• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Juan Smith forced into retirement

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/.../Former-Springbok-Juan-Smith-forced-to-retire

Former Springbok flank and 2007 World Cup winner Juan Smith has been forced to retire after a recurrence of an Achilles injury.
Smith told the Volksblad newspaper on Monday that he had been forced to end his career after a recurrence of the injury that had sidelined him for two years.
Smith made his return for the Cheetahs in a warm-up game just over a week ago but hurt himself again in Saturday's game against the Bulls.
Volksblad says Smith made the decision to give up after the results of a scan on Monday.
The 31-year-old loose forward played 69 tests for South Africa and was one of the outstanding performers in the World Cup triumph in France.
He captained the Springboks in his last game for his country in 2010.

Very sad to hear.

3ps5zq.jpg

I still think he's the best blindside flanker we've seen in 10 years time.

What he used to bring on the field, nobody knows, we just witnessed every team he played for changing massively.

Sad sad news!

Ah man. Crap news.

Best wishes to the man after rugby, a class act.

I had a little cry about this earlier.

Sad news. The Bokke really missed him the last 2 years. He was a shoe-in WRT the as yet unresolved captaincy issue (JdV just a place-filler ATM) never mind the resolve and uncompromising abrasiveness (yet disciplined) he brought to the game. I also really take my hat off to the man that he stuck with a struggling Cheetahs side (okay they did win a couple of Currie cup ***les in his time) right throughout when there was a lot more money to be made abroad.

Yster, ons gaan jou mis op 'n rugbyveld!

Latest posts