TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
I had thought Mitchell very competent seeing him so much in the SS studio, but then I read that Garrin Lambley column on S24 a while back pointing out what terrible results the guy has gotten over the years. I think the Bulls could do better, after all, the guy seems more interested in blaming his players for his mediocre coaching than building a competent team.

Not sure if this is good news for England or not, let's just say I'm glad he's not the new boks defence coach...

Edit for the interested: https://m.sport24.co.za/Columnists/GarrinLambley/why-the-unhealthy-obsession-with-mitchell-20180705 (apologies for mobile link)

Last edited:
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, what a whiner.
For the Bulls sake I hope they get Stonehouse, I heard Matfield, Fourie du Preez and Dobson mentioned as well, all of which would be unsuitable for different reasons.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, what a whiner.
For the Bulls sake I hope they get Stonehouse, I heard Matfield, Fourie du Preez and Dobson mentioned as well, all of which would be unsuitable for different reasons.

Also heard those rumours. Personally I think Stonehouse is the only guy out of those 4 names the Bulls would get, with Du Preez maybe as an assistant coach. Victor is at the moment still contracted to the Lions, so I doubt he'd be in with a shout now.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/bulls-england-reach-agreement-over-mitchell-20180918

The Bulls and the English RFUhave reportedly come to an agreement regarding the services of John Mitchell.

Netwerk24 reported on Monday that Mitchell's departure from the Bulls is now official.

The Afrikaans publication stated that, after more than a month of negotiations, the RFU agreed to pay the Bulls compensation of between R3 million and R5 million for releasing Mitchell early from his contract.

The report added that Mitchell could join England as their new defence coach as early as Sunday.

I don't get why the RFU is on this mission to keep on poaching our coaches just as soon as they settle in, and then to make it even worse, they are smiling with the settlement agreements because of the Rand being so weak to the Pound.

What's been the general feeling about Mitchell at the bulls?

a mixed bag really. But most people agreed that it's just too early for him to go, as the structures he put in place are only now starting to work, and all the other coaches have been saying so many positive things about him, even this morning on a local radio station, some of the players said they are sad to see him go.

But this article regarding his coaching has made a lot of people sit up and take notice that maybe he's not such a good coach, but more of an administrator:

https://www.sport24.co.za/Columnist...he-unhealthy-obsession-with-mitchell-20180705

I personally think that it would be unfair to judge him just on one Super Rugby tournament, especially after the Bulls poor performance last year (although the results doesn't seem to show much change in the win/loss% column).

So now that he's gone who comes in? The only publicized applicant is Jimmy Stonehouse who currently coaches the Pumas, so I assume it'll probably be him. Not a bad choice considering what he's managed in the CC.

So now that he's gone who comes in? The only publicized applicant is Jimmy Stonehouse who currently coaches the Pumas, so I assume it'll probably be him. Not a bad choice considering what he's managed in the CC.

I think Stonehouse will jump at the opportunity to coach the Bulls instead of the Pumas. He was afterall at Waterkloof Hoërskool before he coached the senior sides and I'm sure he has some family ties still in SnorCity. I'm also pretty sure that the Bulls will use the money they are getting from RFU, to pay the Pumas if they want compensation.

But then again, the rumour mill will only now start to turn now that it's official that Mitchell is leaving. But it certainly is nice to see Stonehouse putting his hand up.

PDivvy is busy coaching Zimbabwe, and I highly doubt that the Bulls will ever consider him...

with boyd leaving the canes it was rumoured that plumtree wanted to get mitchell in to coach the wellington lions looking to get him in as an assistant coach at the canes
he got voted down
i cant see mitchell ever getting a coaching job in NZ

Ah yes Thelo you're such a wonderful administrator for your club
https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Cur...d-after-halting-mitchell-appointment-20180919

To me it has to be Jimmy Stonehouse, he has wanted to coach the Bulls for a long time and now with old idiot Barend van Graan leaving the time is right.

I'm wondering if the Bulls are using stalling tactics to rather appoint the CEO first, and then let him shake things up and appoint the new coach. But yes, I agree, Stonehouse is the obvious and most favoured choice...

Latest posts