• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Joost van der Westhuizen loses battle with Motor Neuron Disease (MND)

Rest in peace Joost van der Westhuizen

An amazing player, a tragic end.

Thanks for the memories,

RIP.

RIP - one of the best scrumhalves I've seen play the game since I started following the game.

One of those players who redefined his position.

A true legend of the game and a key man in what I consider the biggest event to happen to the sport of rugby.

An inspiration on and off the field

RIP Joost thank you for memories.

RIP.

Did magical stuff on field but was even better off it. Was hit with MND and not only dealt with it superbly but awareness he raised was superb.

Local Celebs are paying tribute to Joost using the twitter handle #RIPjoost

I think every rugby loving person in SA is now mourning.

Extremely sad news, however I'm glad that he can finally be at some peace. He has been an amazing and courageous man who has raised awareness of this terrible, debilitating disease. Rest in Peace.

Last edited:
Such sad news. I was 9 for the 97 Lions tour and remember watching the games highlights and it was the first time I remember thinking "wow what a good player".

RIP

So sad to leave us at such an early age. I remember watching the highlights of the '95 RWC final when he stopped the unstoppable Jonah - and now we've lost both of them
Mike

Condolences to his family and friends and supporters.
A fantastic player in his time, a live wire who could unlock defences on his own.
He was the kind of player we all hoped Justin Marshall would become, but Joost was a class above and beyond.
He was the best international half back of his era.
One of the greatest half backs of all time.
A leader and a creator, and for his opposition a tormentor.
A great credit to the Springboks and south African rugby and a fine man.
RIP.

Incredibly sad news, he was probably the most consistent performer in world rugby for a decade during my formative years. Maybe the best scrum half I have witnessed live (& while I've been alive... born in '79).

No one player seems to have single-handedly crushed my beloved Wales as many times as Joost did but I genuinely only hold fond memories. A true legend.

Last edited:
A very good friend of mine died of MND a couple of years ago. She was only 42; it was heartbreaking watching her deteriorate, over the last two years of her life, knowing all the time that her mind was fully aware of what was going on.

MND is a horrible illness.

R.I.P. Joost. The suffering is over.

Hell of a player. One of the best scrum halves of all time, along with Gareth Edwards.

In the top 3 all time great scrum halves. Probably the best I've seen. 45 is no age RIP.

Latest posts