• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: Australia vs. England [3rd Test] (25/06/2016)

I am not a fan of Skelton at all, but might be a clever call in the circumstances.

Would definitely rather be playing against Kerevi than Toomia too, definitely the right call there.

Guessing Will Skelton at 4 is an attempt to shore up the scrum? Cuts down their line out quite severely though.

I am not a fan of Skelton at all, but might be a clever call in the circumstances.

Would definitely rather be playing against Kerevi than Toomia too, definitely the right call there.

When Cheika selects Skelton its purely to use him to batter the opposition into submission. He takes a LOT of stopping if they use him right (one on ones where he usually injures the player trying to tackle him). Usually skelton has a brain explosion or runs out of puff before that happens though.

And from what iv seen he makes no difference to the scrum whatsoever. Just makes the wallabies scrum heavier on the stats.

Last edited:
When Cheika selects Skelton its purely to use him to batter the opposition into submission. He takes a LOT of stopping if they use him right (one on ones where he usually injures the player trying to tackle him). Usually skelton has a brain explosion or runs out of puff before that happens though.

And from what iv seen he makes no difference to the scrum whatsoever. Just makes the wallabies scrum heavier on the stats.

Yeah I don't see him being a game changer but worth a shot from Aus, they needed to try and counter being outmuscled. Trouble is they were also outthought, which Will Skelton is not going to improve!

I guess they're hoping he holds more defenders in tight, giving more space out wide. For all the (justified) praise of England's defence in the last test, they weren't tested wide like they were in the first, and failed. He should be looking to play a wide game, I'm sure Toomua is part of that.

Incidentally joe is Toomua available? He doesn't have 60 caps does he?

He technically still plays for the Brumbies so can still play for Oz. It will probably be his last cap though.

Yeah I don't see him being a game changer but worth a shot from Aus, they needed to try and counter being outmuscled. Trouble is they were also outthought, which Will Skelton is not going to improve!

I guess they're hoping he holds more defenders in tight, giving more space out wide. For all the (justified) praise of England's defence in the last test, they weren't tested wide like they were in the first, and failed. He should be looking to play a wide game, I'm sure Toomua is part of that.

Incidentally joe is Toomua available? He doesn't have 60 caps does he?

I think the 60 cap thing was just for the World Cup no ?

Anyway sky sports reporting Harrison is in for Haskell and Yarde is in for Nowell . Both forced changes Hask for injury Nowell for concussion

My biggest Worry is Matt Toomua, on form he's the World #1 Inside Centre.. Going to be a big test of Farrells temperament and experience at 12..

My biggest Worry is Matt Toomua, on form he's the World #1 Inside Centre.. Going to be a big test of Farrells temperament and experience at 12..

Toomua the best 12 in the world? I find that a somewhat ridiculous claim when he's almost always been a bench player for Oz.

The guy has it all. Great kicking game, creative, powerful runner and a solid defence.

Indeed he does, however in the past Oz coaches always seem to have thought that Giteau, Lilly and Beale were better. I'm not denying he's a very good player, but the best 12 in the world is a big claim. Especially when he plays most of his Super Rugby at 10.

England team out. Exactly the same as last week except Harrison for Haskell. Nowell still in despite concussion worries.

Eddie loves the 6-2 bench!

Should do the job nicely, hopefully we'll have to do a little less defending and some of our more dynamic bench warmers (Clifford, Daly) can make a proper impact in the final third.

Indeed he does, however in the past Oz coaches always seem to have thought that Giteau, Lilly and Beale were better. I'm not denying he's a very good player, but the best 12 in the world is a big claim. Especially when he plays most of his Super Rugby at 10.

I wouldn't say the best but definitely the most 'complete'.

He's played 12 all season with Lealiafano at 10.

Cant wait to see him and Manu in the centres for Tigers!

Can't get comfortable with the 6-2. I guess Clifford could play 12....

Pleased that Jones hasn't made any unforced changes to the team, as it sends a message that England go out with their strongest 23 available to win the 3rd test.

I massively rate Toomua and have always been surprised he doesn't get a regular start. Why serial flatterer-to-deceive Kurtley Beale has been ahead of him I don't think I'll ever understand.

EJ going for the strongest side he can, only one enforced injury change. Bring on 3-0. I never thoguht I'd feel this confident of taking the Aussies 3-0 in their own backyard, but there you go. I can't help remembering that historically dead rubbers have tended to favour the losing team but I feel ENgland are going for this, and we have genuinely outplayed Aus across two tests.

Latest posts