Joining rugby team at school

schwy

Academy Player
Country Flag
Canada
Club or Nation
Hong Kong
Hello everyone !
I've liked rugby since I was grade 3 because it was my first time approaching rugby and i found it really interesting , our school let us play Tag rugby in P.E. classes. I've also been to the Hong Kong Sevens for 3 times and it was tremendous and fascinating.
I've have some basic skills of playing rugby but the last time I've played rugby was almost 3 years ago when i was still in my elementary's school female rugby team .
Now I'm in my freshman year of high school, I don't have any friends at all and I would think that why not joining the rugby team? I might meet new people too, also I get to exercise, it's a win-win situation.
The school team sign up didn't start until spring because that's the rugby season in here ; I have some questions :
I am actually really short for my age, I'm 153cm and my weight is 58kg, I also wear glasses . I've seen the IRB rules saying you can't wear glasses in matches because it's very dangerous and accidents might happen. I cannot see without having my glasses on, and I don't think my parents like the idea of wearing contacts . Can you wear sports-special-made goggles at matches? Also I don't really mind about the injuries but my parents didn't really like the idea of me joining rugby team, they said it's a violent and dangerous sports and I would get push around by people because of my height. I feel really sad when they said that because all I wanted to do is just to join the rugby team.
Anyways, thank you for your time! :)

This is from the RFU website, but it may still apply in your area as I imagine the rules will be similar:

Players may wear specially designed and manufactured 'goggles' on the understanding that the child's optician certifies that:

'They allow the player to have properly corrected vision and do not substantially restrict any normal field of vision. They do not constitute a physical danger to the wearer or other players.'

Damaged goggles may present a greater risk of injury to the wearer or any other player and therefore this must also be taken into account.

Oh, actually, it seems that only applies to children up to ages 12 years old. Anyway, I would advise you see if you can find the rules for your area as they may still allow them.

First of all: Welcome to the forum :)

Your height/weight shouldn't matter, rugby players are all shapes and sizes!

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to wear glasses (or goggles) on the rugby pitch (as bobbilycious alluded to above). If your parents aren't keen on you wearing contacts all of the time it could be worth it trying to convince them to allow you at least one pair, and use them solely for sport? I know a few people that don't like contact lenses, but have some just for when they can wear their glasses.

Latest posts