• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jones v Hook

O

ollybarkley

So.. who do you all like

Jones v Hook?

I am a big supporter of Jones, but that could be because I am like him in playing style, stiff, rigid, cool, composed, and all about consistency and level-headed decision-making. I also think his kicking game is better and his defence.

Jones looks like he is bow-legged to me. Personally, I'd still stick with Jones. Hook was such a promising young talent when he burst onto the scene. Comparing him to Carter, and saying that he could surpass Carter.

But the past season, he's been lukewarm.

i prefer hook but he can also play in the centres right?
[/b]

Yes, he can, which they have used in the past. Both have actually played 12 before, although it's a much better option to have Hook there, as he is more of a running threat.

But the problem with that arrangement is there is a guy named Henson or something that people really like who also plays 12... but I'd be happy to see him play 13 to allow Jones and Hook to both start the match. Not a huge Shanklin fan myself.

Not a huge Shanklin fan myself.
[/b]
Me neither... but Hook is a waste of space at 12... The sooner Lee Thomas gets in the Welsh team the better....

<div class='quotemain'>
Not a huge Shanklin fan myself.
[/b]
Me neither... but Hook is a waste of space at 12... The sooner Lee Thomas gets in the Welsh team the better....
[/b][/quote]

Wait a minute... are you allowed to write that, being Welsh and all. I thought all Welsh people loved both Henson and Hook equally, and it was only Jones that could be ridiculed in public.

Wait a minute... are you allowed to write that, being Welsh and all. I thought all Welsh people loved both Henson and Hook equally, and it was only Jones that could be ridiculed in public.
[/b]
Have you been reading the Western Mail? <_< According to them, Hook is the next Barry John and Henson is a descendant of Jesus Christ Himself; performing miracles and all that.

Must be where I read it....;-)

And Stephen Jones is a direct descendent of doubting Thomas.

Don't rate Shanklin at all, think he's a bald Tindall; slow, no ball skills, just there to plug up holes defensively and run hard and straight.

Think a midfield of Jones/Hook/Henson would really light people up.

At the moment Jones is the safer option at 10. Hook is great if we are struggling or want to go attacking.

Hook has done well at 12 but he needs to be at 10. I think in a few years Hook will be first choice at 10, but Jones is more well rounded player. Jones can read the game far better & he commands the game at 10. Currently Hook is far too quiet, he needs to start commanding the game.

At the moment Jones is the safer option at 10. Hook is great if we are struggling or want to go attacking.

Hook has done well at 12 but he needs to be at 10. I think in a few years Hook will be first choice at 10, but Jones is more well rounded player. Jones can read the game far better & he commands the game at 10. Currently Hook is far too quiet, he needs to start commanding the game.
[/b]

That's pretty much my idea too. Hook is the future, but I still think Jones is the present... and the teacher for Hook. He has truly learned how to maximize the talent he has, and if he could impart that to Hook, then Hook will become a true rival to Dan Carter as a world class 10.

Nah, Stephen Jones no longer poses a threat at international lever, IMO.
The guy's not got the speed, he hasn't got as good a boot as Hook and his running game isn't as effective.
However, Hook does let the team down slightly when there's no commanding scrum half beside him. He lacks the judgement and game control that Stephen Jones excells in - but game control alone will mean Jones will be heavily exploited by the quality SH teams.
Hook is the present and future.
Jones is the past.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Aug 22 2008, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Have you been reading the Western Mail? <_< According to them, Hook is the next Barry John and Henson is a descendant of Jesus Christ Himself; performing miracles and all that.[/b]

I ask you to prove the Western Mail wrong, if you please!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Oct 8 2008, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Aug 22 2008, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you been reading the Western Mail? <_< According to them, Hook is the next Barry John and Henson is a descendant of Jesus Christ Himself; performing miracles and all that.[/b]

I ask you to prove the Western Mail wrong, if you please!
[/b][/quote]
Henson:
Gavin-Henson-Ospreys.jpg

Jesus:
2006_03_27_jesus_loves_you.jpg

Goddamnit, I do see a resemblance! D:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Oct 8 2008, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I heard that Charlie Hodgeson has a Welsh uncle somewhere...[/b]
Must be related to Nicky Robinson. That'd explain their excellent distribution skills and cack-all else...
EDIT: AND IT'S 'HODGSON'! D:

Who cares, the guy won't even be mentioned when Sale find a decent number ten in their Academy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Oct 8 2008, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Who cares, the guy won't even be mentioned when Sale find a decent number ten in their Academy.[/b]
We could always shift McAlister to 10 and have Thomas and Tait in the centre, Lamont at fullback and Cueto and ??? on the wing.
Now if we just fill that ???, we can stop having to have Thomas or McAlister covering the 10 channel while Hodgson assumes fetus position telling himself it'll all be over soon 10 metres away from where a decent 10 should be...
I blame him for three of our tries conceded against London Irish.

On topic: Based on Magners form, Hook would need to be the no. 10. It's just he's way too unreliable on the international stage. He's more likely to have a depressingly average game than he is a class showing. :(

In my opinion i think Hook is more reliable internationally than he is regionally.
He steps up his game for Wales and he's cool as a cucumber in the big situations.

Ospreys fans, is Dan Biggar actually good or did he make it into the Welsh team to fill up some space? (Iv'e never seen him play)

Latest posts