• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: Australia vs. England [2nd Test] (18/06/2016)

[h=3]Wallabies team to face England in the second Test[/h] 1. James Slipper - Reds (75 Tests)
2. Stephen Moore (c) - Brumbies (103 Tests)
3. Sekope Kepu -Waratahs (64 Tests)
4. Rory Arnold - Brumbies (1 Test)
5. Sam Carter - Brumbies (12 Tests)
6. Scott Fardy - Brumbies (31 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper (vc) - Waratahs (52 Tests)
8. Sean McMahon - Rebels (7 Tests)
9. Nick Phipps - Waratahs (40 Tests)
10. Bernard Foley - Waratahs (28 Tests)
11. Rob Horne (vc) - Waratahs (30 Tests)
12. Samu Kerevi - Reds (1 Test)
13. Tevita Kuridrani - Brumbies (32 Tests)
14. Dane Haylett-Petty - Western Force (1 Test)
15. Israel Folau - Waratahs (39 Tests)
[h=3]Replacements (Three to be omitted)[/h] Tatafu Polota-Nau - Waratahs (62 Tests)
Toby Smith - Rebels (3 Tests)
Greg Holmes - Reds (25 Tests)
James Horwill - Harlequins (62 Tests)
Dean Mumm - Waratahs (45 Tests)
Wycliff Palu - Waratahs (57 Tests)
Ben McCalman - Force (47 Tests)
Liam Gill - Reds (15 Tests)
Nick Frisby - Reds (1 Test)
Christian Leali'ifano - Brumbies (17 Tests)
Luke Morahan - Force (1 Test)

Link: http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/06/15/05/06/wallabies-vs-england-second-test-team

So an former Aussie pro accuses England props of cheating and then Australia drop both props.

So an former Aussie pro accuses England props of cheating and then Australia drop both props.
I wouldn't loose sleep other it ex-Aussie RU players coaches always accuse us of cheating in an area where we are better than them since the beginning of time. Even Jones is asking when are rolling Campese out to have his usual shot at us.

Could equally be Goode or Burrell though.

Honestly I think it doesn't make a jot of difference unless there's an injury the player will likely play 5-10 mins at most with Ford/Farrell on the field and Nowell on the bench its just a question of how Eddie thinks he'll shift things around once they come on with two injuries and where Nowell provides the least amount of cover which would likely be center or full-back and there's plenty of full-back options so Goode's unlikely. They've trained with Burrell as a starter though so he might get the nod as a back-up center.

- - - Updated - - -

Mind the news was saying T'eo would be starting and Itoje @ 6 for last weekend.
Aye but it would genuinely shocking if Jones didn't do this. Last week I thought it was wrong call and it was proven in the match but you could understand why Jones started Farrell. This time though I would be less likely to understand the decision making behind doing so.

- - - Updated - - -

As a side note I wonder how much Jones was sold on the decision to play Farrell/Burrell and how much of it was down to pressure. We laud him for decision to make the change so early but the fact he made it made it suggests he was never utterly 100% on the idea.

I don't see what the harm in putting Goode at full back would be, is he that bad internationally? Seems pretty solid for sarries, certainly would be better than brown at the moment. I would like to see Watson at full back though as he would be much better on the counter attack. At the moment it seems like brown is not good in defence or attack

I don't see what the harm in putting Goode at full back would be, is he that bad internationally? Seems pretty solid for sarries, certainly would be better than brown at the moment. I would like to see Watson at full back though as he would be much better on the counter attack. At the moment it seems like brown is not good in defence or attack

Some players perform better when they play internationally, Goode plays worse. He is a bit like Ashton, they work in the Sarries system but are pretty dire outside it.

So the team seems more or less to be a foregone conclusion. Can't see much changing in the pack, a 6/2 split on the bench seems most likely and probably is the right call. Question marks over Clifford and Te'o and who will win over Slade or Daly for a bench spot, and I think most agree that Goode, as always, seems to have no place.

So the question now is, can we do it? Do we have what it takes to turn over a hurt and vengeance seeking Aussie team a second time. Personally I say yes. The team clearly has self belief and a lot of character, and there's also some real talent. I dot see this being so high scoring, but the boys can grind this Aussie side down, ford and Faz can kick them to death, and JJ, Watson, Nowell and Yarde all ready to pounce on mistakes.

