• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Joubert - The explanation

So, like England's World Cup campaign if was all Farrell's fault.

Feels like the story is being back filled to fit the outcome a bit.

Joubert is a very likeable guy off the field. You can see that in the interactions when he's involved with charity events or as a pundit on a magazine show.

Hakuna Matata

100%. I met Craig once in 2011 when he was in Timaru for a Crusaders match (v Blues?) and had the chnace of a short chat with him (as part of a small group) about a number of things. I found him to be genuine, affable and very sociable, with no hint of an ego at all.

I don't believe for a moment that this is some kind of PR-speak.

Good piece, Joubert does come off well and I understand his explanation. Not sure I like the paper shoehorning a list of his "controversies" in his profile, could have listed his achievements in refereeing

Good piece, Joubert does come off well and I understand his explanation. Not sure I like the paper shoehorning a list of his "controversies" in his profile, could have listed his achievements in refereeing

OK then, well lets have a look at them

[TEXTAREA]►Angered France with his handling of 2011 World Cup final. Accused of "not wanting France to win" by Dimitri Yachvili. [/TEXTAREA]
Well, that is just the losing side being the losing side. The Aussies were not happy with Nigel Owens in the 2015 Final, the English were not happy with Alain Rolland or TMO Stuart Dickinson in the 2007 Final, New Zealand went to town on Wayne Barnes after their exit in 2007. Nothing new here then.

[TEXTAREA]►Labelled 'shocking' by Australian commentator Phil Kearns for his handling of a Super 12 game between the Highlanders and Waratahs. [/TEXTAREA]
Two words... Phil Kearns... 'nuff said!!

[TEXTAREA]►Criticised for handling of rucks in New Zealand's win in England in 2013.[/TEXTAREA]
Tell me which referee has not been criticised for their handling of Rucks/Offside Lines/Scrums/Tackles/Mauls (delete as applicable).

[TEXTAREA]►Awarded last-minute penalty against Richie McCaw that allowed the Waratahs to kick for goal and win the 2014 Super League final against Crusaders 33-32.[/textarea]
Ahh at last, a real error, to which he admitted...http://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/joubert-apologised-for-error---crusaders-1739857

[TEXTAREA]►Erroneously gave a last-minute penalty to Australia in the 2015 RWC quarter-final against Scotland which the Wallabies converted to win 35-34. Ran off the pitch at the end of the match without talking to the players.[/TEXTAREA]
And a second real error, to which he has also admitted

That is two recorded real errors, both of which, had they been made at any time in the match other than very close to the end, would probably have gone unnoticed and uncommented on by players and media alike

In 21 years of being a referee, two glaring errors. How many players could go through a 21 year career and commit only two recorded errors?

OK then, well lets have a look at them

[TEXTAREA]►Angered France with his handling of 2011 World Cup final. Accused of "not wanting France to win" by Dimitri Yachvili. [/TEXTAREA]
Well, that is just the losing side being the losing side. The Aussies were not happy with Nigel Owens in the 2015 Final, the English were not happy with Alain Rolland or TMO Stuart Dickinson in the 2007 Final, New Zealand went to town on Wayne Barnes after their exit in 2007. Nothing new here then.

[TEXTAREA]►Labelled 'shocking' by Australian commentator Phil Kearns for his handling of a Super 12 game between the Highlanders and Waratahs. [/TEXTAREA]
Two words... Phil Kearns... 'nuff said!!

[TEXTAREA]►Criticised for handling of rucks in New Zealand's win in England in 2013.[/TEXTAREA]
Tell me which referee has not been criticised for their handling of Rucks/Offside Lines/Scrums/Tackles/Mauls (delete as applicable).

[TEXTAREA]►Awarded last-minute penalty against Richie McCaw that allowed the Waratahs to kick for goal and win the 2014 Super League final against Crusaders 33-32.[/textarea]
Ahh at last, a real error, to which he admitted...http://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/joubert-apologised-for-error---crusaders-1739857

[TEXTAREA]►Erroneously gave a last-minute penalty to Australia in the 2015 RWC quarter-final against Scotland which the Wallabies converted to win 35-34. Ran off the pitch at the end of the match without talking to the players.[/TEXTAREA]
And a second real error, to which he has also admitted

That is two recorded real errors, both of which, had they been made at any time in the match other than very close to the end, would probably have gone unnoticed and uncommented on by players and media alike

In 21 years of being a referee, two glaring errors. How many players could go through a 21 year career and commit only two recorded errors?

Exactly, and thats my point. Would have been much better to list his milestones and big games he's reffed rather than list those.

Latest posts