• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: Japan vs. Scotland (18/06/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Japan.png
Versus%20Pro%20D2.png
Scotland.png

Venue: Toyota Stadium
Time: 12:20 CAT (SA, GMT+2
)​

I was listening to the Blood and Mud podcast last week and they were discussing this tour as Scotland having to pick from where was left for touring. England in Australia, Ireland in South Africa, France in Argentina... And whilst I can understand their point of view I do disagree. Looking at the positives here I fully expect this to be a tough tour for Scotland. With Japan's showing in last years world cup and their Super Rugby team the Sunwolves making their debut season there has never been such interest in Japanese rugby, nor have Japan ever been so competitive. Japan will also be desperate to get a first ever win against a Scotland side to whom they gave a serious fright in the first half of last's years WC game between the two.

As for the Scotland squad that's been taken, I do think it's a bit of a missed opportunity in terms of selection. For example, I would have had Lee Jones in the squad after a good season for both Glasgow and Scotland 7's. Even more so when you consider that Sean Lamont was called in for an injury to Tim Visser. I am a fan of Lamont but picking him is hardly working on giving ourselves other options. I'm also a bit bemused at the exclusion of Rob Harley again. Not quite sure what he has to do to get back into a Scotland shirt.

That said, I appreciate that Cotter has taken as strong a squad as he feels he can because two wins would go a long way to working on Scotland's standing in the world placings. With that being the case I'll be expecting two good (if close) wins from Scotland.

Scotland team to face Japan

Stuart Hogg, Tommy Seymour, Duncan Taylor, Matt Scott, Damien Hoyland, Ruaridh Jackson, Greig Laidlaw; Alasdair Dickinson, Stuart McInally, Willem Nel, Richie Gray, Jonny Gray, John Barclay, John Hardie, Ryan Wilson.

Substitutes

Fraser Brown, Rory Sutherland, Moray Low, Tim Swinson, David Denton, Henry Pyrgos, Peter Horne, Sean Maitland.

Scotland is best member, while Japan is far from best member.
Anyway, I hope exciting game like NZvsWAL or ENGvsAUS!

Was an ok game for Scotland today.

Very scrappy for both teams, wasn't the most entertaining match. Ryan Wilson played a big game today. Rory Sutherland came on early to replace Al Dickinson and Sutherland really stepped up, Big carries from him making good meters, Solid in the scrum and nearly lasted the whole game. Hoyland did ok, Few missed tackles was unlucky to not score today.

not Scotland best game, today pretty shows how much Scotland misses Finn Russell but Jackson did ok.

Was an ok game for Scotland today.

Very scrappy for both teams, wasn't the most entertaining match. Ryan Wilson played a big game today. Rory Sutherland came on early to replace Al Dickinson and Sutherland really stepped up, Big carries from him making good meters, Solid in the scrum and nearly lasted the whole game. Hoyland did ok, Few missed tackles was unlucky to not score today.

not Scotland best game, today pretty shows how much Scotland misses Finn Russell but Jackson did ok.

Good result though, Japan have improved vastly in the past few seasons and the Sunwolves have proved very difficult to beat in Japan/Singapore. Japan have enjoyed victories vs Wales etc in the last few years in Japan. So a decent result for Scotland IMO.

A decent result yes but it was far too disjointed a game from Scotland and we were nowhere near clinical enough. Again passing up chances to exploit space but not thinking clearly/quickly enough. I'll be looking for a marked improvement in the second test come next Saturday.

Latest posts