• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: Australia vs. England [2nd Test] (18/06/2016)

I don't see why anything's being made of this, it's rugby. Even if he had thrown a bit of dirt in his face, so what? It was just a bit of scrum warfare. If people think that's bad, they should see what goes on in the front row...

That's my take on it.

I don't see why anything's being made of this, it's rugby. Even if he had thrown a bit of dirt in his face, so what? It was just a bit of scrum warfare. If people think that's bad, they should see what goes on in the front row...
I hate the scrum altogether especially when it resets. I know you forwards love your leg driving contest and are use to all the "dirty" stuff that goes on in there but I'd like to see the scrum gone! Yeah I said it and what? It's a boring part of the game.

Now that I have seen the game - that pitch was pretty awful - reminded me of Murrayfield with its worm infestation a year or so ago. How on earth can you expect scrums to perform decently on such a surface. On, and on scrums - fascinated by Phipps tactics at about 27 minutes when he stuck his foot into the scrum and flicked the ball out from between his first and second rows - last time I looked that was illegal. Thankfully, nothing happened as a result of it. Reminds me of Falateu's similar trick in the 6 nations in 2015 when as a No 8 he isn't suppose to pick the ball up from in front of him within the scrum and dive for the line and score! Thankfully England won despite that bit of cheating.
Have to admit that I hadn't realised that England won't be playing the ABs this autumn - great shame.
Mike

That's my take on it.

If he picked up a handful of sand and threw it in someone's face he should be banned for a week if nothing but to prove a point . That's not something you can do accidentally, however he didn't do it so no need to talk about it anymore

I hate the scrum altogether especially when it resets. I know you forwards love your leg driving contest and are use to all the "dirty" stuff that goes on in there but I'd like to see the scrum gone! Yeah I said it and what? It's a boring part of the game.
Don't agree -it is an integral part of Union - but I agree that having scrums reset time and time again is probably the worst possibly advert of the game. Union is an intensely physical game and the scrum is the very embodiment of the fact. The current problem is that it has become a 'penalty guesswork' exercise. Perhaps we should change the laws so that there are NO penalties from scrums - just if the ref isn't happy it gets reset. Surely then even front rows would get bored eventually?
Mike

If he picked up a handful of sand and threw it in someone's face he should be banned for a week if nothing but to prove a point . That's not something you can do accidentally, however he didn't do it so no need to talk about it anymore

I have to disagree, in rugby far worse than throwing a bit of sand at someone goes on, there's absolutely no need for any punishment whatsoever. The dirty stuff like that is what makes the game, it's like when players used to scrape with their feet in the ruck. As long is there is no real danger posed to the person it's happening to, then who gives a toss, play on.

How dare you sir, scrums are the only thing props can look forward to.

Don't agree -it is an integral part of Union - but I agree that having scrums reset time and time again is probably the worst possibly advert of the game. Union is an intensely physical game and the scrum is the very embodiment of the fact. The current problem is that it has become a 'penalty guesswork' exercise. Perhaps we should change the laws so that there are NO penalties from scrums - just if the ref isn't happy it gets reset. Surely then even front rows would get bored eventually?
Mike

Yep definitely take the penalties away. Reffs are not scrummagers and yet they're to pick out who's cheating in the scrums??

Mike

Props lack the intelligence to be bored.

I once played a particularly horrible game where due to appalling weather conditions and both hookers tending to kick it back out, we probably went through about a scrum a minute. Genuinely the worst thing in the world.

The scrum is an integral part of Union... but so is masochism.

How dare you sir, scrums are the only thing props can look forward to.

I'll happily take away their sunshine if I could. However as ugly as the scrum is, one of the beauties of rugby is that it's a sport for all shapes and sizes. Take away scrums and forwards would just be tall for the line outs. If the scrums crashes the reffs should just play on, it's the resetting and the penalty guesswork that makes it all a mess.

I'll happily take away their sunshine if I could. However as ugly as the scrum is, one of the beauties of rugby is that it's a sport for all shapes and sizes. Take away scrums and forwards would just be tall for the line outs. If the scrums crashes the reffs should just play on, it's the resetting and the penalty guesswork that makes it all a mess.