It's gonna be a stonker and I can't wait.

So the team seems more or less to be a foregone conclusion. Can't see much changing in the pack, a 6/2 split on the bench seems most likely and probably is the right call. Question marks over Clifford and Te'o and who will win over Slade or Daly for a bench spot, and I think most agree that Goode, as always, seems to have no place.

So the question now is, can we do it? Do we have what it takes to turn over a hurt and vengeance seeking Aussie team a second time. Personally I say yes. The team clearly has self belief and a lot of character, and there's also some real talent. I dot see this being so high scoring, but the boys can grind this Aussie side down, ford and Faz can kick them to death, and JJ, Watson, Nowell and Yarde all ready to pounce on mistakes.

It's gonna be a stonker and I can't wait.

I'd go with Slade. Anyone other than him means that you lack either 10 or centre cover, in Slade you have both. Sure, Daly also covers wing and 15, but JJ can shift to wing and Watson and Nowell can both cover FB, so no worries there.

I'd go with Slade. Anyone other than him means that you lack either 10 or centre cover, in Slade you have both. Sure, Daly also covers wing and 15, but JJ can shift to wing and Watson and Nowell can both cover FB, so no worries there.
Slade gives you bench cover for 10,12 & 13; and means moving JJ out to wing in the event of any back 3 injury
Daly gives you bench cover for 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15; and means moving Farrell to FH in the event of Ford getting hurt
If you go with a 6/2 split; you pretty much have to go with Daly on the bench

Slade gives you bench cover for 10,12 & 13; and means moving JJ out to wing in the event of any back 3 injury
Daly gives you bench cover for 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15; and means moving Farrell to FH in the event of Ford getting hurt
If you go with a 6/2 split; you pretty much have to go with Daly on the bench

Does Daly really cover 12 though? I know he can play there but whether he should is a very different question. I dunno, it's very close between them and I wouldn't object to it being Daly. The idea of having no 10 cover on the bench just scares me, even if you do have 2 on the pitch. I also think that having no real 12 cover would be unwise, as if Ford or Faz is injured who goes there? If I was picking the team, I'd go for Slade, but it's a very tight call.

Ford starts as expected and Nowell replaces Yarde. Must stronger looking bench with JG back in and a back-row option....

England: 15 Mike Brown, 14 Anthony Watson, 13 Jonathan Joseph, 12 Owen Farrell, 11 Jack Nowell, 10 George Ford, 9 Ben Youngs; 1 Mako Vunipola, 2 Dylan Hartley (c), 3 Dan Cole, 4 Maro Itoje, 5 George Kruis, 6 Chris Robshaw, 7 James Haskell, 8 Billy Vunipola

Replacements: 16 Jamie George, 17 Matt Mullan, 18 Paul Hill, 19 Joe Launchbury, 20 Courtney Lawes, 21 Jack Clifford, 22 Danny Care, 23 Elliot Daly

ClD44HqXIAA0S7y.jpg

Ford to start, Burrell for Clifford (takes Ford bench spot). Nowell to start, Yarde for Daly (takes Nowell bench spot). George to bench.

Still not convinced by two locks on the bench....

ClD44HqXIAA0S7y.jpg

Ford to start, Burrell for Clifford (takes Ford bench spot). Nowell to start, Yarde for Daly (takes Nowell bench spot). George to bench.

Still not convinced by two locks on the bench....

I guess it's all about having enough fresh legs in the pack to relentlessly smash them for 80 minutes. It's the gameplan and he's fully committing to it, fair play.

I think this is probably the best team we could have put out. The ford/Faz axis is clearly working and I'm glad to see Daly on the bench. I know he may not cover the positions that Slade does, but I think he poses more threat them Slade and is more likely to make more of an impact with his pace, although it does leave us with no real cover at 12.

So if Faz gets taken out who covers that position? The only thing I can assume is Daly As I'm not sure you'd want to shuffle any other of the back line in there. I suppose JJ, but would he be any better than Daly?

Good to see Clifford on the bench, hopefully a chap that can make a real impact.

Latest posts