• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jonny Wilkinson and The Dorset Destroyers

DorsetDestroyer

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Montpellier
We were invited (The Dorset Destroyers Wheelchair Rugby Club) to the opening of Dorset Orthopaedics new unit and Summer Fair in Ringwood on Sunday July 31st. We did tasters for you weird able body peeps (You look like freaks with your 2 arms and 2 legs!!!!) :p:D:D and we also did a demo. match.

Jonny Wilkinson was invited to open the event, and we managed to persuade him to have a go at it.

He is such a gent. he chatted away with us as though he was just a supporter, it was bizarre. He was so genuine and I think he loved the fact that we are real grassroots stuff. We're the club that players come to and we don't take things very seriously (Except on court) we have very little money as we are self funded with no sponsors, and we just go round having a bloody good time :D:D

Other clubs have sponsors or are backed by Universities or Rugby Clubs, but we just tootle along and when we're skint (Always) lol then we do a fundraiser for things like balls (Sports Direct finest, 2 for £7, but they may not always be the shape they're supposed to be) :rolleyes::D:D

Anyway, here is a video of Jonny playing with The Dorset Destroyers - I forgot to mention we were also mentioned on BBC Radio Solent and BBC South Today who showed part of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx9o2Tx1Clg

Feel that anything I say could be taken as being patronizing but that is fantastic and as good an innovation as walking football for the older guys - like me!!

Latest posts