• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: Australia vs. England [1st Test] (11/06/2016)

Parling gave us three and a bit seasons of high energy, low error rugby in the loose. He was never a power house but he got through a mountain of work and was one of the few England forwards that understood the idea of carrying at a gap. He was also one of the few that understood giving away dumb penalties with a dumb idea. In short, very far from useless. I'm happy we've moved on but he was a damn fine servant and did just fine with our scrum before the training camp from hell, even when partnered with Lawes.

Incidentally, it also took a very special level of incompetence to take a lineout that had functioned perfectly adequate up to 2015 and then turn it into absolute crap all year regardless of who was involved.

Still, as Toby says, lets wait and see. Although I think anything less than a very close loss with a very credible performance will see a lot of critical questions raised. Personally I'm not so much trusting him as keeping an open mind as to whether he can be trusted, albeit with a lean towards 'Yes' at present.

Parling's got a really bad reputation now, for some reason.
He was VERY good when he first burst on the scene for England, and was excellent for the Lions as well.
His form's dropped away a bit now but he could still do a job if called upon.
The kind of player that's not going to make many highlights reals but his lineout, and unseen, work is top drawer.

Parling's got a really bad reputation now, for some reason.
He was VERY good when he first burst on the scene for England, and was excellent for the Lions as well.
His form's dropped away a bit now but he could still do a job if called upon.
The kind of player that's not going to make many highlights reals but his lineout, and unseen, work is top drawer.

When he was in an England shirt I thought he was great. As I said before, I never really thought he was anything special in the loose, but his set piece (line outs in particular) were exceptional. Sadly though, his time has passed and with Lees and Welch both on the rise at Chiefs, it's questionable as to whether he should even start for them. Agree with you though, that he was a great servant to our country (and to the Lions) while he was in his prime.

Don't think either of Raskell are capable of outmuscling, to be honest.
Pocock is a bbeeaasstt

I'd feel much better if Nowell was starting :(

For all of his flaws, I think that Haskell is fully capable of our muscling. I think it's just about the only aspect of his game.

Agree on Nowell though, leaving him out just seems wrong.

This "Welcome" is really weird, have they done this before?

For all of his flaws, I think that Haskell is fully capable of our muscling. I think it's just about the only aspect of his game.
In the gym, maybe, but he's really ineffecient with his size/strength in a game.
I hope you're right, though!
It's getting to be a bit of a cliched statement now, but to beat Aus you need to handle Pocock and co.

Good to see a Biarritz old boy playing at 15 for Stralia!

Dane was a great lad and will be long remembered in the Basque Country for his supreme efforts on behalf of an ultimately relegated team!

Odd for coaches to be lined up with team...

Who's the old bird?

I thought it's was a nice touch. Really reminded both teams the "history" of Australia I.e. Who was there first.

At first I thought she was going to sing the national anthems. :).

This "Welcome" is really weird, have they done this before?

In the gym, maybe, but he's really ineffecient with his size/strength in a game.
I hope you're right, though!
It's getting to be a bit of a cliched statement now, but to beat Aus you need to handle Pocock and co.

He out muscled him a little bit there...

Latest posts