a year's SR experience behind them. I see them as SA top dog for 2020 actually.

Bulls will get cash but are seeing heavy player rotation. I can't see the money talking so soon unless they somehow manage to batten down the hatches, maybe retain some of those players (buying out their contracts?) or get a few journeymen back though I suppose with the Euro season up and running there won't be anyone worth signing not signed already..

Stormers are cash strapped and have the most baggage of any SA franchise ITO hands dipping into pockets. We need to cut the clubs and unions' plundering of the Stormers. I can just imagine the law suits though. Have to make a clean break between WP and the Stormers. Hopefully selling off Newlands and getting into Cape Town stadium will bring in a cash injection and get more bums onto seats. ITO players I just hope our pack don't suffer RWC hangovers. Because we will need our pack as I don't see our backline carrying us any further than a QF spot. For us we need to look at SR as SR and not bow to SARU. PSDT is a great flanker in test rugby, too slow in SR. That and we have a shortage in the locks and overabundance of quality young loose forwards. Willemse is our best 10 but we play him at 15 because SARU want him at 15. We are short on the centres as well. Possibly Willemse at 12 and we have duel playmakers but I don't know if we can pull off that Aussie 10/12 playmaker type game. Actually hoping for a lineup of:

1 Kitshoff* / Vermaak
2 Mbonambi* / Ntubeni*
3 Malherbe* / Louw*
4 Wiese
5 PS Du Toit* / Shickerling
6 Redelinghuys
7 Kolisi* / J Du Toit
8 Coetzee
9 Jantjies* / Vermaak
10 Willemse* / Stander
11 Senatla
12 Pretorius
13 Jones ? / Nel
14 Leyds*
15 Marais

Actually not as bad as I was thinking. With * all Bokke and Coetzee and Wiese as good as any Bok forward. I'm desperately hoping the rumor of Jones joining is true though as we are VERY short at center. I do feel though we have to go Jantjies/Willemse at the halves. Maybe we can compete with the Sharks, Bulls and Jaguars..

Lions are a year ahead of the Bulls in terms of dipping but without the hope the Bulls have ITO hopefully retaining their best looking forward. They have a few classy players but very thin..

Wonder what it might mean for the future of the bulls though, in terms of what competition they will play in, personally I can see Rupert eyeing up a way to get into the Champions cup.

I don't think so. Johann Rupert has had shares in the Bulls for quite a while now, so I don't think much will change in that aspect. I think it's more of keeping on building the brand and making it more profitable.

There was a fear sometime ago, that the Bulls might be placed under administration and there were also reports of fraud and maladministration in the past so, I think this acquisition has more to do with running the company clean, and making it a profitable business.

Motsepe especially is a big win. He owns the Pretoria-based soccer team who also uses Loftus Versfeld as their base and play their games. He also has a lot of influence in the black community and is well respected.

Will all this money stop the player drain?

I don't think it will stop it. But it might make it less frequent and in the amount of players leaving. For me, it's more about building it up into a more sustainable project. The Bulls have a knack of getting guys in every year who played abroad for a while. Last year we got Duane Vermeulen and Schalk Brits. And now we got Morne Steyn and Jeandre Kruger. Which is great news especially since we lost Handre Pollard, Lood De Jager and RG Snyman, as well as Jason Jenkins.

I'm keeping a keen eye on what the Bulls are going to do with regard to player recruitment for 2020. There has been very little reports from them in this regard, which makes me think that they were waiting for this deal to happen first before they start shopping around. They basically have a month left to make acquisitions if before the squad meets up for preparations.

The other question would be if we are going to get another coach. Not that I think Pote Human did a bad job last year under the circumstances. I mean, he was hired a month before the SR started because of John Mitchell getting the England assistant coaching job. And then Human managed to get the Bulls to finish top of the SA teams and even managed to qualify for the playoffs.

Latest posts