I can agree with that. I think instead of penalties there should be free kicks.

To be fair what have the NZ done of note recently?

OHHHH Beat Wales WOW, that is really really difficult to do, England only manged to trash them with our 2nds/3rds team.

Basically the Rankings are flawed England ATM are the bestest team is the whole wide worlds.

Amazing, simply amazing

Haskell and Nowell are set to miss the 3rd test. So no chance of Nowell/Watson replacing Brown at fullback. It'll be interesting to see if Jones starts Clifford or if he starts Launch/Lawes and moves Itoje to 6. I'd like to see Clifford start with Harrison on the bench.

I can agree with that. I think instead of penalties there should be free kicks.

Hmm, I agree somewhat, but part of having a good legal scrum makes the contest all the better. If the other team can't keep up and keeps infringing with no worries about conceding a penalty, then it becomes a mess.

Hmm, I agree somewhat, but part of having a good legal scrum makes the contest all the better. If the other team can't keep up and keeps infringing with no worries about conceding a penalty, then it becomes a mess.

What about after you concede 2/3 free kicks it turns into a penalty and a warning. After that a card is given.

I'm not sure about it. 215 tackles is an unhuman number for international level. You need more than a week for a full recovery. This is the kind of game that limited your fitness in a World Cup, like Australia vs Wales in the last WC.

Australia has the fitness advantage for the last game, I'm not sure about their minds. You can't make 400 tackles in 2 games in a row, the English defense will be less tough next week.

So our only hope is England are tired?! Good luck with that. This is a team who re fired up and clinical. They now know for certain that they can contain anything you can thrown at them and with the pressure off a little in the final game will have added confidence to attack, where as the Aussies will have all the pressure on them. Get whitewashed and made to look like fools in their own back yard, especially after all the chat given before the series.

On top of which we are yet to have unleashed Clifford, Harrison, George has hardly had a run, Mullun, the list goes on and that's just the forwards. Then there's Te'o who might get a run at some tired Aussie back line and start smashing up some of your midfield.

There will be no easy ride for Australia next week. Just lots and lots of pain.

So our only hope is England are tired?! Good luck with that. This is a team who re fired up and clinical. They now know for certain that they can contain anything you can thrown at them and with the pressure off a little in the final game will have added confidence to attack, where as the Aussies will have all the pressure on them. Get whitewashed and made to look like fools in their own back yard, especially after all the chat given before the series.

On top of which we are yet to have unleashed Clifford, Harrison, George has hardly had a run, Mullun, the list goes on and that's just the forwards. Then there's Te'o who might get a run at some tired Aussie back line and start smashing up some of your midfield.

There will be no easy ride for Australia next week. Just lots and lots of pain.

Sounds like the headline for the next Expendables movie.

I have to disagree, in rugby far worse than throwing a bit of sand at someone goes on, there's absolutely no need for any punishment whatsoever. The dirty stuff like that is what makes the game, it's like when players used to scrape with their feet in the ruck. As long is there is no real danger posed to the person it's happening to, then who gives a toss, play on.

You can loose you sight actually so it would have been a massive issue.

Furthermore there isn't much dirty tactics left in the professional game compared to what there used to be and good riddance too. This is a sport but a white collar boxing match.

You can loose you sight actually so it would have been a massive issue.

Furthermore there isn't much dirty tactics left in the professional game compared to what there used to be and good riddance too. This is a sport but a white collar boxing match.

This is a pointless discussion, Hooper didn't even throw the dirt in his face. However, I can quite comfortably say that if he had thrown it, there was absolutely no risk in regards to Haskell going blind. I've gotten dirt/sand in my eyes before, as I'm sure have most of us, and nothing's come of it. Saying he could've gone blind is ridiculous. I'm also sure that Haskell would've closed his eyes when he saw it going towards his face.

In this hypothetical situation, there would be 0 punishment needed. I agree with the game being safe, but there's no point punishing scrum tactics if they aren't dangerous. Which that wasn't. Simply Hooper trying to get 1 up on his opponent.

Last edited:
I hear Nowell is out for the next game as is Hask. That's disappointing although I feel like we've got plenty of cover.

Latest posts